John Carter of Mars Pastiche--English Style

  • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2001
      Just some Info to the Group,

      I recently learned that a series of pastiche Mars novels (Clay Drew
      of Mars) from British author:John Russell Fearn; is in print again
      (trade paperback I believe, they are $15 US.)

      It is a 4 book series:

      Book One--Emperor of Mars
      Book Two--Warrior of Mars
      Book Three--Red Men of Mars
      Book Four--Goddess of Mars

      I have no clue how good these novels are but I enjoy reading the
      imitations of ERB as they usually have their moments. I have checked
      on amazon.com and they do have them.

      For What It's Worth,
      Keith
    • Redneck
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 11, 2001
        Hey Keith, Thanks for the heads up.
        Sincerely,
        Theresa

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2001
          In a message dated 11/09/2001 02:37:25, keithvaughn@... writes:

          << I recently learned that a series of pastiche Mars novels (Clay Drew
          of Mars) from British author:John Russell Fearn; ... It is a 4 book series:

          Book One--Emperor of Mars
          Book Two--Warrior of Mars
          Book Three--Red Men of Mars
          Book Four--Goddess of Mars

          I have no clue how good these novels are but I enjoy reading the
          imitations of ERB as they usually have their moments. I have checked
          on amazon.com and they do have them.

          For What It's Worth,
          Keith

          Keith --

          I have the Fearns series and, although they are by no means ERB, they are not
          at all bad.

          Fearns also wrote a Tarzan-like series under the pen name "Earl Titan":

          THE GOLD OF AKADA and
          ANJANI THE MIGHTY

          Both were originally published in 1951 by Scion, and reprinted by Gryphon
          Press.

          AQPorter
        • Rod H
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 18, 2001
            jhuckenp@... wrote:

            > Fearns also wrote a Tarzan-like series under the pen name
            > "Earl Titan":
            >
            > THE GOLD OF AKADA and
            > ANJANI THE MIGHTY
            >
            > Both were originally published in 1951 by Scion, and
            > reprinted by Gryphon
            > Press.

            with a 30 dollar price tag. Are they worth $30?

            Rod
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 2001
              In a message dated 18/09/2001 16:16:05, rodney@... writes:

              << with a 30 dollar price tag. Are they worth $30? >>

              Rod --

              Probably not, unless you're a fanatical completist on pastiches as I am.
              (For research purposes only, of course.)

              AQPorter
            • Jon Egill Eythorsson
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 20, 2001
                Jon Egill Eythorsson
                jonegill@...
                http://home.talkcity.com/SpiritSt/jonegill/

                >From: jhuckenp@...
                >To: barsoom@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [barsoom] John Carter of Mars Pastiche--English Style
                >Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:57:37 EDT
                >

                >In a message dated 11/09/2001 02:37:25, keithvaughn@... writes:
                >
                ><< I recently learned that a series of pastiche Mars novels (Clay Drew
                >of Mars) from British author:John Russell Fearn; ... It is a 4 book series:
                >
                >Book One--Emperor of Mars
                >Book Two--Warrior of Mars
                >Book Three--Red Men of Mars
                >Book Four--Goddess of Mars
                >
                >I have no clue how good these novels are but I enjoy reading the
                >imitations of ERB as they usually have their moments. I have checked
                >on amazon.com and they do have them.
                >
                >For What It's Worth,
                >Keith

                �R� "S�

              • Redneck
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 26, 2001
                  Hi Guys, Save your money. I bought two of these books(Red Men of Mars and
                  Goddess of Mars [3+4] . What a Waste!!! Never mind that the books are thin,
                  but they were copied with a copier and not a printer. Yuch! Blah! Drew Clay
                  (the hero?) of the story is neither an honorable man nor is he much of a
                  fighter. He's rude, obnoxious, with no redemeable charaterics.(Sorry for my
                  spelling). By the end of the third chapter I was rhooting(spelling again)
                  for the bay guy. Clay was guilty of the same crime (the wiping out of
                  hundreds of thousands of peaceful beings) as the bad guy was trying to do in
                  the first two books(and that labeled him as a bad guy). And Clay did so with
                  no complusion or reprecussions. Clay did nothing heroic in my eyes he let
                  his servants (slaves) do it. Especially when one of the once peaceful aliens
                  went into Clay's castle and escaped, he sent the Captain of the Guard after
                  him, where our John Carter would have leaped into the nearest aircraft and
                  pursued him. So save your dollars kiddies and buy at least Moorcock's Kane
                  series or Carter's Callisto series. And thanks for letting me rant.
                  Theresa
                  > I recently learned that a series of pastiche Mars novels (Clay Drew
                  > of Mars) from British author:John Russell Fearn; is in print again
                  > (trade paperback I believe, they are $15 US.)
                  >
                  > It is a 4 book series:
                  >
                  > Book One--Emperor of Mars
                  > Book Two--Warrior of Mars
                  > Book Three--Red Men of Mars
                  > Book Four--Goddess of Mars
                  >
                  > I have no clue how good these novels are but I enjoy reading the
                  > imitations of ERB as they usually have their moments. I have checked
                  > on amazon.com and they do have them.
                  >
                  > For What It's Worth,
                  > Keith

