Who has visited Barsoom?

  • trynser
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2002
      Is there anyone other than ERB and his son that have actually written
      books or stories based on Barsoom?
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2002
        In a message dated 11/01/2002 05:24:43, kilmore@... writes:

        << Is there anyone other than ERB and his son that have actually written
        books or stories based on Barsoom? >>

        A few that come to mind immediately --

        (1) William Gilmour, LOST ON JUPITER (a sequel to "Skeleton Men of Jupiter")
        (2) Mike Resnick, THE FORGOTTEN SEA OF MARS
        (3) Henry Franke, SNOWMEN OF JUPITER
        (4) "The Bards of Barsoom", THE CAVERNS OF MARS
        (5) ditto, WHEN THE PRINCESS DISAPPEARED
        (6) "Bloodstone, John" (Stuart J. Byrne), TARZAN ON MARS
        (7) Bozarth, David Bruce, DEAD CITIES OF MARS
        (8) ditto, "Pirates of Xanator"
        (9) ditto, "The Sword"
        (10) ditto, "Thuvia's Treasure"
        (11) ditto, "The Tunnels of Gathol"
        (12) ditto, "Voyage to Zodanga"
        (13) Chapman, Flemen A. M., "The Flight of the Vanator"
        (14) ditto, "Ghek the Kaldane vs. Rapas the Ulsio"
        (15) ditto, "The Last Man of Mars"
        (16) ditto, "The Thark's Son"
        (17) ditto, "The Tyrant of Ghasta"
        (18) De Camp, L. Sprague, "Sir Harold of Zodanga"
        (19) Effinger, George Alec, "Mars: The Home Front"
        (20) ditto, "Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson"
        (21) Elliot, Kandis, "Sith Season"
        (22) "Enybudiels, Ann" (Frank J. Brueckel), "Epilogue to Thuvia"
        (23) Fultz, John R., "Duelists of Thark"
        (24) Garrett, Randall, "On the Martian Problem"
        (25) Hirschman, Edward, TARZAN AT MARS' CORE
        (26) Howard, Allan, "The Bowman of Lothar"
        (27) ditto, "Issus Lives"
        (28) ditto, "An Affair of Honor"
        (29) ditto, "Regional Cuisine"
        (30) ditto, "All in the Family"
        (31) Huckenpƶhler, J. G., "Trophy"
        (31) Hunsicker, Rod, "A Step in Blood"
        (32) ditto, "Return to Lothar"
        (33) ditto, "The Secret of Gena Thal"
        (34) ditto, "The People of the Trail"
        (35) Lewis, Alex, MARS IN HER ASHEN GLORY
        (36) Long, Jeff, "The Labors of Lakor"
        (37) ditto, "The Brain of Lakor"
        (38) ditto, A PRINCESS OF JASOOM
        (39) Mantere, Timo, "A Kingdom for the Thoat"
        (40) ditto, "The Long March to Fluke"
        (41) McGee, Jean, "The Passenger"
        (42) Menegazzo, Anthony, "Barsoom Revisited"
        (43) Nottingham, Steve, "Captured on Jupiter"
        (44) ditto, "Return to Mars"
        (45) ditto, "The New Mastermind of Mars"
        (46) ditto, "A Barsoomian Hell"
        (47) Robinson, Dale, "The Ghosts of Aaanthor"
        (48) Rogers, Mark E., "A Fighting Cat of Mars"
        (49) Stubbersfield, Barry E., "The Secret of Mars"
        (50) ditto, "Charade on Mars"
        (51) ditto, "Kra Gan of Mars"
        (52) ditto, "John Carter's Quest"
        (53) ditto, "Nightmare on Mars"
        (54) ditto, "The Glory of Mars"
        (55) ditto, "The Sword of Karramar"
        (56) ditto, "The Search for John Carter"
        (57) ditto, "Brendara of Mars"
        (58) ditto, "Return of the Jasoomian"
        (59) ditto, "Pirates of Mars"
        (60) ditto, "Isandora"
        (61) ditto, "The Red Sword of Mars"
        (62) ditto, "Kardus Kur of Mars"
        (63) ditto, "The Madre of Mars"
        (64) ditto, "Assassins of Mars"

        That's all I have at my fingertips at the moment.

        AQPorter
      • Steve Wadding
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 11, 2002
          At 04:21 AM 1/11/02 +0000, trynser wrote:
          >Is there anyone other than ERB and his son that have actually written
          >books or stories based on Barsoom?

          See my story "Steve Wadding, Computer Engineer of Mars" at:
          <http://users.erols.com/wadding/fanfic/engineer.htm>

          Or did you mean actually published in real books?

          Steve/Ghak
        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 11, 2002
            On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 jhuckenp@... wrote:

            > (48) Rogers, Mark E., "A Fighting Cat of Mars"

            So, Rogers did make a Barsoom parody? I have seen art illustrating it, but
            thought that those were stand-alone pictures not related to a particular
            story. Do you know in what book the story was published?

            (Besides, what is a good source for (cheap) Rogers books? I have been
            looking for some for years, though admittedly I have not tried very hard.)

            /Fredrik
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 11, 2002
              In a message dated 11/01/2002 22:40:06, ekman@... writes:

              << So, Rogers did make a Barsoom parody? I have seen art illustrating it, but
              thought that those were stand-alone pictures not related to a particular
              story. Do you know in what book the story was published? >>

              Fredrik --

              It's Part II of MORE ADVENTURES OF SAMURAI CAT (Tor, 1986). I got my copy at
              a local con (Balticon) when it first came out. Don't see them very often on
              the secondary market. You might try Alibris or Abebooks. I've had good luck
              with them in filling in my Methuens and Pinnacles.

              AQPorter
            • trynser
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 13, 2002
                Ah, yes. Fighting Cat of Mars. I'm gratified that there are still
                some who still acknowledge the great Tomokato.
              • thongor1
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5 3:50 PM
                  L. Sprague deCamp in "Sir Harold of Zodanga" in The Exotic
                  Enchanter. (Baen 1995)

                  Lin Carter in "A Swordsman of Mars" uncompleted but three Chapters
                  and a synopsis printed in Astro Adventures No. 8 (Cryptic
                  publications, 1989.)
                • thongor1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5 4:05 PM
                    Oh, and me if you count the two books I wrote at 14.