Re: MORE ON - John Carter of Mars film

  • xenophile2002
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 16, 2002
      Thanks for the info, Jeff! It looks like it's for real this time,
      and about time! BTW, any chance that they'll use your poster? Don't
      mean to gush or anything, but I *really like* that poster! Tell you
      what: I'm going to look it over again, really give it the "critical
      eye" treatment. TRY to find something wrong with it. I'll come back
      and let you know if I find anything.

      Back to the film; I have no idea if The Rock would've made a good JC
      or not, as I know little about him (The Rock, that is; I know a thing
      or three about Carter!). But now I guess it doesn't matter, as TR is
      not on the list. As for Hugh Jackman... You know, casting him might
      be the only thing that would get my GF into the theatre. I haven't
      seen her eyes sparkle over a celebrity this way since Paul McCartney
      (who is a bit old and British for the role ;) ).

      I like the refs to LOTR. *That* is a movie that cleaves close to the
      bosom of its source (well, Tom Bombadil was left out, but maybe
      _Princess_ is short enough that things like that won't be necessary).

      Well, there are two tickets they can be sure of selling: I've
      promised my eldest nephew since he was five that I'd take him to see
      a John Carter movie... **IF** anybody ever made one!! He's twelve
      years old now.

      Xenophile (forever hopeful)
    • Floyd Brigdon
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17, 2002
        Ummmm... do you mind sending out a link to that poster? Somehow I must have missed that and one can NEVER have too much Barsoom art to look at, right?

        Floyd
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Floyd Brigdon
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17, 2002
          Actually.... please belay that request. BEing the impatient person that I am, I went to the archives and found the link myself. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth....

          Floyd

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17, 2002
            Wow ! I live for this stuff guys ! You've really made my day - I can't
            really seem my poster being used as a film company usually features the
            actors faces in close up. Floyd had mentioned that he liked my version
            B the most, and it was the one that I originally intended to do, but I
            also wanted to show at least one face close up, hence the finished
            version. And I LOVED painting Dejah Thoris... I mentioned to Floyd I'll
            be looking into to doing a real printed poster in the new future, so
            I'll keep you informed about that.

            All this about an actual Princess movie is great. I've been eager for
            one all my life and have heard multilple announcements before now. Now
            seems more plausible. I would love to seem some of William Stout's
            concept work for an earlier incarnation that he worked on for Disney.
            That one almost happened. I like what you said Xeno, being the 'forever
            hopeful' - Jeff Doten

            On Wednesday, April 17, 2002, at 06:35 AM, Floyd Brigdon wrote:

            > Ummmm... do you mind sending out a link to that poster? Somehow I
            > must have missed that and one can NEVER have too much Barsoom art to
            > look at, right?
            >
            > Floyd

            Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
            http://www.jeffdoten.com
          • xenophile2002
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2002
              And the link is right down there at the bottom of this post.

              > Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
              > http://www.jeffdoten.com

              He has some other Barsoomian stuff, too.

              Xenophile (off to give Jeff's poster the hairy eyeball)
            • Jeff Doten
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 17, 2002
                I've uploaded the missing images, one of Dejah Thoris and one of JC and
                Tars Tarkus. I've been meening to do that for a long time. Things got a
                little trashed when my web host ate my site earlier this year. I guess
                that's what I'm paying them for isn't it ? - Jeff

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22, 2002
                  I remember that when I first saw this, my thoughts were a mixture
                  of "cool," "this would work," "like the green guy," and "too much
                  red." Looking at it again, well, there's just as much red as there
                  ever was, but for some reason it seems right. I could think of some
                  costume changes, but that's because I read that article. So did
                  Jeff, of course. ^_^

                  The green fellow, in particular, is cool. I still wonder how (and
                  if) this design works as a quadruped, but a movie poster is not the
                  place to explore this. A fight is the thing to do, and that is what
                  Jeff does. Perhaps one of the blades Greenie carries could be
                  replaced with a hatchet, just for added "savagery." JC looks to have
                  a real fight on his hands! He also looks tough enough to handle it.

                  I have to say, it's nice to have the title character sort of looming
                  over it all. The two moons in the sky and the ruined city in the
                  background make it clear that "we're not in Virginia anymore."

                  I think of the airships as... well, different than this, but I'm
                  really not clear on how I think they *should* look, so this will do
                  nicely. As if Paramount is going to ask my opinion in any case.

                  I like the caption at the top, and the authentic-looking stuff at the
                  bottom makes it look like a real movie poster.

