Re: THARK! Stop Motion Animatronics

  • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 9, 2001
      Hi Jonathan,

      I've seen that stop motion puppet before. As I recall it was from
      England and when I saw it in a modelling book it was showing off the
      custom made glass eyes.

      I have a funny feeling that if we ever see Princess of Mars it will
      be due to a dedicated fan and a lot of hours to make a picture
      whether it be animalted, stop-motion, live action or all three.

      If it ever gets done it will have to be underground due to copyrights.

      Just my Morbid Thoughts,
      Keith
    • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 9, 2001
        --- In barsoom@y..., keithvaughn@g... wrote:
        > Hi Jonathan,
        >
        > I've seen that stop motion puppet before. As I recall it was from
        > England and when I saw it in a modelling book it was showing off
        > the custom made glass eyes.

        I think it's a good first try, but not really a Thark. The lower
        arms are just that: arms. Not arm/leg combo limbs. Why does a
        critter hatched from an egg have a navel? And nipples?! I suspect
        that even female Greens don't have nipples. But the head is good.

        > I have a funny feeling that if we ever see Princess of Mars it will
        > be due to a dedicated fan and a lot of hours to make a picture
        > whether it be animalted, stop-motion, live action or all three.

        I agree. At least, if it is made true to the sourse materiel, it
        will be due to a dedicated fan or group of fans. Fans who don't feel
        it nessesary to "improve" the story by making JC a complete loser, or
        DT a slutty seductress (I've nothing against slutty seductresses, but
        that isn't her).

        > If it ever gets done it will have to be underground due to
        > copyrights.

        I don't know. ERB, Inc. seems willing to licence. But for the
        resons already given, it will almost have to be an independant film.

        > Just my Morbid Thoughts,
        > Keith
      • Steve Wadding
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 9, 2001
          At 02:38 AM 7/10/01 +0000, xenophile2002@... wrote:
          >I think it's a good first try, but not really a Thark. The lower
          >arms are just that: arms. Not arm/leg combo limbs. Why does a
          >critter hatched from an egg have a navel? And nipples?! I suspect
          >that even female Greens don't have nipples. But the head is good.

          I believe that a connection to a yoke sack could result in a navel, even if
          it doesn't in Jasoomian biology. Nipples, well, why would female Reds even
          have mammary glands at all?

          Ghak
        • Bruce Bozarth
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 10, 2001
            Steve Wadding wrote:
            > it doesn't in Jasoomian biology. Nipples, well, why would female Reds even
            > have mammary glands at all?

            Whether functional in the sense of terrestrial female humans, mammary
            pads would be necessary to support the variously described jeweled
            breast-plates, etc. :)

            Besides, monotremes do nurse their young.

            --

            TANGOR

            Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
            http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
            The Official ERB FAQ is at
            http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
          • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 10, 2001
              --- In barsoom@y..., Steve Wadding <wadding@e...> wrote:
              > At 02:38 AM 7/10/01 +0000, xenophile2002@y... wrote:
              > >I think it's a good first try, but not really a Thark. The lower
              > >arms are just that: arms. Not arm/leg combo limbs. Why does a
              > >critter hatched from an egg have a navel? And nipples?! I suspect
              > >that even female Greens don't have nipples. But the head is good.

              > I believe that a connection to a yoke sack could result in a navel,
              > even if it doesn't in Jasoomian biology.

              I suppose so. I rather like the thought of navel-less Reds and
              Therns and such; it gives them a slight alien look. Of course,
              Greens look alien enough already! But if Reds don't have navels,
              then it's hard to justify for Greens. In any case, I wouldn't
              boycott a Barsoom movie over navels, Human or Green.

              > Nipples, well, why would female Reds even have mammary glands at
              > all?

              The various humanoids don't fit with the rest of Barsoom's life.
              Anyway, Tara of Helium has breasts, and nothing is said about them
              being "funny looking" or "weird."

              > Ghak

              Kaldanes, now... ;)
            • Steve Wadding
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 11, 2001
                At 06:06 AM 7/11/01 +0000, xenophile2002@... wrote:
                > > Ghak
                >
                >Kaldanes, now... ;)

                Well, I'm Ghak, not Ghek. I know Ghak the Hairy One is from Pellucidar,
                not Barsoom, but it's my persona on the general purpose ERB lists, so I was
                using it here, too.

                Ghak the Hairy One, King of Sari, Uncle to the Empress of Pellucidar
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 11, 2001
                  In a message dated 11/07/2001 14:44:04, wadding@... writes:

                  << I know Ghak the Hairy One is from Pellucidar, not Barsoom, but it's my
                  persona on the general purpose ERB lists, so I was using it here, too. >>

                  Well, why not? Archimedes Q. Porter isn't Barsoomian either, but I use it on
                  all the lists (except Kregen of course).

