Re: [barsoom] Do Red Martians have Beards???

  • Jon Egill Eythorsson
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
      I'm pretty sure that ERB specifically mentioned that red, white and black
      martians are beardless but yellow martians have black beards. this was
      probably mentioned in the early description of the red martians in Princess
      and the yellow race is described in Warlord. i'll see if i can find the
      exact descriptions..

      sincerely

      Jon Egill Eythorsson
      jonegill@...
      http://home.talkcity.com/SpiritSt/jonegill/

      >From: jhuckenp@...
      >To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [barsoom] Do Red Martians have Beards???
      >Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:39:35 EST
      >

      >In a message dated 08/11/2001 15:46:56, keithvaughn@... writes:
      >
      ><< Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
      >Indians of ERB's time. >>
      >
      >Keith --
      >
      >I don't recall any specific mention of beards, or the absence of same. I
      >suspect it may be a matter of personal preference, as it is among us.
      >
      >AQPorter

    • Bruce Bozarth
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2001
        keithvaughn@... wrote:
        > Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
        > Indians of ERB's time. Yes, I know about the Yellow Men of the North

        beardless

        --

        TANGOR

        Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
        The Official ERB FAQ is at
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
      • Jim Clunie
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
          ERB describes the Okarians as "black-bearded" even more often than
          "yellow-skinned", which would suggest that it's an unusual or unique feature
          of the race. I haven't, so far, found a specific statement that _all_ red
          Martians are beardless, but here's a couple of supporting quotes:

          (PoM - frescoes depicting ancient white Martians)
          "These were of people like myself, and of a much lighter color than Dejah
          Thoris. They were clad in graceful, flowing robes, highly ornamented with
          metal and jewels, and their luxuriant hair was of a beautiful golden and
          reddish bronze. The men were beardless and only a few wore arms."

          (WoM - Carter and Thuvan Dihn are disguised as yellow men)
          "Talu gazed ruefully at our smooth faces and at Thuvan Dihn's red skin and
          my white one.

          "First you must come to Marentina," he said, "for a great change must be
          wrought in your appearance before you can hope to enter any city in Okar.
          You must have yellow faces and black beards, and your apparel and trappings
          must be those least likely to arouse suspicion. In my palace is one who can
          make you appear as truly yellow men as does Salensus Oll himself."

          "By the end of the third day the court barber--I can think of no other
          earthly appellation by which to describe him--had wrought so remarkable a
          transformation in both Thuvan Dihn and myself that our own wives would never
          have known us. Our skins were of the same lemon color as his own, and great,
          black beards and mustaches had been deftly affixed to our smooth faces."

          Jim C

          >From: "Jon Egill Eythorsson" <jonegill@...>
          >
          >I'm pretty sure that ERB specifically mentioned that red, white and black
          >martians are beardless but yellow martians have black beards. this was
          >probably mentioned in the early description of the red martians in Princess
          >and the yellow race is described in Warlord. i'll see if i can find the
          >exact descriptions..
          >

          > >From: jhuckenp@...
          > >

          > >In a message dated 08/11/2001 15:46:56, keithvaughn@... writes:
          > >
          > ><< Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
          > >Indians of ERB's time. >>
          > >
          > >Keith --
          > >
          > >I don't recall any specific mention of beards, or the absence of same. I
          > >suspect it may be a matter of personal preference, as it is among us.

        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
            On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Jon Egill Eythorsson wrote:

            > I'm pretty sure that ERB specifically mentioned that red, white and
            > black martians are beardless but yellow martians have black beards.

            You are probably thinking about the description of the ancient white
            Barsoomians which are said to be beardless. Note that this does not prove
            that they do not have facial hair at all, but merely that there is none
            depicted on the murals which John Carter saw in Korad.

            Actually, there are two aspects to this question. One is that there is not
            a single description of a bearded red (or white or black) man. This
            supports the theory that there are none.

            The other is that even though John Carter often experiences long periods
            of time when we can expect that he has no means to shave (during
            imprisonment in Warhoon, for instance) no-one seems to find him strange or
            freaky because of the beard we must assume that he temporarily has.

            In my opinion there is no evidence either way. You may claim either theory
            as fact if it suits you.

            /Fredrik
          • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
              Hi Fredrik & Others,

              I was a little curious due to the inability of Tara of Helium to
              recognize Gahan of Gathol after he had been wandering for several
              weeks. If he was clean shaven and had a perfect hair cut in the
              before and bearded and scraggly when he met her again, the inability
              of Tara to recognize him would be expected. Otherwise, ERB asked his
              readers to make a giagantic leap.

              there is not a single description of a bearded red (or white or
              black) man. This supports the theory that there are none.

              >>>The other is that even though John Carter often experiences long
              periods of time when we can expect that he has no means to shave
              (during imprisonment in Warhoon, for instance) no-one seems to find
              him strange or freaky because of the beard we must assume that he
              temporarily has.

              either theory as fact if it suits you.

              Thanks All,
              Keith
            • Jim Clunie
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                >From: keithvaughn@...
                >
                >Hi Fredrik & Others,
                >
                >I was a little curious due to the inability of Tara of Helium to
                >recognize Gahan of Gathol after he had been wandering for several
                >weeks. If he was clean shaven and had a perfect hair cut in the
                >before and bearded and scraggly when he met her again, the inability
                >of Tara to recognize him would be expected. Otherwise, ERB asked his
                >readers to make a giagantic leap.

                Not really so surprising. It wasn't so much that he had been wandering about
                for weeks, as that he had changed his "walking diamond mine" harness (the
                feature that she chiefly noticed in Helium) for the plain leathers of a
                panthan.

                Jim C