Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [barsoom] Pellucidar

Expand Messages
  • Jonathan Nixon
    You got that right! ...and completely off topic... Did you ever see Starcrash with Caroline Munro and David Hasselhoff? Now there was a bad... bad... bad...
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 12 7:45 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      You got that right!

      ...and completely off topic...

      Did you ever see "Starcrash" with Caroline Munro and
      David Hasselhoff?

      Now there was a bad... bad... bad... movie.

      - Jon

      --- Steve Wadding <wadding@...> wrote:
      > At 06:07 AM 7/12/01 +0000, xenophile2002@...
      > wrote:
      > >Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.
      >
      > Caroline Munro is the only real reason to watch that
      > movie.
      > Ghak
      >
      >


      =====


      __________________________________________________
      Do You Yahoo!?
      Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail
      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Rod H
      I just went to http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5236/thark.html and saw that Thark model. Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        I just went to
        http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5236/thark.html and saw that
        Thark model.

        Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
        lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
        seems sooooo out of place on one.

        Makes him appear Greek like.

        Had to poke my head (no pun intended) out of lurking for
        this comment.

        Rod/ex-Nu
      • Bruce Bozarth
        ... Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with basic texts regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a penis is required equipment
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          Rod H wrote:
          > Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
          > lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
          > seems sooooo out of place on one.

          Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with basic texts
          regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a penis is
          required equipment between males and females in a monotreme-like
          species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved viable).

          > Rod/ex-Nu

          Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB Persona Directory.
          If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to relinquish the
          listing so that another might have fun.

          --

          TANGOR

          Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
          The Official ERB FAQ is at
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
        • Rod H
          ... Ah, Bruce Bozarth! I m just going to offer my impressions. Regarding the Green Men of Mars, it has always been my impression that these fellows were less
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            Bruce Bozarth wrote:

            >
            > Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with
            > basic texts
            > regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a
            > penis is
            > required equipment between males and females in a
            > monotreme-like
            > species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved
            > viable).

            Ah, Bruce Bozarth!

            I'm just going to offer my impressions.

            Regarding the Green Men of Mars, it has always been my
            impression that these fellows were less sexual than
            humans. Far less sexual. For the most part, Green Man
            history and descriptions can be found in "Princess".
            Afterward, they were little more than decoration for the
            most of the Martian Series.

            The Green Men have been described as "virtuous" at the end
            of Chapter 12 of "Princess". The entire quote is very
            interesting for several reasons, beyond the statement that
            Green Men/Women are chaste.

            "It is true that the green Martians are absolutely virtuous,
            both men and women, with the exception of such degenerates
            as Tal Hajus; but better far a finer balance of human
            characteristics even at the expense of a slight and
            occasional loss of chastity."

            Of course, nothing in this passage points to whether if a
            green Martian has a prominent penis, or if their women had
            equally impressive vaginas. What it does say is that green
            Men are not interested in sex. Nor are the women.

            In fact, the women are considered as simply part of a
            military camp. Perhaps not more than possessions, as
            horses were to the Comanche. Additionally, women were
            greatly valued as breeding machines, and, as further
            evidence of their lack of hot sexuality, the green Martians
            bred more in the purpose for producing superior offspring,
            than they did for any other reason.

            As a side note of interest, this Tal Hajus fellow seems
            somewhat of a throwback to the days when the green Men were
            different. He was not only cruel and ferocious as all
            'modern' green Martians are, he was also "a slave to that
            brute passions which the waning demands for procreation upon
            their dying planet has almost stilled in the Martian
            breast". I assume ERB refers to the green Martians here.

            None of this helps us decide whether a green Martian man has
            a outside, prominent penis or not. It does help us
            understand that they are not a sexually passionate race.
            Death by torture might be a problem, but death by rape would
            not be under ordinary circumstances.

            I think that penises come in a variety of sizes, shapes,
            inner and outer, hooded or exposed. I don't care what kind
            of male sexual organ green Martian men have. Its just that
            for some reason I have always had the image of some green
            frog like creature that had once been more amphibian than
            mammalian (and we know they are not mammals). I don't know
            what kind of male sexual organs the green Martian men have,
            nor am I likely to ever know because ERB was not the kind of
            author to elaborate on those issues. Except for my viewing
            the photo on the internet that started this conjecture, I
            probably wouldn't have thought about it.

            More interesting is your point that Carter impregnated
            Dejah, and Dejah is an egg laying creature just as the green
            Martians are. Obviously, Carter has a penis, presumably a
            normal one by Earth human standards. Obviously, he
            fertilized Dejah at least two times. Obviously Dejah laid a
            fertilized egg which grew in size until it hatched, etc.
            etc. What we do know is that Carter injected his semen
            into his wife and started the fertilization process. Or we
            assume this, since, as mentioned before, ERB would never
            elaborate on such an issue.

            We don't know what size the injection apparatus needed to be
            to fertilize a red Martian woman. We assume it is
            something similar to standard Earth man equipment.
            Frankly, I think this might be a fanciful assumption
            considering the fact that red Martians are quite different
            from us, except for the literary plot mechanism that Carter
            produced offspring on Dejah, and it might be that he had
            some help in this fertilization by scientific or esoteric
            means. That is something ERB 'might' not elaborate on. ;
            )

            Point being, we can make assumptions, which are not much
            more than opinions in most cases. I prefer to think of the
            green Martians as sleek skinned like a frog or snake, and if
            they have penises (or appropriate apparatus) then they are
            enveloped in some fleshy pocket. Why, because it seems an
            image more appropriate with their emotional and mental
            attributes of chastity.



            >
            >
            > > Rod/ex-Nu
            >
            > Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB
            > Persona Directory.
            > If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to
            > relinquish the
            > listing so that another might have fun.
            >

            Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
            the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
            months??) then they were automatically removed from the
            persona directory. I called myself ex-Nu because I assumed
            that had been done. I have not been active on the ERB
            mailing lists for a long time because my time is limited. I
            haven't checked the Persona Directory in quite a long time,
            so I don't know, categorically, that I am no longer "Nu".

            Of course, I prefer to be "Nu". There has never been any
            question in that matter.

            Although I haven't been active on any ERB lists (for
            several personal reasons), I have not lost my interest in
            ERB. I continue to reread Tarzan books (several a year) and
            make notes on the ape-man. Recently, I read all but one of
            the Pellucidar books before getting bored with the last
            one. Not too recently, I tried to read the Venus series
            and stopped after #2 because of boredom.

            Again, I am a bit interested in Carter and Barsoom. Hence
            my subscription to this list. ERB's two best works have
            always been Tarzan (first) and Barsoom (second), with the
            possible exception of an Eternal Savage.



            Rod
          • Bruce Bozarth
            ... Rod/Ex-Nu, consider it done. Appreciate the heads up regarding your continuing interest in ERB and understandable lack of interest in participating on the
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 30, 2001
            • 0 Attachment
              Rod H wrote:
              > Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
              > the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
              > months??) then they were automatically removed from the
              > persona directory.

              Rod/Ex-Nu, consider it done. Appreciate the heads up regarding your
              continuing interest in ERB and understandable lack of interest in
              participating on the ERB lists.

              --

              TANGOR

              Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
              http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
              The Official ERB FAQ is at
              http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.