                  Over all, I have to say that I *still* like it. Not sure I like the
                  crystals coming out of the ground, and is there a lot of red in this?

                  Xenophile (who was bothered by all the red at first & isn't now... I
                  guess it grows on a fellow)
                • Jeff Doten
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2002
                    This is cool, a review of my work. That's different from sometimes
                    random comments of clients...
                    I did this piece around the time of the Costuming article with Fredrich,
                    just before I think. The article didn't really make me want to change
                    what I'd done a I was conscious that my highest influence beyond ERB's
                    words were Alan St John's costumes and that wasn't going to go away. If
                    I do one for the Gods of Mars, some of that Costuming article could well
                    show through though.

                    As aware of, and as much as I approve of the four legged gait, I kept
                    coming up with such a long torso I just couldn't make it work. Design
                    wise I ended up a grass hopper. The long torso begged long legs
                    creating this very tall thin humanoid bug. And, I never liked the torso
                    stacked on another torso thing, so I added a semi hip-sized intermediary
                    joint. The middle arms are attached to what really is a solid piece that
                    hinges from from the hips. Above that is the actual spinal cord.

                    Most off the design came out of over a years worth of sketches that took
                    the concepts beyond the first thing that popped into my head. If I did
                    that, it would all look just like what ever I've seen before. With that
                    said, I did look at movie poster design and layout to see how I could
                    incorporate all the concepts/images that I wanted in one piece. It's no
                    surprise to me that it looks kind of like a Star Wars poster as that is
                    the kind of poster I'm attracted to. I like lots of characters, action,
                    faces. ships....

                    You didn't know about the crystals ? I've been including the quartz
                    outcroppings since I was a teen. They've mention in "Princess" more than
                    once, and I've seen their like in the Achilles Ballentine covers. The
                    red comes from it being well, MARS. I personally like rusty colors so I
                    went for it. I've always imagined Barsoom as pretty rusty in color.

                    How do you imagine Barsoom ? Some go for a blue sky, or a dark sky
                    tinted blue at the horizon. I've never really been able to absorb the
                    'orche' color of the moss I'll admit, Although a lot of orange and
                    yellow went into the moss on the painting.Over all though, I'm pretty
                    open to different interpritations on it, making a movie somewhat easy to
                    sell to me.

                    This has been great. Many thanks for taking the time to give a real
                    close look at poster. As you know, doing it was a real labor of love.
                    I'll be sorting things out wth the print version in the next few weeks.
                    Kaor ! - Jeff

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 24, 2002
                      In a message dated 24/04/2002 19:20:27, dotenj@... writes:

                      << As aware of, and as much as I approve of the four legged gait, I kept
                      coming up with such a long torso I just couldn't make it work. Design
                      wise I ended up a grass hopper. The long torso begged long legs
                      creating this very tall thin humanoid bug. And, I never liked the torso
                      stacked on another torso thing, so I added a semi hip-sized intermediary
                      joint. The middle arms are attached to what really is a solid piece that
                      hinges from from the hips. Above that is the actual spinal cord. >>

                      Jeff --

                      The late Gil Kane did a believable-looking green Martian in the quadruped
                      position for Marvel some years ago. I used it in an article for the APA on
                      "The Skeletomuscular structur of the Green Martians" -- let me know your
                      snail-mail address and I'll send you a copy. (I think I've sent Tangor a
                      copy for the "Dime Lecture" section of his website but don't believe he's
                      posted it yet.)

                      << How do you imagine Barsoom ? Some go for a blue sky, or a dark sky
                      tinted blue at the horizon. I've never really been able to absorb the
                      'orche' color of the moss I'll admit, Although a lot of orange and
                      yellow went into the moss on the painting.Over all though, I'm pretty
                      open to different interpritations on it, making a movie somewhat easy to
                      sell to me. >>

                      I've always pictured the Martian sky as pinkish-red due to suspended dust
                      particles, but realize now that this would only be true near the horizon --
                      toward the zenith it would be blue, but a deeper blue than ours.

                      Of course, as a kid I always envisioned the Martian canals as looking like
                      the C&O Canal here in D. C., but that was because this was the only canal I
                      was familiar with. I think Burroughs was much closer to the mark in
                      describing canals that were just ribbons of vegetation with little or no open
                      water -- a concept he probably derived from Lowell.

                      One of these days I'll do an APA contribution on the canals -- what happened
                      to them?