Green Martian Models for Poser, 3D studio, Bryce?

  • Guy Hoyle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
      Does anybody know where I can get a 3d model of a Green Martian figure for
      Poser, 3D Studio, or Bryce? I'm just beginning to learn how to use Poser, so
      I'm not yet capable of creating one myself, but I can import from one of
      these formats into Poser. Any advice on how to create one would be much
      appreciated as well.

      Guy
    • Jeff Doten
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
        What a great idea ! I just got poser myself. As an Illustrator I intend to
        use it as a figure maniquin. This will allow me to deal with tough poses
        while still showing my hand in the work. Although I'm new at it, I have
        read a little about wrapping texture maps around the figures for color and
        such.

        Let's see what others have to say, but maybe a group effort would make this
        happen. - Jeff

        barsoom@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        >Does anybody know where I can get a 3d model of a Green Martian figure
        >for
        >Poser, 3D Studio, or Bryce? I'm just beginning to learn how to use Poser,
        >so
        >I'm not yet capable of creating one myself, but I can import from one of
        >these formats into Poser. Any advice on how to create one would be much
        >appreciated as well.
        >
        >Guy

        Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus project
        http//www.jeffdoten.com
      • Guy Hoyle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
          Hi Jeff,

          Thanks for the unthusiastic response! I guess I forgot that many people on
          this group would not know what they look like, but might be able to help
          out. There are several good images of the green martians at various
          websites:

          http://www.erblist.com/erbmania/anatomy/gmanatomy.html
          http://www.erblist.com/abg/greenmen.html

          There are Frazetta pictures of them, too, but I can't find any online. The
          basic idea is a vaguely humanoid creature 15 feet tall, with an extra set of
          arms somewhere on the ribcage so that it can grasp a really long lance in
          two arms on the same side. The head is bald, and the two eyes are large and
          situated more on the side of the head than in front. Two curved tusks jut up
          from the mouth, and the nostrils are on the forehead, more or less.

          The skin is green, though I'd think it's more olive green than lime or
          emerald.

          Guy

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
            And don't forget to check out my Green Martians in my Barsoom gallery. Mine
            are a little less humanoid though...- Jeff

          • barnard_3d
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
              --- In barsoom@y..., "Guy Hoyle" <ghoyle1@a...> wrote:
              > Does anybody know where I can get a 3d model of a Green Martian
              figure for
              > Poser, 3D Studio, or Bryce? I'm just beginning to learn how to use
              Poser, so
              > I'm not yet capable of creating one myself, but I can import from
              one of
              > these formats into Poser. Any advice on how to create one would be
              much
              > appreciated as well.
              >
              > Guy

              I have been in the process of modeling one in 3D Studio Max for the
              last couple of months now (Tars Tarkas to be specific). When I have
              it at a level of completion that I am happy with, I will share images
              of it with the group.

              Poser is a pretty cool program, and is amazingly powerful for its
              affordable price. It also has some useful tools for modifying its
              figures. The manual that comes with Poser introduces these tools and
              should give you a start to creating a Martian. There are also some
              decent websites and newsgroups that discuss Poser use in general.

              By the way, if you decide to explore making your own martian,
              designing the torso will be by far the most difficult part. I have
              been trying a number of different configurations to make it a
              rational musculature, while at the same time looking aesthetically
              pleasing (basically, not weird).

              Good luck!

              -Charles