Re: peace

  • friendlypuffin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
      --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Jim Clunie <jim.clunie@g...> wrote:

      > I don't think that having 31 jeddaks acclaim John Carter as Warlord is
      > any indication that 30 nations have an eternal peace and alliance with
      > Helium, seeing that by the end of "Thuvia" three of the nations listed
      > here (Ptarth, Dusar and Kaol) were in a shooting war with Helium, and
      > in "Chessmen" Carter compained, only half in jest, that Gahan's desire
      > for Tara would probably mean another war.
      >
      > Jim C

      Mmm, interesting point, this seems to suggest that the current position
      of having JC as Warlord is more like a glorified ceasefire than a true
      peace eg like that after WWI.

      I get the impression that the various nations aren't readily able to
      conquer each other, unless something exceptional happens like a
      princess going missing & the army going to find her (perhaps not a
      great idea, but never mind) - the above suggests that the nations are
      learning to ally themselves in order to make conquest, rather than
      raiding/plundering easier, not because they love each other (who does
      on this world?) but because they've got something to gain by seeing an
      enemy knocked flat. So, after JC, could we envisage temporary power-
      blocs forming, at least only for the duration of a war of conquest? Or
      would the various Nations go back to where they were before JC, lots of
      relatively weak states squabbling with each other & actually getting
      nowhere?
    • Diana L Cole
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
        Since assassination continues to be a threat, I would imagine some
        might find employment as bodyguards.

        Happy New Year to all.

        Diana