Re: [barsoom] Dejah

  • Ghak
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2006
      At 02:46 PM 4/12/2006 +0000, friendlypuffin wrote:
      >Just wondering, what is the correct form of address for Mrs John Carter?

      If you value your life, don't call her "My Princess"!

      Ghak
    • Jim Clunie
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2006
        On 4/13/06, friendlypuffin <friendlypuffin@...> wrote:
        > Just wondering, what is the correct form of address for Mrs John Carter?

        "Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium". Barsoomians don't change the name
        of a married woman, nor does she lose or pass on her title to her
        husband. See the second chapter of "Chessmen" where Dejah Thoris is
        formally announced at a diplomatic function and Thuvia of Ptarth is
        mentioned together with her husband, Carthoris.

        Jim C
      • Jim Clunie
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2006
          On 4/13/06, Jim Clunie <jim.clunie@...> wrote:
          > On 4/13/06, friendlypuffin <friendlypuffin@...> wrote:
          > > Just wondering, what is the correct form of address for Mrs John Carter?
          > >

          > "Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium". Barsoomians don't change the name
          > of a married woman, nor does she lose or pass on her title to her
          > husband.

          Actually, change the latter: John Carter may have the title of Prince
          of Helium because he's married to Dejah Thoris, though other
          references suggest he was adopted into the house of Tardos Mors
          (perhaps because it would be improper for a common swordsman to marry
          a Jeddak's daughter).

          Jim C
        • friendlypuffin
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12, 2006
            --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Ghak <svwadding@...> wrote:

            > At 02:46 PM 4/12/2006 +0000, friendlypuffin wrote:
            > >Just wondering, what is the correct form of address for Mrs John
            Carter?

            > If you value your life, don't call her "My Princess"!
            >
            > Ghak

            I think I'll have to stick to "my Lady" because the other option is
            just too long.