Frazetta Original Barsoom Drawings for Sale

  • archangelofmars
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2006
      All Star Auctions has several original Frazetta works for sale,
      including illustrations from FMOM and SOM. So if you have an extra
      house you can unload for some cash you could pick these up. Sigh...

      http://www.allstarauctions.net/
    • leathem mehaffey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2006
        I'm sorry, but exactly WHY are these drawings valued at $45,000 and
        $55,000? I've seen as good work by members of this group. Or maybe I
        just don't understand art (sigh).

        Leathem

        archangelofmars wrote:

        > All Star Auctions has several original Frazetta works for sale,
        > including illustrations from FMOM and SOM. So if you have an extra
        > house you can unload for some cash you could pick these up. Sigh...
        >
        > http://www.allstarauctions.net/ <http://www.allstarauctions.net/>

      • archangelofmars
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2006
          Well, Raphael Kayanan's pen work is up at that calibre, but his
          name isn't Frank Frazetta. In addition to the quality of the art,
          Frazetta's work has an important place in history - what the auction
          houses would call 'provenance'. Millions of people have seen these
          images and been influenced by them. The works have inspired thousands
          of artists and writers and other creators. They played a pivotal role
          in the ERB renaissance in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. He
          influenced me, and probably all the other artists in this group. You
          can love him or hate him, but you can't ignore him. Some few people
          are ready, willing and able to pay those high prices for the work
          (thank goodness it won't be part of the 'Saddam Hussein collection'
          next to a Rowena painting). After Frank passes the works will
          increase in value significantly.
          After all, some people would pay good money for a piece of toilet
          paper from the Titanic. Not exactly a success story.

          -archangel

          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, leathem mehaffey <leathem12603@...> wrote:

          > I'm sorry, but exactly WHY are these drawings valued at $45,000 and
          > $55,000? I've seen as good work by members of this group. Or maybe I
          > just don't understand art (sigh).
          >
          > Leathem
        • Saroda Mara
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
            Right. It's like Elvis Presley's autograph would be worth a lot more
            than mine, even if his handwriting isn't any better. Actually,
            considering how rotten my handwriting is, Elvis' probably IS better.
            And if certain rumours are true, it's STILL better than mine! ^_~
          • rkayanan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
              Without seeing that May issue with Frazetta of American Artist magazine back
              in 1976 of my youth, I don't think I would ever have ventured into similar
              genres that Frazetta did.

              Frazetta paved the road that we've built castles on.

              --Rafael Kayanan--
            • archangelofmars
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
                BTW Rafael I'm really enjoying your art blog . That doc. video was
                interesting as well.

                -Shawn