Best Mars Novel Question

  • jswalsh65@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2001
      Hello All,

      I'm new to the group and have been reading A Princess of Mars and the
      two-volume ERB biography and have a question about each:

      I'm enjoying the book and am curious about the members' opinion about
      the sequels. I intend to read them all, slowly, to spread them out
      over time, so I won't have to read all the weak fantasy garbage out
      there. But just for reference, if you had to pick one--and only one--
      of the succeeding novels in the series as the best and one--only one--
      as the worst, which would you pick? What qualities affected your
      choice?

      The biography is pretty dry reading, though that's one of the things
      I enjoy about it. Like a Teddy Roosevelt bio i read last year, it
      takes the myth out of the man. I'd actually recommend the ERB bio to
      anyone considering a writing career, it shows how "normal" being a
      writer is, you have to work at it, rewriting, editing, thinking, etc.
      But are there any other ERB bios out there you found more
      entertaining? Because this one's pretty dry.

      Thanks for having this group. Look forward to your relies.

      John S Walsh
    • Xenophile
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2001
        Gods of Mars

        It's close, though. Warlord is very, very good. But I think that
        Gods is just a wee bit better.
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2001
          Best would have to be Gods of Mars. Worst, probably John Carter of Mars (just the first half, the 2nd half is pretty good, and sadly, unfinished). Just my humble opinion :-)

        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2001
            I think I will have to agree that Gods of Mars is the best in the series,
            although Chessmen and Synthetic Men are very good, too. As for worst,
            well, there is not one of the novels that is really bad (the first half of
            John Carter of Mars does not count). Llana of Gathol has its poorer
            moments, although the wakest overall is probably Swords.

            IMO.

            /Fredrik