Re: [barsoom] Barsoom: the angry red planet

  • mehaffey
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 6:16 AM
      Talk about coincidence. Your mention of the 50's movie "The Angry Red Planet" was too much for coincidence. As a collector of 50's science fiction movies I once taped that movie when it was broadcast on AMC, and on a whim I watched it a couple of days ago. I have to say that it was one of the worst Martian movies ever made. Truly forgettable characters, really bad special effects (even by 50's B-movie standards). And that mouse-bat-spider!

      It has always annoyed me when movies about Mars don't take into account the most elementary facts known to just about everyone. ERB's Barsoom is a fantasy world, and an excellent one; one thing that makes it good is that he based it on the state of the science available to him in the early part of last century. Maybe it was wrong (canals, breathable atmosphere, etc.), but at least with some basis in science it is an internally consistent world. Would that other writers and authors would take as much trouble.

      Leathem