Gor

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 6, 2007
      Finally found the maps and have created a folder inthe FILES section
      called "GOR" into which I am putting the maps I have.
      I know it's not ERB but I was asked for them and will delete the
      folder when people are tired of it.

      Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

      Please note: message attached

    • Saroda Mara
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 6, 2007
        This is cool. I've found a few also, and you and and I seem to only
        have one in common. Would you like me to upload the ones I found?
      • Rick Johnson
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 6, 2007
          Sure.
          Although not a Gor fan like I am a Barsoom fan (I've never written a
          Gor story or article) I think having people add their own info and
          maps to any of the files is good.
          At the least, it gives theGor fans some more info they may like.

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 7, 2007
            --- In barsoom, "Rick Johnson" wrote:

            > Sure.
            > Although not a Gor fan like I am a Barsoom fan (I've never written a
            > Gor story or article) I think having people add their own info and
            > maps to any of the files is good.
            > At the least, it gives theGor fans some more info they may like.

            Done. I only had it announce one, but there are four of them. I hope
            everybody will forgive me for the PUNishment I threw in, and I hope
            nobody feels that their ox has been Gor-ed...
            AAUUGH! I did it AGAIN!
          • Don Lee
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 8, 2007
              Although I have read Burroughs and many of his contemporaries, somehow other I never read the Gor books. I've lately started the Kregen books and think they're great. Could somebody fill me in on Gor? They're also sword & planet, correct?

              Don

            • friendlypuffin
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 8, 2007
                I remember receiving a Gor book as a teenager for Christmas once.
                Whatever possessed my brother to buy I'll never know because the best
                bit was the cover art (scantily clad large breasted women), the story
                was just plain silly. I think it was called Slaves of Gor or
                something. Nowhere near as good as ERB, and a lot else.

                --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Den Valdron <dgvaldron@...> wrote:

                > I'm not especially anti-Norman. I don't think his
                > writing was up to the level of a Burroughs or Kline,
                > or a Carter or Resnick.
                >
                > Rather, I see him as being essentially similar to guys
                > like Ed Wood, or Russ Meyer, or Jess Franco. Guys
                > whose particular obsessions or fixations manage to
                > transcend the limitations of their talent and give
                > their work a significance and power it would not
                > otherwise have. I admire that.
                >
                > On the other hand, I suspect that Russ Meyer's over
                > the top breast fixation would leave most women cold.
                > Ed Wood's passionate incompetent idealism is an
                > acquired taste.
                >
                > And as for John Norman, well, I just don't buy into
                > his sexual politics. I can understand it, appreciate
                > it, even respect it, but basically, it just leaves me
                > cold.
                >
                > Yes, he took a vein of stuff that was implicit in the
                > genre, or could be found in the genre, and he blew it
                > up to outrageous and extreme proportions and made a
                > success of it.
                >
                > Good for him.
                >
                > On the other hand, I tend to ascribe a lot of the
                > decline and disappearance of the 'swords and planets'
                > genre to the pathological spin he put on it.
                >
                > To be fair, the genre was already in trouble, largely
                > because other writers like Resnick and Carter were
                > failing to actually do anything new with it. Gor
                > stood out in a genre that was otherwise getting stale.
                > And that was the kiss of death.
                >

                > --- Bill and Sue-On Hillman <hillmans@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > An anti Norman/Gor blogger:
                > >
                > http://diewachen.blogspot.com/2007/07/sexist-degrading-bullshit-ii-
                comic-book.html
                > > JoN

                > > removed]
                > >

                > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
                junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
                http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

              • Saroda Mara
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 8, 2007
                  The Gor books are indeed sword & planet. The planet Gor is in the
                  same orbit as Earth, but exactly on the other side of the sun (thus we
                  car see it, because the sun is always in the way). It has an Earthman
                  who finds himself there and he has adventures.

                  Some people think they really, really suck, while others find them
                  quite good. They seem to be love 'em or hate 'em books. After the
                  fifth or sixth or so, they really, really start to get into the whole
                  "men want to be masters and women want to be slaves" business, and
                  there's a lot of tying up and domination and slave girls and such.
                  And of course these women are much happier being bought, sold, and
                  used for sexual entertainment than they ever were being free human beings.

