Re: ERBzine: ERB: Science & Religion ~ Reason & Superstition ~ Religions of Bars

  • archangelofmars
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
      I'm guessing this is the 'Halloween' edition of ERBzine?

      Apart from the ERB: Science & Religion article, The SELECTIVE
      collection of quotes from other authors, etc. taken as a whole is a
      thinly veiled anti-religious tirade, most of the venom being directed
      at Christians, specifically Catholics. In contrast to the attitude
      espoused by ERB, it smacks of intolerance. Apparently someone has a
      chip on their shoulder. Well OK, a person's feelings are a person's
      feelings. Fair enough. However...

      When someone expresses their thoughts and feelings using their own
      words (and occasionally citing others to illustrate their argument) I
      respect and support their right to do so. But the one who shouts
      spite while hiding behind the 'authority' of famous writers and other
      notables is no less ignoble than the one who does the same while
      hiding behind the 'authority' of a robe or a pulpit.

      But I stll love ya!

      On a marginally related topic, a joke comes to mind:

      A minister is about to give an illustration for his sermon. He asks
      a young child to come forward.

      MINISTER: "What's small and furry, has a big bushy tail, and likes
      to eat nuts?"

      CHILD: "I know the right answer is 'Jesus', but it SURE sounds
      like a squirrel!"

      Peace, Barsoomians.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
        Bill Hillman's ERBzine:
        Official Edgar Rice Burroughs Tribute & Online Fanzine Site
        Since 1996 ~ Over 5,000 Webpages in Archive
        A new edition is launched every Friday at:
        www.erbzine.com/mag
        November 3 - 9, 2006
        ====================
        FEATURE 1: ERBzine 1434
        ====================
        Burroughs' Thoughts on Science and Religion
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag14/1434.html

        ======================
        FEATURE 2: ERBzine 1434a
        ======================
        Quotes on Reason and Superstition
        From a Selection of Free-Thinking Authors
        Featured in the
        Personal Library of Edgar Rice Burroughs
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag14/1434a.html

        =====================
        FEATURE 3: ERBzine 1434b
        =====================
        From our Motes & Quotes Series
        More Quotes on Reason vs Superstition and the Supernatural
        From Free-Thinking Authors, Past and Present
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag14/1434b.html

        ======================
        FEATURE 4: ERBzine 1741
        ======================
        Den Valdron's Fantasy Worlds of ERB Series Presents
        RELIGIONS OF BARSOOM II
        Read Part I in ERBzine 1416
        by Den Valdron
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag17/1741.html

        =====================
        FEATURE 5: ERBzine 1692e
        =====================
        Themes and Variations: The Tarzan Novels Of Edgar Rice Burroughs
        #18: Tarzan and the Lion Man by R. E. Prindle
        Part 6: The Centre of the Circle
        Part Six of the longest and most in-depth analysis and review of any ERB novel.
        "I consider this novel to be the magnum opus of the Tarzan series."
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag16/1692e.html

        ====================
        FEATURE 6: ERBzine 1724
        ====================
        Jahlanna of Pellucidar
        A 175,000-word serialized novel by
        Sean Edward Phillips
        This Week: Parts 10 - 12
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag17/1724.html

        ====================
        FEATURE 7: ERBzine 1714
        ====================
        An Artist Journal
        Tarzan of the Apes Part I
        "The Mangani"
        by David Burton
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag17/1714.html

        =========================
        FEATURE 8: Archive ERBzine 1120
        =========================
        Religious Themes in the Novels of
        Edgar Rice Burroughs
        by
        Robert B. Zeuschner, Ph.D.
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag11/1120.html

        ==========================
        FEATURE 9 Update: ERBzine 1494
        ==========================
        Den Valdron's Exploring ERB Series
        Presents
        UNRAVELLING AMTOR
        Following in the Footprints of Matching Mars
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag14/1494.html

        ==========================
        FEATURE 10 Archive: ERBzine 1450
        ==========================
        What's Going On?
        Edgar Rice Burroughs Among The Dystopians
        by R.E. Prindle
        http://www.erbzine.com/mag14/1450.html

        =================================
        FEATURE 11 Updates:
        =================================
        ERBzine News
        www.ERBzine.com/news
        Elmo's Dateline Jasoom Podcasts
        New Tarzan Boxed DVD Set: Weissmuller RKO Years
        Danton Burroughs introduces a video tour of Tarzana
        ERB Swag Shop
        New ERB-Related Books & Memorabilia
        www.ERBzine.com/swag
        David Fury's Maureen O'Sullivan Bio
        David Burton's Illustrated A Princess of Mars
        Jerry Schneider's ERBville Press updates
        New George McWhorter Book: Isak Dinesen
        Darrell Richardson: Old Tiger Releases: St. John
        ERBzine Dum-Dum Dossier
        www.ERBzine.com/dumdum
        ERB Web Refs ~ Hundreds of Links
        http://www.ERBzine.com/all/links.html

        NEXT WEEK:
        Ron De Laat's Newspaper Archive: The Return of Tarzan
        Tarzan and the Lion Man: Review Pt. 7: by R.E. Prindle
        Another article by Den Valdron
        David Burton Artist Journal: Tarzan of the Apes
        Jahlanna of Pellucidar A 175,000-word novel by Sean Edwards Phillips - Parts 13-15
        Danton Burroughs Tarzana Archive: Russ Manning Sunday Pages
        Archive: R.E. Prindle:
        Archive: Den Valdron's Exploring Barsoom Series:

        =====================================
        Submissions and Comments are always welcome:
        erbzine@...

