Re: ~ Anatomy of an Alien ~

  • Saroda Mara
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
      This pic of Jeff's seems to show well the anatomy he has in mind.
      http://members.shaw.ca/jeffdnt/mars13.html

      It isn't as obvious in this pic, but it does show.
      http://members.shaw.ca/jeffdnt/mars20.html

      The "extended pelvic girdle" idea is what I'm using for my
      will-it-ever-be-done model.
    • Jeff Doten
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
        Extended pelvic girdle. Did I use that phrase ? If I didn't I should
        have.

        I was trying to reduce strain on an impossible spine, and give an
        anchor for 4 limbed locomotion. It has been mentioned to by artists
        from the Paramount production that I had hit on some similar anatomy
        strategies as they did, perhaps it was something like this. Or not :)
        - Jeff

        On Sep 16, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Saroda Mara wrote:

        > This pic of Jeff's seems to show well the anatomy he has in mind.
        > http://members.shaw.ca/jeffdnt/mars13.html
        >
        > It isn't as obvious in this pic, but it does show.
        > http://members.shaw.ca/jeffdnt/mars20.html
        >
        > The "extended pelvic girdle" idea is what I'm using for my
        > will-it-ever-be-done model.

        Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
        http://www.jeffdoten.com http://jeffdotensvenusianblog.blogspot.com/

      • noldo9
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2007
          Another problem here is that ribs are not just there for expanding or protecting the heart and
          lungs. Ribs also serve the purpose of giving anchor to the muscles of the upper arm. The
          scapula and clavicle are also part of that operation and allow the arm to move as freely as it
          does. Therefore, there has to be some kind of structure similar to that. Something more than
          just a socket joint on a pseudo-pelvis to allow the mid-arms to function.

          In fact, it occurs to me that the mid-arms, acting as either arms or legs, must have an even
          larger mass of muscle connecting them to the lower body if they are to work correctly. Think
          of the kind of shoulder mass that a gorilla or ape has that uses it's arms as both -- with the
          added problem of carrying the large upper body of the green man. This might mean that the
          upper section of the creature would be somewhat or considerably smaller (thinner) or lighter
          than the bottom section. I like the idea of the shorter (lower) legs, as well, since this would
          facilitate the bi-functional use of the mid-arms.

          noldo