colours on barsoom

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
      One curious thing that I have wondered at was a comment by John Carter
      about Barsoom having the seven primarycolors PLUS TWO more that are
      UNKNOWN on earth.

      Ok. the human eye can only see in alimited set of wavelengths. And
      if a color exists within that range we can see it. There are no
      hidden colors that humans are able to see.

      BUT, some wasps can see into the UV (look at an orchid under 'balck-
      lite') and mosquitoes can see into the IR.

      So.. I think that somehow when Humans transfer to Barsoom, their eyes
      are expanded to see into the UV or IR????

      I don't know how but as we cansee every color that exists in our
      visual range, to see 2 new colors on Barsoom implies that they are
      looking into the IR or UV (probably UV) and that implies that the eye
      structure was expanded somehow.

      And if the eyes were modified to see a wider range, maybe the lungs
      were modified to breath the rarified air and maybe the digestion was
      modified to eat the alien proteins?

      Just commenting ehre and Den Valdorn's Astral Location theory and
      the 'normalizing'(?) of the body when it arrives can explain that well.

      I was wondering if anyone else had a theory?

      Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
        Interesting thought.

        Off the top of my head, the only other thing I can
        think of is that the atmosphere of Barsoom is of a
        slightly different composition from Earth, and light
        filters through it differently, possibly shifting or
        expanding the spectrum in peculiar ways.

        --- Rick Johnson <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

        > One curious thing that I have wondered at was a
        > comment by John Carter
        > about Barsoom having the seven primarycolors PLUS
        > TWO more that are
        > UNKNOWN on earth.
        >
        > Ok. the human eye can only see in alimited set of
        > wavelengths. And
        > if a color exists within that range we can see it.
        > There are no
        > hidden colors that humans are able to see.
        >
        > BUT, some wasps can see into the UV (look at an
        > orchid under 'balck-
        > lite') and mosquitoes can see into the IR.
        >
        > So.. I think that somehow when Humans transfer to
        > Barsoom, their eyes
        > are expanded to see into the UV or IR????
        >
        > I don't know how but as we cansee every color that
        > exists in our
        > visual range, to see 2 new colors on Barsoom implies
        > that they are
        > looking into the IR or UV (probably UV) and that
        > implies that the eye
        > structure was expanded somehow.
        >
        > And if the eyes were modified to see a wider range,
        > maybe the lungs
        > were modified to breath the rarified air and maybe
        > the digestion was
        > modified to eat the alien proteins?
        >
        > Just commenting ehre and Den Valdorn's Astral
        > Location theory and
        > the 'normalizing'(?) of the body when it arrives can
        > explain that well.
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone else had a theory?
        >

        > Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
        > http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
        > http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
        > http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

        > Try Juno Platinum for Free! Then, only $9.95/month!
        > Unlimited Internet Access with 1GB of Email Storage.
        > Visit http://www.juno.com/value to sign up today!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Saroda Mara
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
          I read something a year or so ago about tetrachromatic vision. I
          would've forgotten it, too, had it not mentioned that one result of
          giving humans tetrachromatic vision is that we would BE ABLE TO SEE
          TWO NEW COLOURS. So when Rick posted this, I googled on
          "tetrachromatic vision" and found this.

          http://www.slate.com/id/2079371
          http://www.sciencephoto.com/search/searchLogic.html?subtype=feature&searchstring=Tetrachromatic+Vision&featureid=863
          http://the-mouse-trap.blogspot.com/2006/07/4-or-more-cone-vision-tetrachromancy.html
          http://www.mail-archive.com/tips@.../msg09740.html

          It should be noted that about half of the population can't tell the
          difference between blue and indigo. To some, they are distinct
          colours; to others, they are not. So maybe JC is able (while on
          Barsoom) to make distinctions that could not be made before.
        • leathem mehaffey
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
            "Colors" are simply a way we have of describing the sensation gotten
            when visual pigments are excited by photons. While the electromagnetic
            spectrum is almost infinite (from gamma waves to radio waves) we
            perceive only photons falling in a narrow range (450 to 700 nanometers
            wavelength). IR is too low-energy to be absorbed by our pigments and in
            any case has too long a wavelength to be much good at forming images; UV
            is too high-energy, and risks damaging pigments, so our eyes are
            protected with an intrinsic yellow filter called the "macula lutea" and
            a slightly yellow lens (insects that see in the UV spend more energy on
            regenerating damaged pigments). However the reason we see discrete
            "colors" in a continuous spectrum has to do with how the eye interprets
            the different signals from each of our three photopigments. A given
            wavelength is absorbed differently by each pigment since the pigments
            are differently sensitive to specific wavelengths. Toward the ends of
            the spectrum (blue and red), only one or two pigments are absorbing and
            so we don't see as many discrete colors (compare the narrow "yellow"
            [three pigments absorbing] to the broad "red" [two or even one pigment
            absorbing] bands of the spectrum). However, with more pigments, there
            would be more differentiation - for example, many reptiles have as many
            as five "pigments" (actually they may have fewer pigments, but they have
            several different colors of oil droplets in front of some receptors,
            effectively increasing the number of pigments). Thus, for example, with
            three pigments active in the red end of the spectrum one would see not
            just "red", but multiple colors for which, since we can't see them, we
            have no names.

            Thus the biology. How this might be achieved in humans, I haven't a
            clue.

            Leathem