off topic, but erb related, please help!

  • ralph
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
      gents, is it true that THE LION MAN was a movie based on erb's work ?
      it starred jon hall? was this the only movie based on this particular
      story?--thanks, ralph
    • archangelofmars
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
        According to IMDB The Lion Man has ERB listed in the writing
        credits, so it's a pretty safe bet. There's a 1919 film by the same
        name, but I don't know if it's related - no apparent ERB credit.

        -Shawn

        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "ralph" <ggrasso06@a...> wrote:

        > gents, is it true that THE LION MAN was a movie based on erb's work ?
        > it starred jon hall? was this the only movie based on this particular
        > story?--thanks, ralph

      • Don Falkos
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
          Ralph,

          I have a very poor copy of that film on VHS. It claims to be based on ERB's
          story, but I didn't see any similarity. It has been a long time since I
          have watched it, so I can't give you any specifics. I tend to think of The
          Lion Man in the same way that I think of The Jungle Girl, a 15-chapter
          serial that had no connection to ERB's story save that his name appeared in
          the title.

          Don Falkos
          Storyteller
          Storytelling Coach
          6218 Countryside Lane
          Madison, WI 53705

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
            You might find
            ERBzine Silver Screen of interest
            http://www.erbzine.com/mag5/0502.html

            Faster loading, all-text version:
            http://www.erbzine.com/mag5/0502t.html

            The feature on Lion Man is at:
            http://www.erbzine.com/mag4/0450.html

            www.Tarzan.com
            www.BurroughsBibliophiles.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2005
              In a message dated 28/11/05 8:32:51, ggrasso06@... writes:

              > gents, is it true that THE LION MAN  was a  movie based on erb's work ?
              > it starred jon hall?

              Only by second-hand influence. The movie was based on C. P. Stoneham's
              novel THE LION'S WAY, an early Tarzan ripoff.