Far Future Earth/Victorian Mars simularities

  • keithbvaughn
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 9:11 AM
      To the Group,

      For a game I have been writing off and on for years (One Million AD--
      Tales of the Forgotten Earth) I have been reading stories of a far
      future earth. What has struck me as very curious is the resemblences
      between the visions of a decadent earth and victorian mars eg barsoom
      at times.

      Drying seas or dead seas, ruins of cities, leftover technology of
      superscience and the deadliness of awakening it. Societies stuck at
      medieval or barbarian levels often with some advanced anachronistic
      societies left over. Swords all over the place. It seems to almost be
      a hash or a disguise of planetary romances.

      Has anyone else noticed this?

      Keith
    • Hugh K. Singh
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 10:29 AM
        Many years ago Kieth. Travel by mtd. animal or magic device, instead of
        flying boat. Although there was a trigoly of games called "On the Green
        Planet" that wes a flying boat combat game.
        Hugh

        keithbvaughn wrote:

        >To the Group,
        >
        >For a game I have been writing off and on for years (One Million AD--
        >Tales of the Forgotten Earth) I have been reading stories of a far
        >future earth. What has struck me as very curious is the resemblences
        >between the visions of a decadent earth and victorian mars eg barsoom
        >at times.
        >
        >Drying seas or dead seas, ruins of cities, leftover technology of
        >superscience and the deadliness of awakening it. Societies stuck at
        >medieval or barbarian levels often with some advanced anachronistic
        >societies left over. Swords all over the place. It seems to almost be
        >a hash or a disguise of planetary romances.
        >
        >Has anyone else noticed this?
        >
        >Keith
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jim Clunie
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2 1:07 AM
          I don't know if I've read the same future Earth tales as you (W. H.
          Hodgson, Wells, Lovecraft, Vance, Moorcock, Philip Jose Farmer - not
          Riverworld but a one-off novel with some interesting PA/Vance flavour,
          I forget the title). There's some resemblance, but I wouldn't say more
          than the conventions of the genre.

          Jim C

          On 4/2/06, keithbvaughn <keithbvaughn@...> wrote:
          > To the Group,
          >
          > For a game I have been writing off and on for years (One Million AD--
          > Tales of the Forgotten Earth) I have been reading stories of a far
          > future earth. What has struck me as very curious is the resemblences
          > between the visions of a decadent earth and victorian mars eg barsoom
          > at times.
          >
          > Drying seas or dead seas, ruins of cities, leftover technology of
          > superscience and the deadliness of awakening it. Societies stuck at
          > medieval or barbarian levels often with some advanced anachronistic
          > societies left over. Swords all over the place. It seems to almost be
          > a hash or a disguise of planetary romances.
          >
          > Has anyone else noticed this?
          >
          > Keith

        • friendlypuffin
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2 5:43 AM
            --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "keithbvaughn" <keithbvaughn@...>
            wrote:

            > To the Group,
            >
            > For a game I have been writing off and on for years (One Million AD-
            -
            > Tales of the Forgotten Earth) I have been reading stories of a far
            > future earth. What has struck me as very curious is the
            resemblences
            > between the visions of a decadent earth and victorian mars eg
            barsoom
            > at times.
            >
            > Drying seas or dead seas, ruins of cities, leftover technology of
            > superscience and the deadliness of awakening it. Societies stuck at
            > medieval or barbarian levels often with some advanced anachronistic
            > societies left over. Swords all over the place. It seems to almost
            be
            > a hash or a disguise of planetary romances.
            >
            > Has anyone else noticed this?
            >
            > Keith

            Yes, now yo mention it this does seem very similar. There are some
            distinct similarities with the decadent, primitive-yet-advanced
            nature of HG Well's future in the Time Machine. And also, if global
            warming takes the effect some think it will, perhaps it will happen
            sooner than we think.
          • Rick Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2 8:11 AM
              Re: Global Warming...
              Ecologists who are far more knowledgable than I have stated "By the time we discover the problem, it's too late to doanything about it."
              Thus, we spent the last few centuries screwing the environment up and it will take more centurines than that to fix it. In the meantime, we will have to suffer the results of our past.

              It's like this. You so something stupid like smoke. THEN by the time you discover you have cancer, it's too late to do anything about it other than really drastic action with a knife and radiation and chemo. So you take that drastic action and suffer unmeasurably for years until it's fixed, if it can be fixed.

