Re: [barsoom] Re: THARK! Who goes there?

  • Rod H
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2001
      I just went to
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5236/thark.html and saw that
      Thark model.

      Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
      lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
      seems sooooo out of place on one.

      Makes him appear Greek like.

      Had to poke my head (no pun intended) out of lurking for
      this comment.

      Rod/ex-Nu
    • Bruce Bozarth
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2001
        Rod H wrote:
        > Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
        > lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
        > seems sooooo out of place on one.

        Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with basic texts
        regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a penis is
        required equipment between males and females in a monotreme-like
        species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved viable).

        > Rod/ex-Nu

        Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB Persona Directory.
        If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to relinquish the
        listing so that another might have fun.

        --

        TANGOR

        Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
        The Official ERB FAQ is at
        http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
      • Rod H
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2001
          Bruce Bozarth wrote:

          > Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with
          > basic texts
          > regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a
          > penis is
          > required equipment between males and females in a
          > monotreme-like
          > species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved
          > viable).

          Ah, Bruce Bozarth!

          I'm just going to offer my impressions.

          Regarding the Green Men of Mars, it has always been my
          impression that these fellows were less sexual than
          humans. Far less sexual. For the most part, Green Man
          history and descriptions can be found in "Princess".
          Afterward, they were little more than decoration for the
          most of the Martian Series.

          The Green Men have been described as "virtuous" at the end
          of Chapter 12 of "Princess". The entire quote is very
          interesting for several reasons, beyond the statement that
          Green Men/Women are chaste.

          "It is true that the green Martians are absolutely virtuous,
          both men and women, with the exception of such degenerates
          as Tal Hajus; but better far a finer balance of human
          characteristics even at the expense of a slight and
          occasional loss of chastity."

          Of course, nothing in this passage points to whether if a
          green Martian has a prominent penis, or if their women had
          equally impressive vaginas. What it does say is that green
          Men are not interested in sex. Nor are the women.

          In fact, the women are considered as simply part of a
          military camp. Perhaps not more than possessions, as
          horses were to the Comanche. Additionally, women were
          greatly valued as breeding machines, and, as further
          evidence of their lack of hot sexuality, the green Martians
          bred more in the purpose for producing superior offspring,
          than they did for any other reason.

          As a side note of interest, this Tal Hajus fellow seems
          somewhat of a throwback to the days when the green Men were
          different. He was not only cruel and ferocious as all
          'modern' green Martians are, he was also "a slave to that
          brute passions which the waning demands for procreation upon
          their dying planet has almost stilled in the Martian
          breast". I assume ERB refers to the green Martians here.

          None of this helps us decide whether a green Martian man has
          a outside, prominent penis or not. It does help us
          understand that they are not a sexually passionate race.
          Death by torture might be a problem, but death by rape would
          not be under ordinary circumstances.

          I think that penises come in a variety of sizes, shapes,
          inner and outer, hooded or exposed. I don't care what kind
          of male sexual organ green Martian men have. Its just that
          for some reason I have always had the image of some green
          frog like creature that had once been more amphibian than
          mammalian (and we know they are not mammals). I don't know
          what kind of male sexual organs the green Martian men have,
          nor am I likely to ever know because ERB was not the kind of
          author to elaborate on those issues. Except for my viewing
          the photo on the internet that started this conjecture, I
          probably wouldn't have thought about it.

          More interesting is your point that Carter impregnated
          Dejah, and Dejah is an egg laying creature just as the green
          Martians are. Obviously, Carter has a penis, presumably a
          normal one by Earth human standards. Obviously, he
          fertilized Dejah at least two times. Obviously Dejah laid a
          fertilized egg which grew in size until it hatched, etc.
          etc. What we do know is that Carter injected his semen
          into his wife and started the fertilization process. Or we
          assume this, since, as mentioned before, ERB would never
          elaborate on such an issue.

          We don't know what size the injection apparatus needed to be
          to fertilize a red Martian woman. We assume it is
          something similar to standard Earth man equipment.
          Frankly, I think this might be a fanciful assumption
          considering the fact that red Martians are quite different
          from us, except for the literary plot mechanism that Carter
          produced offspring on Dejah, and it might be that he had
          some help in this fertilization by scientific or esoteric
          means. That is something ERB 'might' not elaborate on. ;
          )

          Point being, we can make assumptions, which are not much
          more than opinions in most cases. I prefer to think of the
          green Martians as sleek skinned like a frog or snake, and if
          they have penises (or appropriate apparatus) then they are
          enveloped in some fleshy pocket. Why, because it seems an
          image more appropriate with their emotional and mental
          attributes of chastity.

          > > Rod/ex-Nu
          >
          > Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB
          > Persona Directory.
          > If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to
          > relinquish the
          > listing so that another might have fun.

          Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
          the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
          months??) then they were automatically removed from the
          persona directory. I called myself ex-Nu because I assumed
          that had been done. I have not been active on the ERB
          mailing lists for a long time because my time is limited. I
          haven't checked the Persona Directory in quite a long time,
          so I don't know, categorically, that I am no longer "Nu".

          Of course, I prefer to be "Nu". There has never been any
          question in that matter.

          Although I haven't been active on any ERB lists (for
          several personal reasons), I have not lost my interest in
          ERB. I continue to reread Tarzan books (several a year) and
          make notes on the ape-man. Recently, I read all but one of
          the Pellucidar books before getting bored with the last
          one. Not too recently, I tried to read the Venus series
          and stopped after #2 because of boredom.

          Again, I am a bit interested in Carter and Barsoom. Hence
          my subscription to this list. ERB's two best works have
          always been Tarzan (first) and Barsoom (second), with the
          possible exception of an Eternal Savage.

          Rod
        • Bruce Bozarth
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 30, 2001
            Rod H wrote:
            > Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
            > the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
            > months??) then they were automatically removed from the
            > persona directory.

            Rod/Ex-Nu, consider it done. Appreciate the heads up regarding your
            continuing interest in ERB and understandable lack of interest in
            participating on the ERB lists.