Re: [barsoom] Re: Why a John Carter Movie is a Good idea.

    Message 1 of 35 , May 3, 2006
      Hmmm I've seen Wings Honneamise and Nausica, Valleyof
      the Wind. I dunno, seems too thoughtful and stately.
      Nice imagery, but I just dunno....

      Now, if you were going to go with a Japanese director
      for John Carter, perhaps.... Takashi Miike. Go watch
      Ichi the Killer and tell me I'm wrong.

      The point is, I want a movie that kicks ass. I want a
      movie that people will walk into and go 'holy crap, I
      never even imagined anything like this.' and also go
      'holy crap, I identify completely with JC.'

      --- Saroda Mara <xenophile2002@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Foreign directers, huh? OK. How about Hideaki Anno?
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0030417/
      And before anybody asks, yes, he has directed
      live-action movies.

      I have no idea if he has ever read the books (they are
      available in
      Japan, in Japanese). If he has, then I think maybe
      he's our man.
      Then again, maybe he could *become* a fan, if he just
      hasn't had the
      chance yet.

      All other things being equal, I'd rather have a
      director who is a
      raving fan than one who is not. Then again, *I* am a
      raving fan, and
      trust me, you don't want me directing this film.

      Writing book
      Writing a book
      Writing child book
      Book writing software
      Science fiction and
      fantasy Writing a
      book report

      Terms of Service.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • jeffdnt@mac.com
      Message 35 of 35 , May 4, 2006
        Yea, my concern is that he makes movies in 3 weeks.... - Jeff

        On May 4, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Seth K. Deitch wrote:

        > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Den Valdron <dgvaldron@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Y'know, talking about Del Toro crystalized something
        > > for me. It occurs to me that my lukewarm feelings
        > > towards Favreau is because he's basically part of the
        > > Hollywood system.
        > >
        > > Most of the directors that I really like or think
        > > might handle this tend to be foreign - Rodriguez and
        > > Del Toro from Mexico,
        >
        > Wait a minute. Are we talking about Robert Rodriguez here? The guy who
        > directed Dusk til Dawn? He's from Texas. I'll grant you that there
        > have been days I *wished* it was another country.....

        > Writing book Writing a book Writing child book
        > Book writing software Science fiction and fantasy Writing a
        > book report
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "barsoom" on the web.

        Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
        http://www.jeffdoten.com