Best Martian editions?

  • Fredrik Ekman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 1999
      I started re-reading Princess yesterday (in fact, I have only 30 pages
      left) and found to my dismay that it is quite poorly edited and even worse
      printed. I have what appears to be the eleventh British edition from 1936,
      published by Methuen. Spellings have been changed to British English and
      there are several typographical errors.

      Through the news-group alt.fantasy.er-burroughs I have also learned that
      many other editions of Burroughs books are edited in different ways, in
      particular the Tarzan books were often touched during the 70's.

      This leads me to a question: Does anyone know which editions of the
      Martian books are best (most true to Burroughs' originals)?

      From what editions were the Project Gutenberg texts taken?

      /F
    • Erich von Harben
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 1999
        KAOR!!

        The original hardcover editions are the best. I recently picked up a
        near complete set of Grosset & Dunlop Mars books. They are what ERB
        desired. Some of my hardcovers are from ERB, inc., and they, too, are
        what ERB wrote!

        A Guide to Brasoom is NOT that hard to find! I have picked up two first
        editions and one second edition for $5 each. I live on Social Security
        Disability, and I do not consider this price excessive!!!! There are
        collector/ dealers on the ERB List and the ERB Circle of Friendship list
        who have sold me lots of ERB at most reasonable prices.

        I figure that there are about 100 plus ERB fans on each list!

        Cheers!!

        Erich von Harben
      • Jhuckenp@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 1999
          In a message dated 30/12/1999 06:36:34, evharben@... writes:

          << The original hardcover editions are the best. I recently picked up a
          near complete set of Grosset & Dunlop Mars books. They are what ERB
          desired. Some of my hardcovers are from ERB, inc., and they, too, are
          what ERB wrote! >>

          Erich --

          Unfortunately the G&D's only go through SWORDS and the 1948 ERB's through
          SYNTHETIC MEN. So you still have to find firsts of LLANA and JC.

          One of these days I'll get around to doing a detailed match of the Firsts vs.
          the Doubleday Book Club editions.