                  Like I said, they're pretty much love 'em or hate 'em.
                • Jeff Doten
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 8, 2007
                    Resnick wasn't doing anything with it other than the Ganymede book
                    was he ? He never did anything 'real' in the field as far as I know
                    ( didn't he ?) - Jeff

                    On Aug 8, 2007, at 5:17 PM, friendlypuffin wrote:

                    > I remember receiving a Gor book as a teenager for Christmas once.
                    > Whatever possessed my brother to buy I'll never know because the best
                    > bit was the cover art (scantily clad large breasted women), the story
                    > was just plain silly. I think it was called Slaves of Gor or
                    > something. Nowhere near as good as ERB, and a lot else.
                    >
                    > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Den Valdron <dgvaldron@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm not especially anti-Norman. I don't think his
                    > > writing was up to the level of a Burroughs or Kline,
                    > > or a Carter or Resnick.
                    > >
                    > > Rather, I see him as being essentially similar to guys
                    > > like Ed Wood, or Russ Meyer, or Jess Franco. Guys
                    > > whose particular obsessions or fixations manage to
                    > > transcend the limitations of their talent and give
                    > > their work a significance and power it would not
                    > > otherwise have. I admire that.
                    > >
                    > > On the other hand, I suspect that Russ Meyer's over
                    > > the top breast fixation would leave most women cold.
                    > > Ed Wood's passionate incompetent idealism is an
                    > > acquired taste.
                    > >
                    > > And as for John Norman, well, I just don't buy into
                    > > his sexual politics. I can understand it, appreciate
                    > > it, even respect it, but basically, it just leaves me
                    > > cold.
                    > >
                    > > Yes, he took a vein of stuff that was implicit in the
                    > > genre, or could be found in the genre, and he blew it
                    > > up to outrageous and extreme proportions and made a
                    > > success of it.
                    > >
                    > > Good for him.
                    > >
                    > > On the other hand, I tend to ascribe a lot of the
                    > > decline and disappearance of the 'swords and planets'
                    > > genre to the pathological spin he put on it.
                    > >
                    > > To be fair, the genre was already in trouble, largely
                    > > because other writers like Resnick and Carter were
                    > > failing to actually do anything new with it. Gor
                    > > stood out in a genre that was otherwise getting stale.
                    > > And that was the kiss of death.
                    > >

                    > > --- Bill and Sue-On Hillman <hillmans@...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > An anti Norman/Gor blogger:
                    > > >
                    > > http://diewachen.blogspot.com/2007/07/sexist-degrading-bullshit-ii-
                    > comic-book.html
                    > > > JoN

                    > > > removed]
                    > > >

                    > > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
                    > junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
                    > http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

                    Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
                    http://www.jeffdoten.com http://jeffdotensvenusianblog.blogspot.com/

                  • Hugh K. Singh
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 8, 2007
                      Not so much S&P as S&M and B&D......but there are books where you can
                      read every other chapter and get one story and the alternating ones give
                      you another story.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 9, 2007
                        In a message dated 8/8/07 20:42:01, fraterspacedruid@... writes:

                        > They're also sword & planet, correct?

                        Sword and perversion would be a better label. The first couple are okay,
                        though derivative. They go downhill --WAY downhill -- from there. I think I
                        quit after #4 or #5.

                      • Ghak
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 10, 2007
                          At 01:41 AM 8/10/2007 -0400, jhuckenp@... wrote:
                          >Sword and perversion would be a better label. The first couple are okay,
                          >though derivative. They go downhill --WAY downhill -- from
                          >there. I think I quit after #4 or #5.

                          I think I quit after #7.

                          Ghak
                        • Rick Johnson

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 10, 2007
                              --- Ghak <svwadding@...> wrote:

                              > At 01:41 AM 8/10/2007 -0400, jhuckenp@... wrote:
                              > >there. I think I quit after #4 or #5.
                              >
                              > I think I quit after #7.
                              >
                              > Ghak

                              I have read all of the Gor novels. I also agree that
                              the sex 'n' slaves bit is way overdone, but once
                              getting past this, these are great adventure novels.
                              There were many times I skipped several pages just to
                              get back into the adventure. I have hard copies of
                              all the novels and also ebooks that I go back and read
                              from time to time.

                              -- Don

                              -- Blessed are the Cracked, for it is they that let in the Light to the World... (author unknown)

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 10, 2007
                                I read the first couple. I thought they were rather
                                unimaginative pastiches of Burroughs style and works,
                                the only thing distinctive was what a dickhead the
                                protagonist was. Then I skipped ahead to the tenth.
                                That stopped me cold.

                                Gor, for better or worse, is a specialist taste. I'm
                                just not the audience.

                                --- Ghak <svwadding@...> wrote:

                                > At 01:41 AM 8/10/2007 -0400, jhuckenp@... wrote:
                                > >Sword and perversion would be a better label. The
                                > first couple are okay,
                                > >though derivative. They go downhill --WAY
                                > downhill -- from
                                > >there. I think I quit after #4 or #5.
                                >
                                > I think I quit after #7.
                                >
                                > Ghak

                                Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca
                              • gthorne60
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 14, 2007
                                  --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Don Lee <fraterspacedruid@...> wrote:

                                  > Could somebody fill me in on Gor? They're also sword & planet, correct?

                                  Yes, they're clearly Sword and Planet and the early ones a definately
                                  a Burroughs pastiche.

                                  From the other messages in this thread you'll already have an
                                  impression of the problem with Gor. There is actually very little sex
                                  in the books, but the later ones are full of an incredibly boring
                                  discussion about the "natural" roles of men and women, and as the
                                  series progresses the treatment of the women characters becomes more
                                  and more barbaric. I loved the early books but even I had to give up
                                  eventually.

