Re: [barsoom] another conversion project.

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
      >>-- "Francis D. A. P Tiffany" <francis.tiffany3@...> wrote:
      >>Dear All,
      >>Surely Hyborea should use Ancient measuring units - such as cubits,
      palms, talents and so on....
      >>All the best
      >>Francis

      I don't think that all of them would. Cubits (the length of your
      forearm from belt elbow to the tip of your longest finger) is about
      18" and is mostly mid-east.
      West Europe used other names until they reached 'civilization' status
      and established inches, feet, etc, all based essentiually on Henry
      VIII's body but legally three barleycorns laid end-to-end.

      A mile was a thousand paces but Rome used the two step pace and other
      nations used single step pace and the taler nations had longer miles
      than the shorter nations.

      I've got pages and pages of measurements from differnt medieval
      nations so am thinking of a few base meaurements like "Western" being
      Nemedia to the ocean, "Eastern" being anythign past Turan including
      Meru, Khitai and Hykrania, "Mid-East" being Turan and south
      and "Southern" being Shem and Stygia which whould be similar to "Mid-
      East" and maybe "Northern" being Cimmeria north.

      Still working on it and if I have a chance between teaching that Kayak
      Class Sunday and finishing my Viking/Russian costume, I will colate
      them into something useable.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
        Dear All,

        I think you mean Henry II....

        All the best

        Francis

        On 1 Dec 2006, at 17:38, Rick Johnson wrote:
        > West Europe used other names until they reached 'civilization' status
        > and established inches, feet, etc, all based essentiually on Henry
        > VIII's body but legally three barleycorns laid end-to-end.

      • Phil Normand
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
          Some time ago someone asked about suppliers for large globes to make a
          Barsoomian globe. This place might do the trick. Prices are not too bad for
          a 12 inch solid ball. And you could use it as a base to mold your own relief
          globe from papier mache. . .

          http://www.shapeformation.com/styrofoam_balls_index.htm

          Phil
          --
          Phil Normand
          Normand Design & Recoverings
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2006
            http://www.convertit.com/Go/ConvertIt/Measurement/Converter.ASP

            Probably doesn't have any haads, but it's still pretty good.