Re: [barsoom] John Carter of Mars Pastiche--English Style

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17 9:57 PM
      In a message dated 11/09/2001 02:37:25, keithvaughn@... writes:

      << I recently learned that a series of pastiche Mars novels (Clay Drew
      of Mars) from British author:John Russell Fearn; ... It is a 4 book series:

      Book One--Emperor of Mars
      Book Two--Warrior of Mars
      Book Three--Red Men of Mars
      Book Four--Goddess of Mars

      I have no clue how good these novels are but I enjoy reading the
      imitations of ERB as they usually have their moments. I have checked
      on amazon.com and they do have them.

      For What It's Worth,
      Keith

      Keith --

      I have the Fearns series and, although they are by no means ERB, they are not
      at all bad.

      Fearns also wrote a Tarzan-like series under the pen name "Earl Titan":

      THE GOLD OF AKADA and
      ANJANI THE MIGHTY

      Both were originally published in 1951 by Scion, and reprinted by Gryphon
      Press.

      AQPorter
    • Rod H
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18 7:16 AM
        jhuckenp@... wrote:

        > Fearns also wrote a Tarzan-like series under the pen name
        > "Earl Titan":
        >
        > THE GOLD OF AKADA and
        > ANJANI THE MIGHTY
        >
        > Both were originally published in 1951 by Scion, and
        > reprinted by Gryphon
        > Press.

        with a 30 dollar price tag. Are they worth $30?

        Rod
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 18 9:15 AM
          In a message dated 18/09/2001 16:16:05, rodney@... writes:

          << with a 30 dollar price tag. Are they worth $30? >>

          Rod --

          Probably not, unless you're a fanatical completist on pastiches as I am.
          (For research purposes only, of course.)

          AQPorter
        • Jon Egill Eythorsson
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 20 11:33 PM
            Jon Egill Eythorsson
            jonegill@...
            http://home.talkcity.com/SpiritSt/jonegill/

            >From: jhuckenp@...
            >To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [barsoom] John Carter of Mars Pastiche--English Style
            >Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:57:37 EDT
            >

            >In a message dated 11/09/2001 02:37:25, keithvaughn@... writes:
            >
            ><< I recently learned that a series of pastiche Mars novels (Clay Drew
            >of Mars) from British author:John Russell Fearn; ... It is a 4 book series:
            >
            >Book One--Emperor of Mars
            >Book Two--Warrior of Mars
            >Book Three--Red Men of Mars
            >Book Four--Goddess of Mars
            >
            >I have no clue how good these novels are but I enjoy reading the
            >imitations of ERB as they usually have their moments. I have checked
            >on amazon.com and they do have them.
            >
            >For What It's Worth,
            >Keith

            �R� "S�

          • Redneck
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 26 6:51 PM
              Hi Guys, Save your money. I bought two of these books(Red Men of Mars and
              Goddess of Mars [3+4] . What a Waste!!! Never mind that the books are thin,
              but they were copied with a copier and not a printer. Yuch! Blah! Drew Clay
              (the hero?) of the story is neither an honorable man nor is he much of a
              fighter. He's rude, obnoxious, with no redemeable charaterics.(Sorry for my
              spelling). By the end of the third chapter I was rhooting(spelling again)
              for the bay guy. Clay was guilty of the same crime (the wiping out of
              hundreds of thousands of peaceful beings) as the bad guy was trying to do in
              the first two books(and that labeled him as a bad guy). And Clay did so with
              no complusion or reprecussions. Clay did nothing heroic in my eyes he let
              his servants (slaves) do it. Especially when one of the once peaceful aliens
              went into Clay's castle and escaped, he sent the Captain of the Guard after
              him, where our John Carter would have leaped into the nearest aircraft and
              pursued him. So save your dollars kiddies and buy at least Moorcock's Kane
              series or Carter's Callisto series. And thanks for letting me rant.
              Theresa
              > I recently learned that a series of pastiche Mars novels (Clay Drew
              > of Mars) from British author:John Russell Fearn; is in print again
              > (trade paperback I believe, they are $15 US.)
              >
              > It is a 4 book series:
              >
              > Book One--Emperor of Mars
              > Book Two--Warrior of Mars
              > Book Three--Red Men of Mars
              > Book Four--Goddess of Mars
              >
              > I have no clue how good these novels are but I enjoy reading the
              > imitations of ERB as they usually have their moments. I have checked
              > on amazon.com and they do have them.
              >
              > For What It's Worth,
              > Keith

