re. Why a John Carter Movie is a Good Idea

  • gdock617512000
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2006
      I'm new here so excuse my butting in:
      I have read a number of ERB novels, most of them many years back, but
      I recently bought "Under the Moons of Mars" a collection
      of "Princess", "Gods" and "Warlord of Mars". I think I read "A
      Princess of Mars" years ago. I just started "Warlord of Mars".
      I was surprised to find that I still totally enjoyed ERBs writing. I
      would like to see a movie version but like you all, I hope it would
      be palatable.
      I have two sons, both of whom are now adults. We all enjoy comics and
      books and movies of the fantastic. When they see things
      like "Superfriends" or "Batman", the tv series, they laugh at how
      corny it is. I just say, "Hey, that's the best we could get back
      then." Even the Doug McClure movies were like that.
      Now days we don't have to settle. "LOTR", "King Kong", "Batman
      Begins" and others show these fantasies can be done right and make
      money. So, let's hope the right script and the right director and the
      right producer get together and do it justice. I'd rather never see
      the movie than have it butchered.
      One comment on the video game topic; "Grand Theft Auto" is open ended
      but it is just one city. It's huge but it's not a planet. Maybe one
      of those Massive Multiplayer Online game could do it.
      Thanks for listening.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2006
        You are entirely welcome to butt in.

        True, its not a planet. Maybe it could be a series -
        Grand Theft Helium, Grand Theft Thark, Grand Theft
        Zodanga, Grand Theft Dor... you get the idea.

        --- gdock617512000 <gdock617512000@...> wrote:
        >One comment on the video game topic; "Grand Theft
        Auto" is open ended
        but it is just one city. It's huge but it's not a
        planet. Maybe one
        of those Massive Multiplayer Online game could do it.
        Thanks for listening.

        Writing book
        Writing a book
        Writing child book
        Book writing software
        Science fiction and
        fantasy Writing a
        book report

        Terms of Service.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Shawn Dueck
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2006
          I think gdock is referring to games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars. While I avoid pc games (I don't want my time sucked away) I would be sorely tempted by a Barsoom "world" game.

          -Shawn

          P.S. Welcome, gdock!

          Den Valdron <dgvaldron@...> wrote:
          You are entirely welcome to butt in.

          True, its not a planet. Maybe it could be a series -
          Grand Theft Helium, Grand Theft Thark, Grand Theft
          Zodanga, Grand Theft Dor... you get the idea.

          --- gdock617512000 <gdock617512000@...> wrote:
          >One comment on the video game topic; "Grand Theft
          Auto" is open ended
          but it is just one city. It's huge but it's not a
          planet. Maybe one
          of those Massive Multiplayer Online game could do it.
          Thanks for listening.

          Writing book
          Writing a book
          Writing child book
          Book writing software
          Science fiction and
          fantasy Writing a
          book report

          Terms of Service.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Writing book Writing a book Writing child book Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a book report

        • Saroda Mara
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2006
            How about a Barsoom-themed "Civilization" or "Age of Empire" game?
            You could start with the Drying of the Seas and finish (if you can
            keep the planet alive that long) with "Suddenly, a new factor enters
            the world-old story of Barsoom. He is from a planet he calls 'Earth,'
            and his name is John Carter." The there could be a screen pimping the
            books.