Martian language dictionary

  • Fredrik Ekman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 1999
      Hi!

      I recently signed on to this list and noticed that it is not extremely
      busy, so I suppose everyone will be happy that I break the silence.

      Anyway, I have been searching for some time for information about ERB's
      fictional languages, and mostly about the languages of Amtor and Barsoom.
      Strangely, there is very little information. What amazes me most is that I
      cannot seem to find one single dictionary of Barsoomian words. Certainly,
      there are several encyclopedic lists (not least of which is the list at
      the end of Thuvia), but none that concentrates on the meaning of words.
      Even the language page at http://www.langmaker.com/barsoom.htm only has an
      adapted Thuvia list.

      Not finding anything like this, I am of half a mind to make one of my own
      (which would mean re-reading the entire series). But before I embark on
      such a project, I would like to ask this group if you know of anything
      similar. Perhaps there is some such list in any of the books about
      Barsoom?

      I am aware that such a list would be very short, but it would be my
      intention to also include words from fan fiction (not that there seem to
      be many) and words that can be assumed from other words.

      /F

      PS. Happy New Year to all of you!
    • Erich von Harben
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 1999
        KAOR!!!

        I, too, have sought a Barsoom language dictionary. I have found the
        Tarzan Ape- English dictionary. I have it in my puter for e- mail
        sending.

        I noted some of Amtor's language in irwin Porges' "ERB: The Man Who
        Created Tarzan. A nice biography!

        There are several places on the web too. A Barsoom Glossary is
        available, and is extensive. John Flint Roy did a book in the late 70s
        that was EVERYTHING about Barsoom. I forget the title, but will find it
        by Wednesday.

        Cheers!

        Erich von Harben
      • Jhuckenp@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 1999
          In a message dated 28/12/1999 17:57:06, ekman@... writes:

          << Perhaps there is some such list in any of the books about
          Barsoom? >>

          Fredrik --

          I put together a Barsoomian Glossary in the mid-1960's, expanding on the one
          at the end of THUVIA to include the remaining seven books in the series. It
          was published by Caz in ERB-dom.

          Huck/AQPorter
        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 1999
            Thanks for your replies, gentlemen.

            > I put together a Barsoomian Glossary in the mid-1960's, expanding on
            > the one at the end of THUVIA to include the remaining seven books in
            > the series. It was published by Caz in ERB-dom.

            But if it was an expansion of the Thuvia glossary, then I presume it is
            more in the style of a encyclopedic glossary (for purposes of reference)
            rather than a dictionary (for purposes of translation)? In any event, I
            would assume that old issues of ERB-dom are hard to come by these days.

            As for the Roy book suggested by Herr von Harben, I do know about it, but
            have failed to find an affordable copy. It is out of print and quite
            sought-after by collectors.

            /F
          • Bill & Sue-On Hillman
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 1999
              Some of the things you are looking for are scattered throughout
              my various ERB websites.

              Bill Hillman
              JoN ~ Jeddak of the North

              Navigation charts to JoN's entire ERB COSMOS
              http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/intromq1.html
              Instant TransPortals to our ERB FANTASY REALMS
              http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/erbkaor.html
              ERBzin-e WEEKLY ONLINE FANZINE
              Links to this week's edition & hundreds more in archives
              http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/erbmg101.html
            • Fredrik Ekman
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 29, 1999
                Bill Hillman wrote:

                > Some of the things you are looking for are scattered throughout my
                > various ERB websites.

                Which is exactly the problem. I want it all collected in one place. Well,
                I have decided to embark upon my project now. Wish me luck!

                By the way, I have seen your web-site before and think it is excellent, in
                content if not always in form. It has helped me gain much knowledge that I
                could have found nowhere else.

                /F
              • Bill & Sue-On Hillman
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 29, 1999
                  > By the way, I have seen your web-site before and think it is excellent, in
                  > content if not always in form. It has helped me gain much knowledge that I
                  > could have found nowhere else.

                  What form would you prefer, Fredrik...?... perhaps I can accomodate...
                  Of our almost 1,000 websites there is already quite a variety to choose
                  from.

                  Do you have a website?

                  JoN

                  Navigation charts to JoN's entire ERB COSMOS
                  http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/intromq1.html
                  Instant TransPortals to our ERB FANTASY REALMS
                  http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/erbkaor.html
                  ERBzin-e WEEKLY ONLINE FANZINE
                  Links to this week's edition & hundreds more in archives
                  http://home.westman.wave.ca/~hillmans/erbmg101.html

                  "Science is the only self-correcting human institution, but it is also a
                  process that progresses only by showing itself to be wrong."

                  - Astronomer Allan Sandage.