        ERBzine Weekly Online Fanzine
        www.ERBzine.com
        Hillman ERB Cosmos Archive: +5,000 Web pages
        www.ERBzine.com/all
        Visit the ERB, Inc. Websites at:
        www.Tarzan.com

      • Saroda Mara
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
          > ==========================
          > FEATURE 10 Archive: ERBzine 1450
          > ==========================
          > What's Going On?
          > Edgar Rice Burroughs Among The Dystopians
          > by R.E. Prindle
          > http://www.erbzine.com/mag14/1450.html

          At the end of this are the words:
          The views expressed by Mr. Prindle in his series of articles
          are not necessarily those held by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.

          I would imagine not.
          Gotta watch out for them Semites.
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
            I'm quite a bit behind in my reading. But I took some
            time out to look over ERB Among the Dystopians. My
            thanks to Saroda Mara for drawing my attention to it.

            There's an interpretation of history here which seems
            both novel and unorthodox in contemporary terms, and
            which strikes me as hard to support in any coherent
            way.

            I will not attribute these views to Mr. Prindle per
            se, but will acknowledge that there is a certain
            history to them.

            Unfortunately, I think that history has been generally
            incorrect. The notion of semitic tribes or a semitic
            race restlessly infiltrating and destroying one
            civilization after another, including the Sumerians,
            Romans and most recently the Germans seems at best
            farfetched. The phrase 'Semito-communist' seems a bit
            over the top. The notion that we're involved in some
            Semitic World War and that Israel and the Arabs are
            both fundamentally the same with slightly different
            approaches to world domination seems profoundly
            misplaced.

            Politics and economics, demographic shifts, natural
            processes do more to explain the rise and fall of
            cultures and civilizations. I think that there's no
            real substance to a conspiracy theory notion of
            western civilization. And I must say, I'm awfully
            damned tired with this whole 'clash of civilizations'
            meme that pollutes public discussion on the so called
            'war on terror.'

            It also strikes me as somewhat tasteless to quibble
            over six million dead in the Holocaust. Again, its
            not a debate that I'm prepared to countenance or
            engage. I'll instead refer to the meta-reality that
            tends to surround such notions. Every now and then
            I'll read some impassioned treatise comparing Hitler
            to Stalin. Both are obviously monsters, but somehow,
            the subliminal message is that compared to Stalin...
            Hitler wasn't such a bad guy. The invitation is to
            rehabilitate Hitler through a game of moral
            relativism. So it goes with those who claim that
            America really won the Vietnam war but was betrayed at
            home by hippies, and those who argue that the American
            Civil War wasn't about slavery... and so on, and so
            forth. Generally, the argument that it wasn't really
            six million is another bit of rehabilitation through
            moral relativism. As if perhaps five and a half
            million isn't so bad. One million would have been too
            many. A hundred thousand would have been too many. A
            thousand would have been too many. One was too much.
            There are some games that we should never play, some
            lines of discussion that go nowhere good.

            I will not accuse Mr. Prindle of attempting to
            rehabilitate Hitler, nor will I suggest that he is a
            racist of any stripe. However, I will observe that he
            has articulated views and arguments which have been
            thoroughly exploded and have often been the province
            of outright racists, paranoids and dangerously
            unsavoury characters.

            I've said my piece, now I'm going to go back to
            charting out hidden histories in imaginary worlds.
            Mr. Prindle has had some very interesting reflections
            on Burroughs work in the context of Burroughs life.
            This old world has enough grief going on without
            imaginary histories being added to it.

            Den Valdron

            --- Saroda Mara <xenophile2002@...> wrote:

            > > ==========================
            > > FEATURE 10 Archive: ERBzine 1450
            > > ==========================
            > > What's Going On?
            > > Edgar Rice Burroughs Among The Dystopians
            > > by R.E. Prindle
            > > http://www.erbzine.com/mag14/1450.html
            >
            > At the end of this are the words:
            > The views expressed by Mr. Prindle in his series of
            > articles
            > are not necessarily those held by Edgar Rice
            > Burroughs, Inc.
            >

            > I would imagine not.
            > Gotta watch out for them Semites.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • archangelofmars
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
              It's because of the incendiary little intellectual fart-bombs that
              Mr. Prindle likes to scatter through his articles that I stopped
              reading them. What's more, in an on-line debate that ERBzine featured
              once it was clear that Mr. Prindle would not take ownership of these
              little nuggets. "Smartypants dodgeball" just isn't my thing.