            • Bruce Bozarth
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 29 10:16 PM
                Redneck wrote:

                > Hi Guys, Save your money. I bought two of these books(Red Men of Mars and
                > Goddess of Mars [3+4] . What a Waste!!! Never mind that the books are thin,

                Would appreciate some bibliographic information regarding these books so
                that I might list them accurately at Tangor's Pastiche Bibliography
                http://freeweb.pdq.net/tangor

                --

                TANGOR

                Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
                http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
                The Official ERB FAQ is at
                http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 29 11:11 PM
                  In a message dated 30/09/2001 07:21:55, tangor@... writes:

                  << Would appreciate some bibliographic information regarding these books so
                  that I might list them accurately at Tangor's Pastiche Bibliography >>

                  Tangor --

                  Bibliographic information on the John Russell Fearn Mars books:

                  1. EMPEROR OF MARS (London, Scion Books Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                  Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                  2. WARRIOR OF MARS (London, Scion Books, Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                  Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                  3. RED MEN OF MARS (London, Scion Books, Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                  Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                  4. GODDESS OF MARS (London, Scion Books, Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                  Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                  Note that these are not pastiches in the narrower sense; they do not use
                  ERB's characters or location, but are pastiches in the broader sense (which
                  would include the Martian stories of Leigh Brackett, Otis Adelbert Kline,
                  Michael Moorcock ("Edward P. Bradbury") and Ross Rocklynne.

                  AQPorter
                • Redneck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 30 2:06 PM
                    Dear Bruce,
                    I protest that you list these aweful books, please don't. But if you must
                    please include in () 's that the hero (?) and heroine(?) are bigoted,
                    selfish, self rightous, self serving cowards that don't have a noble thought
                    between them. Thank you.
                    Sincerely
                    Theresa

                  • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 30 2:50 PM
                      Hi Therese,

                      Sorry I gave you a bum steer. I just wanted to inform the group of
                      the existance of these books.

                      I just found and read another pastiche or actually a satire of the
                      ERB Martian books: "Ardor on Aros" by Andrew J. Offutt. I can't say
                      I liked the book much. The protagonist starts out as a pig and a
                      slacker--not much to admire. After the first couple of chapters it
                      picks up and becomes a fairly good read. THe protagonist does grow
                      into a hero after a time but I had trouble figuring out the
                      motivation. I thought the ending was rather weak. It was a bit like
                      Cervantes: "Don Quitoxe" in the theme of the story seemed to change
                      in the middle of the book from a comedy/satire to an adventure tale.
                      It's odd because Andrew J. Offutt has written some good stuff.

                      It's worth a rainy afternoon but not much more. I was lucky, I found
                      it in a used bookstore for 50 cents-Canadian (roughly 30 cents.)

                      I'm about to read: "The Gods of Xuma" by David J. Lake. I will admit
                      the start isn't much to get excited about but it is one of the old
                      DAW gold spine books--does anyone remember those? I can't remember
                      anything else by him.

                      All for Now,
                      Keith
                    • Redneck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 30 7:36 PM
                        That's alright, Keith. I was willing (and wanting) to read some Pasticia
                        Mars fiction. My trouble is finding new (old) stories. Can you believe I
                        bought E.P.Bradbury's Mars series in the early seventies at a used book
                        store, then turned arround and bought them again in the later seventies when
                        the published them again under new titles and Moorcock? And if that isn't
                        enough I bought the hard back of them last year. Like duh!
                        But, like I was saying, in the Clay Series, the main characters stayed jerks
                        right up till the end. They had NO redeeming qualities! Made me wish that
                        the bad guy won. At least he was trying to better his race's lot in life,
                        instead of being slaves.
                        Sincerely,
                        Theresa