Re: [barsoom] New Artist for Barsoom

  • Floyd Brigdon
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17 3:05 AM
      Keith,

      Thanks a LOT for passing this link to the group. I _love_ Burton's art. Sure, his vision of Mars is a little different from what any of us have seen before, but I think that it is all the better (and fresher) because of that difference. I hope to see more from this fellow in the future.
      On a related note, letting go of preconceived notions of what Mars OUGHT to look like is something that we had all better start getting a lot of practice at. If (no, WHEN) the Mars movie gets made, it is certain that it won't agree 100% with anything that we have in our heads right now, so being open-minded about it would be a very good thing. (And if we a re lucky we will get to see a product like Mr. Burton's on the screen; it is obvious to me that he loves ERB's Mars every bit as much as I do.)
      Anyway, sorry for the soapboxing.... LOL And thanks again for passing along the link. (Are there OTHER "visions of Mars" anywhere on the net?)

      Floyd Brigdon
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2002
        I'm glad you enjoy the pics Floyd. When David initially told me about
        the site he metioned he'd try to get a new one up every month
        (although he is extremely busy lately) and I hope he can meet that.
        What is up there is roughly a sixth of what he's produced.

        In a while, I'm going to extend my article: "Evolution on Barsoom" to
        the remaining land animals and David has asked me to look at that
        when I have completed it. I have some ideas that should show why the
        sea animals of Barsoom became dominate. The current version of EOB is
        in the files section for Word 2000; enjoy if you haven't read it.

        Keith
      • Bruce Bozarth
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2002
          keithbvaughn wrote:

          > I'm glad you enjoy the pics Floyd. When David initially told me about
          > the site he metioned he'd try to get a new one up every month

          Burton has forwarded nearly a dozen new images. Look for image releases,
          and the author's comments regarding each, in the months coming.

          http://erblist.com/erbmania/burton/

          --

          TANGOR

          Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
          The Official ERB FAQ is at
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
        • Jeff Doten
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2002
            > A minor interview from Film Force with Charles Pogue who wrote and
            > excellant Princess of Mars script for disney years ago - Jeff

            10 Questions: Charles Edward Pogue
            Ten answers from the co-writer of The Fly, Dragonheart, and the
            unproduced Princess of Mars.
            May 15, 2002 - Having co-written the Eighties classic The Fly, and
            penning the marvelous Sherlock Holmes telefilm The Hound of the
            Baskervilles (1983), Charles Edward Pogue has seen some of his projects
            turn out just the way he intended, but he also knows that Hollywood can
            let you down.� He's written two screenplays that were lamentably watered
            down during the filmmaking process (Dragonheart, Kull the Conqueror),
            and an excellent (by all accounts) adaptation of The Princess of Mars
            that has never been produced.

            Chuck shares insights from his industry experience in reply to our
            (patent pending) 10 questions...

            1. What is your favorite piece of music?

            Miklos Rozsa's theme to the movie Providence, it's based on a symphonic
            piece of his, "Valse Crepscalaire." Coming in close second, maybe tied
            for first, would be Rozsa's "Violin Concerto" that was used as the main
            theme in Billy Wilder's Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Rozsa is my
            favorite composer and his compositions are ones to which I write
            constantly.

            2. What is your favorite film?

            The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) starring Errol Flynn.

            3. What is your favorite TV program, past or current?

            I, Claudius.

            4. What do you feel has been your most important professional
            accomplishment to date?

            Most important, hmmm? I think my most satisfying was also my first one,
            my Hound of the Baskervilles. It came out very close to what I
            envisioned, had wonderful actors, and got critical accolades and is
            considered by many Holmes scholars and enthusiasts to be the best
            version to date.

            5. Which project do you feel didn't live up to what you envisioned?

            Both Dragonheart and Kull the Conqueror fell far short of where I had
            originally intended them to go. Two lauded scripts that were diminished
            in the long process that it took to get them to the screen. Dragonheart
            is a disappointment. Kull is a disaster. Both lost their poetry,
            panache, and power.

            6. What is your favorite book?

            Tough question when you have around six thousand of them. Most late
            nineteenth century to mid-twentieth century fantasy, adventure, mystery,
            historical. I would have to say She by Rider Haggard is my all-time
            favorite though. I probably have around thirty variant editions of it,
            including two firsts.

            7. If you could change one thing about the industry, what would it be?

            That writers would have the same power that they do in the theatre.
            You'd get better movies.

            8. Who � or what � would you say has had the biggest influence on your
            career?

            The literature I read growing up and the movies from the Thirties and
            Forties I watched on TV, growing up. Also the theatre training I had as
            an actor. It's important for a writer to understand performance, putting
            drama on its feet.

            9. What is your next project?

            I have several. I'm currently writing a novel, a play, and a screenplay.
            But I don't talk about them until they happen.

            10. What is the one project that you've always wanted to do, but have
            yet to be able to?

            I'd love to see my Princess of Mars get made.

            Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
            http://www.jeffdoten.com