                  AQPorter
                • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 11, 2001
                    --- In barsoom@y..., Steve Wadding <wadding@e...> wrote:
                    > At 06:06 AM 7/11/01 +0000, xenophile2002@y... wrote:
                    > > > Ghak
                    > >
                    > >Kaldanes, now... ;)
                    >
                    > Well, I'm Ghak, not Ghek.

                    Ack! Ghak, I'm sorry.

                    > I know Ghak the Hairy One is from Pellucidar, not Barsoom, but it's
                    > my persona on the general purpose ERB lists, so I was using it
                    > here, too.
                    >
                    > Ghak the Hairy One, King of Sari, Uncle to the Empress of Pellucidar

                    Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.
                  • Bruce Bozarth
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 12, 2001
                      xenophile2002@... wrote:
                      > > Well, I'm Ghak, not Ghek.
                      >
                      > Ack! Ghak, I'm sorry.

                      The King of Sari is a wonderful fellow--and so is that Ghek guy (see
                      Dead Cities of Mars http://freeweb.pdq.net/tangor/fanfiction ) but
                      neither Ghak, Ghek, or all these fellow fans are stop motion--most of
                      the time we're all frenzied in our efforts to find new ERB!

                      > Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.

                      Please, as Picard might say--"DO NOT MAKE IT SO!"

                      The first Hollywoodish clambake was once enough.

                      If Pellucidar anything is ever done again I want an Anime or Flat Earth
                      production. The former is cartoon animation, the latter is CGI
                      animation. Production values should be at least as ugly as the three
                      part RED PLANET anime of Heinlein's Red Planet or that found in the
                      short lived cgi-based series STARSHIP TROOPERS CHRONICLES. I don't
                      recall at the moment (too late at night and brain fuzzy) who did
                      Transformers/Beast Wars or the more recent Max Steele series, though
                      these CGI production values were/are above average and can certainly
                      give us great gorillaziods and beautimous heroes and heroines.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 12, 2001
                        At 06:07 AM 7/12/01 +0000, xenophile2002@... wrote:
                        >Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.

                        Caroline Munro is the only real reason to watch that movie.
                        Ghak
                      • Jonathan Nixon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 12, 2001
                          You got that right!

                          ...and completely off topic...

                          Did you ever see "Starcrash" with Caroline Munro and
                          David Hasselhoff?

                          Now there was a bad... bad... bad... movie.

                          - Jon

                          --- Steve Wadding <wadding@...> wrote:
                          > At 06:07 AM 7/12/01 +0000, xenophile2002@...
                          > wrote:
                          > >Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.
                          >
                          > Caroline Munro is the only real reason to watch that
                          > movie.
                          > Ghak

                          =====

                          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                        • Rod H
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 1 11:26 AM
                            I just went to
                            http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5236/thark.html and saw that
                            Thark model.

                            Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
                            lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
                            seems sooooo out of place on one.

                            Makes him appear Greek like.

                            Had to poke my head (no pun intended) out of lurking for
                            this comment.

                            Rod/ex-Nu
                          • Bruce Bozarth
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 1 10:16 PM
                              Rod H wrote:
                              > Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
                              > lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
                              > seems sooooo out of place on one.

                              Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with basic texts
                              regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a penis is
                              required equipment between males and females in a monotreme-like
                              species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved viable).

                              > Rod/ex-Nu

                              Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB Persona Directory.
                              If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to relinquish the
                              listing so that another might have fun.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 2 9:28 AM
                                Bruce Bozarth wrote:

                                > Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with
                                > basic texts
                                > regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a
                                > penis is
                                > required equipment between males and females in a
                                > monotreme-like
                                > species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved
                                > viable).

                                Ah, Bruce Bozarth!

                                I'm just going to offer my impressions.

                                Regarding the Green Men of Mars, it has always been my
                                impression that these fellows were less sexual than
                                humans. Far less sexual. For the most part, Green Man
                                history and descriptions can be found in "Princess".
                                Afterward, they were little more than decoration for the
                                most of the Martian Series.

                                The Green Men have been described as "virtuous" at the end
                                of Chapter 12 of "Princess". The entire quote is very
                                interesting for several reasons, beyond the statement that
                                Green Men/Women are chaste.

                                "It is true that the green Martians are absolutely virtuous,
                                both men and women, with the exception of such degenerates
                                as Tal Hajus; but better far a finer balance of human
                                characteristics even at the expense of a slight and
                                occasional loss of chastity."

