Do Red Martians have Beards???

  • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
      To the Group,

      Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
      Indians of ERB's time. Yes, I know about the Yellow Men of the North
      Pole.

      Keith
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
        In a message dated 08/11/2001 15:46:56, keithvaughn@... writes:

        << Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
        Indians of ERB's time. >>

        Keith --

        I don't recall any specific mention of beards, or the absence of same. I
        suspect it may be a matter of personal preference, as it is among us.

        AQPorter
      • Jon Egill Eythorsson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2001
          I'm pretty sure that ERB specifically mentioned that red, white and black
          martians are beardless but yellow martians have black beards. this was
          probably mentioned in the early description of the red martians in Princess
          and the yellow race is described in Warlord. i'll see if i can find the
          exact descriptions..

          sincerely

          Jon Egill Eythorsson
          jonegill@...
          http://home.talkcity.com/SpiritSt/jonegill/

          >From: jhuckenp@...
          >To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [barsoom] Do Red Martians have Beards???
          >Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:39:35 EST
          >

          >In a message dated 08/11/2001 15:46:56, keithvaughn@... writes:
          >
          ><< Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
          >Indians of ERB's time. >>
          >
          >Keith --
          >
          >I don't recall any specific mention of beards, or the absence of same. I
          >suspect it may be a matter of personal preference, as it is among us.
          >
          >AQPorter

        • Bruce Bozarth
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2001
            keithvaughn@... wrote:
            > Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
            > Indians of ERB's time. Yes, I know about the Yellow Men of the North

            beardless

            --

            TANGOR

            Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
            http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
            The Official ERB FAQ is at
            http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
          • Jim Clunie
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
              ERB describes the Okarians as "black-bearded" even more often than
              "yellow-skinned", which would suggest that it's an unusual or unique feature
              of the race. I haven't, so far, found a specific statement that _all_ red
              Martians are beardless, but here's a couple of supporting quotes:

              (PoM - frescoes depicting ancient white Martians)
              "These were of people like myself, and of a much lighter color than Dejah
              Thoris. They were clad in graceful, flowing robes, highly ornamented with
              metal and jewels, and their luxuriant hair was of a beautiful golden and
              reddish bronze. The men were beardless and only a few wore arms."

              (WoM - Carter and Thuvan Dihn are disguised as yellow men)
              "Talu gazed ruefully at our smooth faces and at Thuvan Dihn's red skin and
              my white one.

              "First you must come to Marentina," he said, "for a great change must be
              wrought in your appearance before you can hope to enter any city in Okar.
              You must have yellow faces and black beards, and your apparel and trappings
              must be those least likely to arouse suspicion. In my palace is one who can
              make you appear as truly yellow men as does Salensus Oll himself."

              "By the end of the third day the court barber--I can think of no other
              earthly appellation by which to describe him--had wrought so remarkable a
              transformation in both Thuvan Dihn and myself that our own wives would never
              have known us. Our skins were of the same lemon color as his own, and great,
              black beards and mustaches had been deftly affixed to our smooth faces."

              Jim C

              >From: "Jon Egill Eythorsson" <jonegill@...>
              >
              >I'm pretty sure that ERB specifically mentioned that red, white and black
              >martians are beardless but yellow martians have black beards. this was
              >probably mentioned in the early description of the red martians in Princess
              >and the yellow race is described in Warlord. i'll see if i can find the
              >exact descriptions..
              >

              > >From: jhuckenp@...
              > >

              > >In a message dated 08/11/2001 15:46:56, keithvaughn@... writes:
              > >
              > ><< Did the Red Martians have beards or were they beardless as the
              > >Indians of ERB's time. >>
              > >
              > >Keith --
              > >
              > >I don't recall any specific mention of beards, or the absence of same. I
              > >suspect it may be a matter of personal preference, as it is among us.

            • Fredrik Ekman
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
                On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Jon Egill Eythorsson wrote:

                > I'm pretty sure that ERB specifically mentioned that red, white and
                > black martians are beardless but yellow martians have black beards.

                You are probably thinking about the description of the ancient white
                Barsoomians which are said to be beardless. Note that this does not prove
                that they do not have facial hair at all, but merely that there is none
                depicted on the murals which John Carter saw in Korad.

                Actually, there are two aspects to this question. One is that there is not
                a single description of a bearded red (or white or black) man. This
                supports the theory that there are none.

                The other is that even though John Carter often experiences long periods
                of time when we can expect that he has no means to shave (during
                imprisonment in Warhoon, for instance) no-one seems to find him strange or
                freaky because of the beard we must assume that he temporarily has.

                In my opinion there is no evidence either way. You may claim either theory
                as fact if it suits you.

                /Fredrik
              • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                  Hi Fredrik & Others,

                  I was a little curious due to the inability of Tara of Helium to
                  recognize Gahan of Gathol after he had been wandering for several
                  weeks. If he was clean shaven and had a perfect hair cut in the
                  before and bearded and scraggly when he met her again, the inability
                  of Tara to recognize him would be expected. Otherwise, ERB asked his
                  readers to make a giagantic leap.

                  there is not a single description of a bearded red (or white or
                  black) man. This supports the theory that there are none.

                  >>>The other is that even though John Carter often experiences long
                  periods of time when we can expect that he has no means to shave
                  (during imprisonment in Warhoon, for instance) no-one seems to find
                  him strange or freaky because of the beard we must assume that he
                  temporarily has.

                  either theory as fact if it suits you.

                  Thanks All,
                  Keith
                • Jim Clunie
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2001
                    >From: keithvaughn@...
                    >
                    >Hi Fredrik & Others,
                    >
                    >I was a little curious due to the inability of Tara of Helium to
                    >recognize Gahan of Gathol after he had been wandering for several
                    >weeks. If he was clean shaven and had a perfect hair cut in the
                    >before and bearded and scraggly when he met her again, the inability
                    >of Tara to recognize him would be expected. Otherwise, ERB asked his
                    >readers to make a giagantic leap.

                    Not really so surprising. It wasn't so much that he had been wandering about
                    for weeks, as that he had changed his "walking diamond mine" harness (the
                    feature that she chiefly noticed in Helium) for the plain leathers of a
                    panthan.

                    Jim C