Re: [barsoom] New poll for barsoom

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/6/05 11:33:12, barsoom@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > o Kantos Kan (PM)
      >   o Xodar (GM)
      >   o Thuvan Dihn (WM)
      >   o Kar Komak (TMM)
      >   o Ghek the Kaldane (CM)
      >   o Dar Tarus (MMM)
      >   o Gur Hajus (MMM)
      >   o Hovan Du (MMM)
      >   o Nur An (FMM)
      >   o Jat Or (SM)
      >   o Tun-gan (SMM)
      >   o Pan Dan Chee (LG)
      >   o Han Du (JCM)

      Well, I voted. But my personal favorite sidekick is Tavia, who for some
      inexplicable reason was left off the list -- as was Woola, my second favorite.

    • ekman@lysator.liu.se
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
        > Well, I voted. But my personal favorite sidekick is Tavia, who for some
        > inexplicable reason was left off the list -- as was Woola, my second
        > favorite.

        The concept of "sidekick" is not allways clear-cut. Yes, I considered
        Tavia for inclusion in the list, but Tavia is just as much romantic
        interest as she is sidekick. Woola is also a sidekick, of course, but
        could optionally be defined as a faithful animal. I also left out
        Carthoris and Tan Hadron, because they double as heroes in their own right
        in other titles, making them harder to distinguish as sidekicks in the
        overall picture. I wanted only the ones who are predominantly and
        unquestionably sidekick companions. Even so, I had doubts about a few in
        the list. What about Vad Varo's band in Master Mind? Are they sidekicks by
        the most strict definition of the term?

        What is the most strict definition, anyway?

        /Fredrik
      • Shawn Dueck
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
          I absolutely argee. Tavia is my favorite as well. I
          imagine that she was excluded because she is also a
          love interest. Though not my favorite sidekick, I
          think I would want Kantos Kan with me in a scrap. I
          voted for Ghek. Not all the sidekicks got a lot of
          "fleshing out" in each case.
          -Shawn

          --- jhuckenp@... wrote:

          ---------------------------------

          In a message dated 1/6/05 11:33:12,
          barsoom@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > o Kantos Kan (PM)
          > o Xodar (GM)
          > o Thuvan Dihn (WM)
          > o Kar Komak (TMM)
          > o Ghek the Kaldane (CM)
          > o Dar Tarus (MMM)
          > o Gur Hajus (MMM)
          > o Hovan Du (MMM)
          > o Nur An (FMM)
          > o Jat Or (SM)
          > o Tun-gan (SMM)
          > o Pan Dan Chee (LG)
          > o Han Du (JCM)

          Well, I voted. But my personal favorite sidekick is
          Tavia, who for some
          inexplicable reason was left off the list -- as was
          Woola, my second favorite.

          Terms of Service.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2005
            In a message dated 2/6/05 8:27:02, ekman@... writes:

            > The concept of "sidekick" is not allways clear-cut. Yes, I considered Tavia
            > for inclusion in the list, but Tavia is just as much romantic interest as
            > she is sidekick.

            Tavia was a sidekick for over 90% of the book. Only in the last few pages
            (309-319) did she become a romantic interest.

          • jim_clunie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
              > > The concept of "sidekick" is not allways clear-cut. Yes, I
              considered Tavia
              > > for inclusion in the list, but Tavia is just as much romantic
              interest as
              > > she is sidekick.
              > >
              > Tavia was a sidekick for over 90% of the book. Only in the last
              few pages
              > (309-319) did she become a romantic interest.

              By that logic Thuvia should be in the poll as well. In "Gods" she
              appears as Carthoris' love interest in literally the last paragraph
              and is John Carter's sidekick up to that point.
            • ekman@lysator.liu.se
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                > Tavia was a sidekick for over 90% of the book. Only in the last few
                > pages
                > (309-319) did she become a romantic interest.

                That is a matter of interpretation. I maintain that Hadron, in actions and
                thoughts, showed a lot more feelings than you would normally do for a mere
                sidekick far earlier than that. Therefore, their relationship is much more
                complex than the standard hero/sidekick relationship. You have every right
                to disagree with my judgement, of course, but at least I had not forgotten
                about her.

                Fredrik
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                  In a message dated 3/6/05 3:45:09, jim.clunie@... writes:

                  > By that logic Thuvia should be in the poll as well. In "Gods" she
                  > appears as Carthoris' love interest in literally the last paragraph
                  > and is John Carter's sidekick up to that point.

                  But Thuvia has a whole book of her own in which she is the major love
                  interest. And I think you meant the last paragraph of WARLORD, not GODS.

                • Jim Clunie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                    On 6/4/05, jhuckenp@... <jhuckenp@...> wrote:

                    > In a message dated 3/6/05 3:45:09, jim.clunie@... writes:
                    >
                    > > By that logic Thuvia should be in the poll as well. In "Gods" she
                    > > appears as Carthoris' love interest in literally the last paragraph
                    > > and is John Carter's sidekick up to that point.
                    > >
                    > But Thuvia has a whole book of her own in which she is the major love
                    > interest. And I think you meant the last paragraph of WARLORD, not GODS.

                    Quite right, I should have checked before posting. She's Carter's
                    sidekick for the whole of "Gods" and all but the last page or two of
                    "Warlord".

                    Cheers
                    Jim C
                  • Jim Clunie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
                      > But Thuvia has a whole book of her own in which she is the major love
                      > interest. And I think you meant the last paragraph of WARLORD, not GODS.

                      It's interesting, by the way, that Carter is moved to say to himself
                      "Why not?" and reflect that age is no barrier to romance on Barsoom.
                      Possibly he means the fifteen Martian years that she was enslaved by
                      the Therns, but it seems to me that JC has a longer period of time in
                      mind. Do we ever find out how old Thuvia was when she took her voyage
                      down the river Iss?

                      Jim C
                    • ggrasso06@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 9, 2010
                        damn! that really "made" my day, i hope not--ralph g

                        In a message dated 2/9/2010 3:38:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        dgvaldron@... writes:

                        Washout

                        --- On Tue, 2/9/10, _barsoom@yahoogroupsbars_

                        From: _barsoom@yahoogroupsbars_ (mailto:barsoom@yahoogroups.com)
                        <_barsoom@yahoogroupsbars_ (mailto:barsoom@yahoogroups.com) >
                        Subject: [barsoom] New poll for barsoom
                        To: _barsoom@yahoogroupsbars_ (mailto:barsoom@yahoogroups.com)

                        barsoom group:

                        how do you think the princess of mars movie {2012}will do?

                        o as good as "the lord of the rings" series

                        o ok, but not worthy of a sequel

                        o a complete washout

                        o faithful but a washout

                        o not faithful but a box office hit

                        _http://groups._ (http://groups./) yahoo.com/ group/barsoom/ surveys?id=
                        2946572

                        web site listed above.

                        Thanks!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 9, 2010
                          Really, who knows.  The only thing we can be sure of is that they're going to spend great horking piles of money on it.  They're going to CGI it to the hilt.  Then they're going to market and merchandise the hell out of it.  Then in six months, it will be forgotten, like the standard Hollywood blockbuster.

                          From: _barsoom@yahoogroup sbars_ (mailto:barsoom@yahoogroups .com)

                          <_barsoom@yahoogrou psbars_ (mailto:barsoom@yahoogroups .com) >

                          To: _barsoom@yahoogroup sbars_ (mailto:barsoom@yahoogroups .com)

                          Get the name you've always wanted @... or @rocketmail. Get