Warhoons

  • rkayanan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23 9:59 PM
      http://rafaelkayanan.blogstream.com/v1/pid/127961_WARHOONS.html#TP

      Old roughs which were my first run through.
      However, check out Rodolfo's work which I also linked to.
      I hadn't seen those JCoM pics posted on his site when I was on the Conran
      team, so they may be for Fav's.

      Rodolfo is one of the best storyboarders in the biz.

      --Rafael Kayanan--
    • Saroda Mara
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24 10:15 AM
        What I like about Rodolfo's Warhoons is that they are clearly not the
        standard man-stacked-on-man variety. In fact, they are quite clearly
        non-human altogether. What I do NOT like about them is the jackel
        jaws, the stripey/spotty pattern, and other decidedly non-Greeny
        features. But in the background, there seem to be actual Greenies.
        So I'm a bit confewzled.

        Mr. Kayanan, your Green Men are scary. That's a good thing, of course.
      • rkayanan
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24 11:04 AM
          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Saroda Mara" <xenophile2002@...>
          wrote:

          > What I like about Rodolfo's Warhoons is that they are clearly not the
          > standard man-stacked-on-man variety. In fact, they are quite clearly
          > non-human altogether. What I do NOT like about them is the jackel
          > jaws, the stripey/spotty pattern, and other decidedly non-Greeny
          > features. But in the background, there seem to be actual Greenies.
          > So I'm a bit confewzled.

          I believe the Green men in the BG are with Tars. The art direction was that
          there was supposed to be a physical difference between the Warhoons and
          other Green Men.

          Rodolfo being the board artist probably followed what was already designed
          by another concept artist... it may have been McCaig's.

          > Mr. Kayanan, your Green Men are scary. That's a good thing, of course.

          Thanks! One thing I had stressed was that when the viewer first lays eyes on
          the Green Men (Warhoons or not)... they should like they were adept with
          weapons and were visually intimidating. That they could take out one of
          Jackson's Orcs.

          I always found it odd that artists drew Tharks as if they didn't know how to
          coordinate four limbs to wield weapons. They had all their lives to get better
          and several generations to pass down what works and what didn't. I'm pretty
          sure it was the sword instructor in me rather than the fantasy artist that was
          being a stickler about those details.

          --Rafael--
        • jeffdnt@mac.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25 8:21 AM
            I too appreciate the not-standard-stacked thing ( I really hate that
            look actually ) and did think, that maybe there was species
            differance, not a bad idea for film, even if I might not like the
            jaws. I did notice on the character page that there were blue men and
            yellow men and a 'space man' - so they seemed to be adding races and
            such to barsoom. - Jeff

            On Sep 24, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Saroda Mara wrote:

            > What I like about Rodolfo's Warhoons is that they are clearly not the
            > standard man-stacked-on-man variety. In fact, they are quite clearly
            > non-human altogether. What I do NOT like about them is the jackel
            > jaws, the stripey/spotty pattern, and other decidedly non-Greeny
            > features. But in the background, there seem to be actual Greenies.
            > So I'm a bit confewzled.
            >
            > Mr. Kayanan, your Green Men are scary. That's a good thing, of course.

            Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
            http://www.jeffdoten.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25 10:25 AM
              Well, I'm in no position to criticize art, since I'm
              barely able to draw a stick figure.

              But it strikes me that the Warhoons are overdressed,
              and rather amazingly bulky for Burroughs descriptions.
              Remember 10 to 15 feet tall and 400 lbs? The
              critters were practically stick figures.

              That said, its up to the artist to do his own
              interpretation. And I guess its up to me to decide if
              I like it.

              On the other hand, the 'character' sketches for
              Princess of Mars seem profoundly misplaced and
              altogether generic. I assume the 'spaceman' is John
              Carter? Or just a random spacemen, perhaps from
              Zasturi. The beautiful blonde is definitely *not*
              Dejah Thoris, and the costume doesn't come close to
              anything Burroughs references. She might be Phaidor
              from Gods of Mars, but frankly, I assume she's a
              random blonde. The black characters again might be
              First Born from Gods of Mars, or maybe not. The blue
              man isn't from anywhere, unless we've decided to
              change the Okar or First Born from black or yellow to
              blue.

              So, my thinking is 'character sketches for Princess of
              Mars' my ass. What this may be are generic character
              sketches designed to show he could do characters for
              Princess of Mars.

              http://mail.yahoo.com