Re: [barsoom] egg-laying mammals

  • Ghak
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2005
      At 02:55 PM 1/27/2005 -0500, Leathem Mehaffey wrote:
      > Anyway, weren't the green martian eggs about 2 feet in diameter at
      >hatching rather than at laying??

      From PRINCESS:
      "The roof of the enclosure was of solid glass about four or five
      inches in thickness, and beneath this were several hundred large
      eggs, perfectly round and snowy white. The eggs were nearly uniform
      in size being about two and one-half feet in diameter."

      These are the eggs that are hatching when Carter arrives on Barsoom. Later
      is the following passage:
      "As a matter of fact, the new-laid egg is but little larger than
      an ordinary goose egg, and as it does not commence to grow until
      subjected to the light of the sun the chieftains have little
      difficulty in transporting several hundreds of them at one time
      from the storage vaults to the incubators."

      Ghak
    • Rick Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2005
        Which is why we know that the eggs grow over the five years in the incubator.
        Now we only need to figure out how they grow and where they get the nutrition to increase their mass.

        *****
        Rick Johnson
        PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
        http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge or geocities.com/RikJohnson69

        Please note: message attached

      • Seth K. Deitch
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@j...> wrote:
          > Which is why we know that the eggs grow over the five years in the
          incubator.
          > Now we only need to figure out how they grow and where they get the
          nutrition to increase their mass.

          Perhaps they put down roots.:)
          -Seth Kallen Deitch