Re: [barsoom] research & gold coins

  • Francis D. A. P Tiffany
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2005
      Dear All,

      On Oct 9, 2005, at 19:37, Den Valdron wrote:

      > I'm still curious as to the time period as that will
      > have a major effect on the ability of your Don to
      > procure weapons.

      That would be the major influence. Generally criminals before the
      late 1970's preferred axes and knives. The general modus operandi was
      power through fear - guns were for merely posing with (à la the
      Krays). Better to slit throats, dismember, wrap up in chicken wire,
      weight down and dispose of at sea. Sawn-off shotguns were used more
      commonly after that - but never often.

      One has to remember that even to purchase ammunition (and assuming
      the government deems it necessary for you to have licence in the
      first place - very, very unlikely unless you are already part of the
      establishment), one has to produce one's gun licence and the amount
      of rounds bought is recorded. Since the various high-profile
      massacres, as I mentioned, only crack-dealers and Northern Irish
      gangsters have criminal access, and even then knives are far more usual.

      As far as I know, on the mainland (i.e. not Northern Ireland) no guns
      have ever been known to pass to criminals via the security forces.
      The accounting for weapons and individual rounds is just too tight.

      > As for guns and criminals, I gotta wonder. It seems
      > to me that generalizing to the entire world from
      > America is a bit of a mistake.
      >
      > Are guns easy to come by for criminals in China?
      > Vietnam? Europe? Latin America? And there's a
      > difference between simple firearms and military ordnance.

      Military ordinance - no way!!! Making them available in the UK would
      instantly make any story laughable!

      I'm sorry military weapons are simply not available to even the very
      best connected criminals. Even at the height of their armed might,
      the IRA had trouble getting a machine gun. With the full support of
      Col. Gaddafi, I think they only ever had about 4 (and almost no
      ammunition for them). Remember gangster films like "Lock, stock" are
      "sexed-up" - far beyond reality.

      Anyway, all the best

      Francis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2005
        >almost no
        ammunition for them). Remember gangster films like
        "Lock, stock" are
        "sexed-up" - far beyond reality.

        Even in "Lock, Stock" weapons are so hard to come by
        that a band of thieves resorts to carrying around
        antique shotguns. The irony is that the weapons
        they're carrying around are worth more than all the
        proceeds of their various crimes.

      • Rick Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2005
          I've lived i nand beento a lot of countries that ranged from 'but AK-47 in the drug store' to England and have never known people to have difficulty getting firearms. The stupidest thing I saw was one guy exiting Panama who when asked before we boarded that aircraft if we had any firearms, he, the idiot, said "sure, here it is" and pulled his shirt to show the derrenger he had bought.

          Like here in Tucson, I go to security seminars whre the police and such insist that the building is safe and secure and impossible to bring weapons into then they get angry when I tell them exactly how to do it. They want to believe that they are doing their job and hate people telling the truth.

          Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
          http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson69
          http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB

          Please note: message attached