              But what if you refuse to either a) quit smoking and b) take that drastic action?
              Then you continue to suffer until you die.

              The earth is at that position.
              We have given the Earth Cancer and although we have cut-back on smoking, we refuse to stop and we refuse to undergo the drastic medical intervention that is necessary so the Earth will continue to suffer and die until we and our children are forced to life with the results.

              That is what the apocolyptic future stories are about, the families of a cancer victim living with the economic and emotional and physical results of their loved ones stupidity and refusal to change.

              It's too late.
              Global Warming and water pollution and land pollution and chemical pollution has started and cannot be stopped. It must run it's course and we and our children will suffer for our greed and laziness.
              The very best we can hope is that our chidren, those who survive, take the drastic measures that we refuse to take so that their grandchildren might have aworld worth living in.

              It's kinda like never washing your dishes and tossing your trash in the yard and leaving it there. Then one day you discover rats and roaches have taken over and you and your kids are suffering choloria and other diseases from that trash.
              BUT, you are too lazy to clean the yard so you deside to toss some of your trash into the neighbors yard and brag about your eforts to save your home.
              Then your kids, after you are dead and as they are dieing, cleanthe yard.
              They are still going t odie and are still living with rats and roaches and disease but they have hope that maybe, if they really work at this, their children won't be sick.
              Ok, the truth is that the children will refuse to cleanthe yard too. They'll just figure out how to live with the rats.

              And that makes the 'end of the world' novels so attractive and terrifying to us.

              Mad Max is on the way and we cannot stop him.

              Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
              http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
              http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
              http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

              Please note: message attached

            • Saroda Mara
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2 4:41 PM
                --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

                > Re: Global Warming...
                > Ecologists who are far more knowledgable than I have stated "By the
                > time we discover the problem, it's too late to doanything about it."

                An advanced enough technology (mature nanotech?) presumably WOULD be
                able to to something about it, but will we "quit smoking" and live
                long enough to see it?
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2 11:29 PM
                  In a message dated 2/4/06 18:41:36, xenophile2002@... writes:

                  > An advanced enough technology (mature nanotech?) presumably WOULD be able
                  > to to something about it, but will we "quit smoking" and live long enough to
                  > see it?

                  More importantly, would it make any difference? One major volcanic eruption
                  puts more crud into the atmosphere in two weeks than the human race has since
                  the beginning of the industrial revolution.

                  Earth's climate has been alternately warming and cooling for over 4 billion
                  years. We're coming out of an ice age -- OF COURSE the climate is getting
                  warmer. The idea that we can have any effect on it strikes me as the height of
                  arrogance.

                • universal1222
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3 2:57 AM
                    > More importantly, would it make any difference? One major volcanic
                    eruption puts more crud into the atmosphere in two weeks than the
                    human race has since the beginning of the industrial revolution.
                    > Earth's climate has been alternately warming and cooling for over 4
                    billion years. We're coming out of an ice age -- OF COURSE the climate
                    is getting warmer. The idea that we can have any effect on it strikes
                    me as the height of arrogance.
                    AQPorter

                    True, Natural disasters and the climate change may not (yet) be under
                    our control, but I think the point being stressed here is; that
                    mankind does not need to add fuel to the fire. Our Earth is a
                    habitable world, that can support life. Let's try to keep it that way.

                    RV
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3 5:27 AM
                      > The idea that we can have any effect on it strikes
                      me as the height of arrogance.
                      AQPorter

                      Well, we can attribute massive deforestation,
                      desertification, and species loss to human action, and
                      that is bad enough.

                      There seems to be a global scientific consensus that
                      human actions are spurring global warming. This
                      consensus is not seriously disputed anywhere except
                      the American government and American oil industry,
                      hardly the most reputable agencies these days.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Saroda Mara
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3 1:01 PM
                        --- In barsoom, Den Valdron wrote:

                        > There seems to be a global scientific consensus that human actions are
                        > spurring global warming.

                        Yes. There needs to be a better reason to declare that all the
                        experts are wrong than "height of arrogance." There are after all
                        several billion of us.

                        > This consensus is not seriously disputed anywhere except the American
                        > government and American oil industry,

                        There's a difference?

                        > hardly the most reputable agencies these days.

                        Like I said.