                • Bruce Bozarth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 29, 2001
                    Redneck wrote:

                    > Hi Guys, Save your money. I bought two of these books(Red Men of Mars and
                    > Goddess of Mars [3+4] . What a Waste!!! Never mind that the books are thin,

                    Would appreciate some bibliographic information regarding these books so
                    that I might list them accurately at Tangor's Pastiche Bibliography
                    http://freeweb.pdq.net/tangor

                    --

                    TANGOR

                    Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
                    http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
                    The Official ERB FAQ is at
                    http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 29, 2001
                      In a message dated 30/09/2001 07:21:55, tangor@... writes:

                      << Would appreciate some bibliographic information regarding these books so
                      that I might list them accurately at Tangor's Pastiche Bibliography >>

                      Tangor --

                      Bibliographic information on the John Russell Fearn Mars books:

                      1. EMPEROR OF MARS (London, Scion Books Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                      Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                      2. WARRIOR OF MARS (London, Scion Books, Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                      Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                      3. RED MEN OF MARS (London, Scion Books, Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                      Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                      4. GODDESS OF MARS (London, Scion Books, Ltd., 1950; repr. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
                      Gryphon Books, July 1995)

                      Note that these are not pastiches in the narrower sense; they do not use
                      ERB's characters or location, but are pastiches in the broader sense (which
                      would include the Martian stories of Leigh Brackett, Otis Adelbert Kline,
                      Michael Moorcock ("Edward P. Bradbury") and Ross Rocklynne.

                      AQPorter
                    • Redneck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 30, 2001
                        Dear Bruce,
                        I protest that you list these aweful books, please don't. But if you must
                        please include in () 's that the hero (?) and heroine(?) are bigoted,
                        selfish, self rightous, self serving cowards that don't have a noble thought
                        between them. Thank you.
                        Sincerely
                        Theresa

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 30, 2001
                          Hi Therese,

                          Sorry I gave you a bum steer. I just wanted to inform the group of
                          the existance of these books.

                          I just found and read another pastiche or actually a satire of the
                          ERB Martian books: "Ardor on Aros" by Andrew J. Offutt. I can't say
                          I liked the book much. The protagonist starts out as a pig and a
                          slacker--not much to admire. After the first couple of chapters it
                          picks up and becomes a fairly good read. THe protagonist does grow
                          into a hero after a time but I had trouble figuring out the
                          motivation. I thought the ending was rather weak. It was a bit like
                          Cervantes: "Don Quitoxe" in the theme of the story seemed to change
                          in the middle of the book from a comedy/satire to an adventure tale.
                          It's odd because Andrew J. Offutt has written some good stuff.

                          It's worth a rainy afternoon but not much more. I was lucky, I found
                          it in a used bookstore for 50 cents-Canadian (roughly 30 cents.)

                          I'm about to read: "The Gods of Xuma" by David J. Lake. I will admit
                          the start isn't much to get excited about but it is one of the old
                          DAW gold spine books--does anyone remember those? I can't remember
                          anything else by him.

                          All for Now,
                          Keith
                        • Redneck
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 30, 2001
                            That's alright, Keith. I was willing (and wanting) to read some Pasticia
                            Mars fiction. My trouble is finding new (old) stories. Can you believe I
                            bought E.P.Bradbury's Mars series in the early seventies at a used book
                            store, then turned arround and bought them again in the later seventies when
                            the published them again under new titles and Moorcock? And if that isn't
                            enough I bought the hard back of them last year. Like duh!
                            But, like I was saying, in the Clay Series, the main characters stayed jerks
                            right up till the end. They had NO redeeming qualities! Made me wish that
                            the bad guy won. At least he was trying to better his race's lot in life,
                            instead of being slaves.
                            Sincerely,
                            Theresa