                                  Numbers 1 to 5 are definately worth reading.

                                  #1 Tarnsman, #2 Outlaw and #3 Priest-Kings make a nice little trilogy.
                                  They're almost pure adventure with only a hint of the sexual politics
                                  that came later.

                                  My favourites are probably #4 Nomads and #5 Assassin which have great
                                  stories and great characters. The slave culture is more prominant in
                                  these books but the hero Tarl Cabot is still generally opposed to it
                                  and his leading lady, Elizabeth Cardwell, is a strong and heroic
                                  character. These books started to merge different genres in a really
                                  interesting way and they're as much medieval James Bond as John Carter.

                                  In #6 Raiders the hero goes through a transformation (when faced with
                                  certain death he discovers a cowardly streak, begs for his life and
                                  ends up despising himself). This doesn't make sense because of the
                                  number of times he's been mindlessly brave in the previous books, but
                                  if gives John Norman the chance to make him more of an anti-hero from
                                  that point on. This is also the point where the sexual politics starts
                                  to become unpleasant (and extremely boring). I started finding myself
                                  skipping several pages of sexual discussion to find the action.

                                  #7 Captive is garbage. Its written from the point of a slave girl. At
                                  best its extremely tedious and at worst its extremely unpleasant.
                                  Theres one scene at the end which is sort of important to the series
                                  but frankly I'd skip it - you'd pick up the plot later.

                                  #8 Hunters, #9 Marauders and #10 Tribesmen are quite a nice sequence.
                                  Theres a truely brilliant scene at the end of Hunters where Tarl
                                  Cabot redeems himself, in Marauders you finally get to meet the
                                  monsters who are invading Gor, amd Tribesmen bizarrely and
                                  successfully manages to merge elements from John Carter, James Bond,
                                  Lord of the Rings and Jaws. Be warned though, at this point I was
                                  definately skipping whole chapters of "'No', she said. 'Yes', I said,
                                  'Oh' she sighed" looking for the action.

                                  #11 Slave Girl is another #7 Captive and is to be avoided.

                                  After that I quickly got tired. #12 Beasts and #13 Explorers had their
                                  good points but by this time the negatives had worn me down and I gave up.

                                  GT
                                • Peter Huston
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 29, 2008
                                    I did a quick search on google news forĀ  John Norman as well as John Frederick Lange, Jr. (his real name) and did find any obituaries.

                                    My guess is he is alive and doing well.

                                    I did find this though (warning creepy):

                                    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1091295/Sex-cult-leader-paraded-girlfriend-leash-jailed-years.html%c2%a0

                                  • Rick Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 29, 2008
                                      Re the News article ;

                                      Even more crepy when you consider that I am a Pagan too and people like this give us ALL a bad name.

                                      Rick Johnson,
                                      PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
                                      geocities.com/RikJohnson39
                                      "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security will soon find that they have neither!"

                                      Please note: message attached

                                    • sailor.barsoom
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 29, 2008
                                        For the most part, it doesn't sound that bad. There were
                                        some women who wanted to play at being sex slaves, and Lee
                                        Thompson was happy to play at being a sex master.

                                        Now, while the Gor books would have us believe that EVERY
                                        woman wants to be a sex slave, what happened with Thompson
                                        seems closer to reality: SOME women were interested in
                                        trying it out and, once they had the chance, SOME OF THOSE
                                        decided they liked it, while the others soon found it to
                                        no longer be interesting or fun and so moved on to find
                                        other amusements.
                                      • Rick Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 29, 2008
                                          >>For the most part, it doesn't sound that bad. There were some women who wanted to play at being sex slaves, and Lee Thompson was happy to play at being a sex master.

                                          As a curiosity:
                                          I teach a class on the Inquisition (plus its modern counterparts) and to emphasise what went on, I have a display of various torture instruments:
                                          cat-o-nine-tails
                                          eye-gouge
                                          bodkins
                                          thumb-screws,
                                          etc...

                                          ...as well as a slide show if the typical interrogation.
                                          And i finish it up with modern example of what our enlightened police and national heros do 'in the interests of security and law' to show that the inquisitors are really not all that distant from us.

                                          The interesting thing is that I made an authentic cat-o-nine-tails from the original records of the British Navy and THAT one thing is always fondled and caressed my most of the women in the class.
                                          I wish my wife had caressed me so lovingly.

                                          I also own a set of medieval manacles (and leather ones too) for the class and whenever a woman comments "I can't imagine any woman submitting to those disgusting things", I always hold them out and say, "Let me see your hands" and instantly, they always hold their hand out for me to manacle.
                                          When I ask how that makes them feel, one said "very wet". The others tell me, "embarassed but excited."

                                          go figure!

                                          The thing I complain about in that article is that the guy a) paraded his woman in public to the ire of the locals and b) left the impression that we pagans do that as a normal lifestyle.