Re: New Artist for Barsoom

  • keithbvaughn
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2002
      I'm glad you enjoy the pics Floyd. When David initially told me about
      the site he metioned he'd try to get a new one up every month
      (although he is extremely busy lately) and I hope he can meet that.
      What is up there is roughly a sixth of what he's produced.

      In a while, I'm going to extend my article: "Evolution on Barsoom" to
      the remaining land animals and David has asked me to look at that
      when I have completed it. I have some ideas that should show why the
      sea animals of Barsoom became dominate. The current version of EOB is
      in the files section for Word 2000; enjoy if you haven't read it.

      Keith
    • Bruce Bozarth
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2002
        keithbvaughn wrote:

        > I'm glad you enjoy the pics Floyd. When David initially told me about
        > the site he metioned he'd try to get a new one up every month

        Burton has forwarded nearly a dozen new images. Look for image releases,
        and the author's comments regarding each, in the months coming.

        http://erblist.com/erbmania/burton/

        --

        TANGOR

        Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
        The Official ERB FAQ is at
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
      • Jeff Doten
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2002
          > A minor interview from Film Force with Charles Pogue who wrote and
          > excellant Princess of Mars script for disney years ago - Jeff

          10 Questions: Charles Edward Pogue
          Ten answers from the co-writer of The Fly, Dragonheart, and the
          unproduced Princess of Mars.
          May 15, 2002 - Having co-written the Eighties classic The Fly, and
          penning the marvelous Sherlock Holmes telefilm The Hound of the
          Baskervilles (1983), Charles Edward Pogue has seen some of his projects
          turn out just the way he intended, but he also knows that Hollywood can
          let you down.� He's written two screenplays that were lamentably watered
          down during the filmmaking process (Dragonheart, Kull the Conqueror),
          and an excellent (by all accounts) adaptation of The Princess of Mars
          that has never been produced.

          Chuck shares insights from his industry experience in reply to our
          (patent pending) 10 questions...

          1. What is your favorite piece of music?

          Miklos Rozsa's theme to the movie Providence, it's based on a symphonic
          piece of his, "Valse Crepscalaire." Coming in close second, maybe tied
          for first, would be Rozsa's "Violin Concerto" that was used as the main
          theme in Billy Wilder's Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Rozsa is my
          favorite composer and his compositions are ones to which I write
          constantly.

          2. What is your favorite film?

          The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) starring Errol Flynn.

          3. What is your favorite TV program, past or current?

          I, Claudius.

          4. What do you feel has been your most important professional
          accomplishment to date?

          Most important, hmmm? I think my most satisfying was also my first one,
          my Hound of the Baskervilles. It came out very close to what I
          envisioned, had wonderful actors, and got critical accolades and is
          considered by many Holmes scholars and enthusiasts to be the best
          version to date.

          5. Which project do you feel didn't live up to what you envisioned?

          Both Dragonheart and Kull the Conqueror fell far short of where I had
          originally intended them to go. Two lauded scripts that were diminished
          in the long process that it took to get them to the screen. Dragonheart
          is a disappointment. Kull is a disaster. Both lost their poetry,
          panache, and power.

          6. What is your favorite book?

          Tough question when you have around six thousand of them. Most late
          nineteenth century to mid-twentieth century fantasy, adventure, mystery,
          historical. I would have to say She by Rider Haggard is my all-time
          favorite though. I probably have around thirty variant editions of it,
          including two firsts.

          7. If you could change one thing about the industry, what would it be?

          That writers would have the same power that they do in the theatre.
          You'd get better movies.

          8. Who � or what � would you say has had the biggest influence on your
          career?

          The literature I read growing up and the movies from the Thirties and
          Forties I watched on TV, growing up. Also the theatre training I had as
          an actor. It's important for a writer to understand performance, putting
          drama on its feet.

          9. What is your next project?

          I have several. I'm currently writing a novel, a play, and a screenplay.
          But I don't talk about them until they happen.

          10. What is the one project that you've always wanted to do, but have
          yet to be able to?

          I'd love to see my Princess of Mars get made.

          Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
          http://www.jeffdoten.com