Re: Sword and Planet

  • Saroda Mara
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
      Jack Vance wrote a quadrilogy (I think that's the word) called _Planet
      of Adventure_. The four books are:
      _City of the Chasch_
      _Servants of the Wankh_
      _The Dirdir_
      _The Pnume_

      These are S&P alright, for all that they are set in the future. I
      discovered them because _Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials_
      includes two of the four or so aliens encountered (Dirdir and Pnume).
    • gthorne60
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2007
        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, steveseg@... wrote:

        > Andrew J Offut's "Clansman of Andor" Haven't got this book by
        > Offutt. Could you expand on it for me?

        I had a big clear out when I moved abroad a few years ago so I don't
        have it any more. Its twenty years since I read it but I seem to
        remember the hero answered a strange advert looking for adventurers
        with no ties. After being selected by a secret organization, his mind
        is transmitted into the injured brain of a warlord on another planet.
        The book goes through phases where the warlord is in control, the hero
        takes over and finally he's a sort of mixture of the two.

        > Del Dowdell's "Spearmen of Arn" Good book but "Warlord of
        > Ghandor" fits the genre better.

        Its interesting to compare the ways authors get their heroes to the
        alien worlds. I think this was the one where one of the pilots of
        flight 19 flew there through the Bermuda Triangle. Thats a plot device
        I'm suprised hasn't been used more.

        > The Llarn duology by Gardner Fox and the Reglathium series
        > by Mike Sirota are among my favorites.
        >
        > Don't forget Almuric by REH and the OAK Mars, Venus and Moon
        > novels.

        I've never heard of any of these but I'll definately seek them out. I
        love REH and I've always regretted getting rid of my Conan paperbacks.
        Theres a hardback Conan Omnibus in stores (at least here in the UK)
        at the moment so I was intending to buy that soon.

        > Charles Gramlich (see Amazon.com) and Tim Jones (see
        > Lulu.com) are currently writing modern Planetary Adventure
        > in the grand tradition.

        I look into these too. I wrote my own in the late 70s (when I should
        have been studying for exams ;) Its so bad its embarassing to read now
        but sometimes I wonder if 30 years later I'm ready to try again. I
        have some plot ideas and I thought it would be good to try the
        NaNoWriMo challege in November (write 50,000 words in one month). I'm
        sure anything I came up with would be awful but it would be a good way
        to get back into writing.

        GT
      • Phil Normand
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2007
          As far as NEW S&P novels are concerned, I'm interested in seeing what
          S.M. Stirling is going to do with "In the Courts of the Crimson
          Kings," the followup to "The Sky People." Though the latter was more
          of a "cavemen/dinosaurs & planet" story, since "Courts" is a
          Burroughs-style tale as well, we may see some sword action in there.

          Phil

          Phil Normand
          phil@...
          http://www.recoverings.com