                                Of course, nothing in this passage points to whether if a
                                green Martian has a prominent penis, or if their women had
                                equally impressive vaginas. What it does say is that green
                                Men are not interested in sex. Nor are the women.

                                In fact, the women are considered as simply part of a
                                military camp. Perhaps not more than possessions, as
                                horses were to the Comanche. Additionally, women were
                                greatly valued as breeding machines, and, as further
                                evidence of their lack of hot sexuality, the green Martians
                                bred more in the purpose for producing superior offspring,
                                than they did for any other reason.

                                As a side note of interest, this Tal Hajus fellow seems
                                somewhat of a throwback to the days when the green Men were
                                different. He was not only cruel and ferocious as all
                                'modern' green Martians are, he was also "a slave to that
                                brute passions which the waning demands for procreation upon
                                their dying planet has almost stilled in the Martian
                                breast". I assume ERB refers to the green Martians here.

                                None of this helps us decide whether a green Martian man has
                                a outside, prominent penis or not. It does help us
                                understand that they are not a sexually passionate race.
                                Death by torture might be a problem, but death by rape would
                                not be under ordinary circumstances.

                                I think that penises come in a variety of sizes, shapes,
                                inner and outer, hooded or exposed. I don't care what kind
                                of male sexual organ green Martian men have. Its just that
                                for some reason I have always had the image of some green
                                frog like creature that had once been more amphibian than
                                mammalian (and we know they are not mammals). I don't know
                                what kind of male sexual organs the green Martian men have,
                                nor am I likely to ever know because ERB was not the kind of
                                author to elaborate on those issues. Except for my viewing
                                the photo on the internet that started this conjecture, I
                                probably wouldn't have thought about it.

                                More interesting is your point that Carter impregnated
                                Dejah, and Dejah is an egg laying creature just as the green
                                Martians are. Obviously, Carter has a penis, presumably a
                                normal one by Earth human standards. Obviously, he
                                fertilized Dejah at least two times. Obviously Dejah laid a
                                fertilized egg which grew in size until it hatched, etc.
                                etc. What we do know is that Carter injected his semen
                                into his wife and started the fertilization process. Or we
                                assume this, since, as mentioned before, ERB would never
                                elaborate on such an issue.

                                We don't know what size the injection apparatus needed to be
                                to fertilize a red Martian woman. We assume it is
                                something similar to standard Earth man equipment.
                                Frankly, I think this might be a fanciful assumption
                                considering the fact that red Martians are quite different
                                from us, except for the literary plot mechanism that Carter
                                produced offspring on Dejah, and it might be that he had
                                some help in this fertilization by scientific or esoteric
                                means. That is something ERB 'might' not elaborate on. ;
                                )

                                Point being, we can make assumptions, which are not much
                                more than opinions in most cases. I prefer to think of the
                                green Martians as sleek skinned like a frog or snake, and if
                                they have penises (or appropriate apparatus) then they are
                                enveloped in some fleshy pocket. Why, because it seems an
                                image more appropriate with their emotional and mental
                                attributes of chastity.

                                > > Rod/ex-Nu
                                >
                                > Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB
                                > Persona Directory.
                                > If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to
                                > relinquish the
                                > listing so that another might have fun.

                                Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
                                the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
                                months??) then they were automatically removed from the
                                persona directory. I called myself ex-Nu because I assumed
                                that had been done. I have not been active on the ERB
                                mailing lists for a long time because my time is limited. I
                                haven't checked the Persona Directory in quite a long time,
                                so I don't know, categorically, that I am no longer "Nu".

                                Of course, I prefer to be "Nu". There has never been any
                                question in that matter.

                                Although I haven't been active on any ERB lists (for
                                several personal reasons), I have not lost my interest in
                                ERB. I continue to reread Tarzan books (several a year) and
                                make notes on the ape-man. Recently, I read all but one of
                                the Pellucidar books before getting bored with the last
                                one. Not too recently, I tried to read the Venus series
                                and stopped after #2 because of boredom.

                                Again, I am a bit interested in Carter and Barsoom. Hence
                                my subscription to this list. ERB's two best works have
                                always been Tarzan (first) and Barsoom (second), with the
                                possible exception of an Eternal Savage.

                                Rod
                              • Bruce Bozarth
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 30 12:32 AM
                                  Rod H wrote:
                                  > Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
                                  > the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
                                  > months??) then they were automatically removed from the
                                  > persona directory.

                                  Rod/Ex-Nu, consider it done. Appreciate the heads up regarding your
                                  continuing interest in ERB and understandable lack of interest in
                                  participating on the ERB lists.