ERBzine: The Feral Children Project ~ 100 Webpages ~ Thousands of Print-Out Pages of rare editions

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      Bill Hillman's ERBzine:
      Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Tribute & Online Fanzine Site
      Since 1996 ~ Over 5,000 Webpages in Archive
      A new edition is launched every Friday at:
      www.erbzine.com/mag
      January 5 - 11, 2007
      OUR MAMMOTH
      FERAL CHILDREN PROJECT
      ISSUE
      From George Dodds (Ph.D) ~ McGill University ~ Canada

      ERBzine kicks off the New Year with our biggest issue yet!

      100 Web Pages
      Many thousands of print-out pages
      Over 70 Rare Texts in Downloadable Format
      Hundreds of 19th Century Line-Art Illustrations
      Documentation Notes
      Comparison Chart
      Reference Links
      Countless Hours in Preparation

      Come back often . . .
      . . . many more editions are in the works . . . as well as ongoing text revisions.
      www.erbzine.com/mag

      The most famous feral child in fiction is probably Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan. The character was introduced in Burroughs' 1912 novel, Tarzan of the Apes, and soon became a cultural icon. John "Tarzan" Clayton, the young orphan of Lord and Lady Greystoke, was raised by an advanced "missing link" tribe of anthropoids in the African jungles. He learned their rudimentary language as a young child and later taught himself to read from his dead parents' collection of primers and other children picture books -- an interesting case study. Using this fictional character as a rallying point I have worked with Dr. Georges Dodds of McGill University here in Canada to present and document almost 100 feral-related works that inspired this literary phenomenon. We believe that the discovery and perusal of these many thousands of pages and illustrations will serve as an impetus for further research in the field.
      ~ William G. Hillman ~ Assistant Professor ~ Brandon University ~ Brandon, MB Canada

      www.erbzine.com/mag