THARK! Who goes there?

  • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 7 10:03 PM
      I've posted a Thark at alt.binaries.pictures.fantasy-sci-fi

      You've likely seen it before, but I figured it was time that there
      was a July post here. So, what do you think? Did they get it right?

      WARNING: Pic contains male nudity.
    • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 8 2:12 PM
        HI Xeno,

        The web address didn't work so I used a search for
        alt.binaries.pictures and came up with a list of adult web sites
        (pornography). Are you sure this is where you posted this picture or
        is the web address wrong? I've posted a miniature green with full
        male nudity in the files section and had no problem. You should just
        put it into the files section and post a notice.

        All for Now,
        Keith

        --- In barsoom@y..., xenophile2002@y... wrote:
        > I've posted a Thark at alt.binaries.pictures.fantasy-sci-fi
        >
        > You've likely seen it before, but I figured it was time that there
        > was a July post here. So, what do you think? Did they get it
        right?

        > WARNING: Pic contains male nudity.
      • Jonathan Nixon
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 9 1:06 AM
          Its not a web address, its a news group. Theres a few
          copies of it on the web, eg. here...
          http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5236/thark.html

          Yes I've seen this picture before. I first came across
          it in a book of airbrush techniques, and being a
          Barsoom fan it gave me quite a thrill and had me
          thinking the best film ever was about to be
          released... so I waited... and waited... and
          waited.... :-(

          I think its pretty impressive. A few thousand of them
          battling across the screen would be good news.

          - Jon

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 9 1:19 AM
            --- In barsoom@y..., keithvaughn@g... wrote:
            > HI Xeno,

            Hi.

            > The web address didn't work so I used a search for
            > alt.binaries.pictures and came up with a list of adult web sites

            As already pointed out (thanks, Jonathan Nixon) this is a newsgroup,
            not a website. Many of these "alt.binaries.pictures.*" groups
            contain porn, but most which do contain the word "erotica". As
            in "alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.disney", for all those wonderful
            nudie pic of the little mermaid. No, I'm not making that up. This
            NG is for fantasy and science fiction pictures,however, and so should
            have no porn (I included the nudity caution).

            > (pornography). Are you sure this is where you posted this picture
            > or is the web address wrong? I've posted a miniature green with
            > full male nudity in the files section and had no problem. You
            > should just put it into the files section and post a notice.

            The files section! Forgot all about that. 0_o~

            > All for Now,
            > Keith

            Let me look in the files section, and if it is different that the one
            you posted, I'll put it there.

            Xenophile (who must not be getting enough sleep)
          • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 9 6:41 AM
              HI Xeno,

              We're both not getting enough sleep. My barsoom figure is in the
              files section of the Barsoom Gaming board. Sorry for the
              misdirection.

              Keith
            • keithvaughn@gbonline.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 9 2:09 PM
                Hi Jonathan,

                I've seen that stop motion puppet before. As I recall it was from
                England and when I saw it in a modelling book it was showing off the
                custom made glass eyes.

                I have a funny feeling that if we ever see Princess of Mars it will
                be due to a dedicated fan and a lot of hours to make a picture
                whether it be animalted, stop-motion, live action or all three.

                If it ever gets done it will have to be underground due to copyrights.

                Just my Morbid Thoughts,
                Keith
              • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 9 7:38 PM
                  --- In barsoom@y..., keithvaughn@g... wrote:
                  > Hi Jonathan,
                  >
                  > I've seen that stop motion puppet before. As I recall it was from
                  > England and when I saw it in a modelling book it was showing off
                  > the custom made glass eyes.

                  I think it's a good first try, but not really a Thark. The lower
                  arms are just that: arms. Not arm/leg combo limbs. Why does a
                  critter hatched from an egg have a navel? And nipples?! I suspect
                  that even female Greens don't have nipples. But the head is good.

                  > I have a funny feeling that if we ever see Princess of Mars it will
                  > be due to a dedicated fan and a lot of hours to make a picture
                  > whether it be animalted, stop-motion, live action or all three.

                  I agree. At least, if it is made true to the sourse materiel, it
                  will be due to a dedicated fan or group of fans. Fans who don't feel
                  it nessesary to "improve" the story by making JC a complete loser, or
                  DT a slutty seductress (I've nothing against slutty seductresses, but
                  that isn't her).

                  > If it ever gets done it will have to be underground due to
                  > copyrights.

                  I don't know. ERB, Inc. seems willing to licence. But for the
                  resons already given, it will almost have to be an independant film.

                  > Just my Morbid Thoughts,
                  > Keith
                • Steve Wadding
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 9 8:28 PM
                    At 02:38 AM 7/10/01 +0000, xenophile2002@... wrote:
                    >I think it's a good first try, but not really a Thark. The lower
                    >arms are just that: arms. Not arm/leg combo limbs. Why does a
                    >critter hatched from an egg have a navel? And nipples?! I suspect
                    >that even female Greens don't have nipples. But the head is good.

                    I believe that a connection to a yoke sack could result in a navel, even if
                    it doesn't in Jasoomian biology. Nipples, well, why would female Reds even
                    have mammary glands at all?

                    Ghak
                  • Bruce Bozarth
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 10 9:26 PM
                      Steve Wadding wrote:
                      > it doesn't in Jasoomian biology. Nipples, well, why would female Reds even
                      > have mammary glands at all?

                      Whether functional in the sense of terrestrial female humans, mammary
                      pads would be necessary to support the variously described jeweled
                      breast-plates, etc. :)

                      Besides, monotremes do nurse their young.

                      --

                      TANGOR

                      Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
                      http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
                      The Official ERB FAQ is at
                      http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
                    • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 10 11:06 PM
                        --- In barsoom@y..., Steve Wadding <wadding@e...> wrote:
                        > At 02:38 AM 7/10/01 +0000, xenophile2002@y... wrote:
                        > >I think it's a good first try, but not really a Thark. The lower
                        > >arms are just that: arms. Not arm/leg combo limbs. Why does a
                        > >critter hatched from an egg have a navel? And nipples?! I suspect
                        > >that even female Greens don't have nipples. But the head is good.

                        > I believe that a connection to a yoke sack could result in a navel,
                        > even if it doesn't in Jasoomian biology.

                        I suppose so. I rather like the thought of navel-less Reds and
                        Therns and such; it gives them a slight alien look. Of course,
                        Greens look alien enough already! But if Reds don't have navels,
                        then it's hard to justify for Greens. In any case, I wouldn't
                        boycott a Barsoom movie over navels, Human or Green.

                        > Nipples, well, why would female Reds even have mammary glands at
                        > all?

                        The various humanoids don't fit with the rest of Barsoom's life.
                        Anyway, Tara of Helium has breasts, and nothing is said about them
                        being "funny looking" or "weird."

                        > Ghak

                        Kaldanes, now... ;)
                      • Steve Wadding
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 11 5:40 AM
                          At 06:06 AM 7/11/01 +0000, xenophile2002@... wrote:
                          > > Ghak
                          >
                          >Kaldanes, now... ;)

                          Well, I'm Ghak, not Ghek. I know Ghak the Hairy One is from Pellucidar,
                          not Barsoom, but it's my persona on the general purpose ERB lists, so I was
                          using it here, too.

                          Ghak the Hairy One, King of Sari, Uncle to the Empress of Pellucidar
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 11 8:32 PM
                            In a message dated 11/07/2001 14:44:04, wadding@... writes:

                            << I know Ghak the Hairy One is from Pellucidar, not Barsoom, but it's my
                            persona on the general purpose ERB lists, so I was using it here, too. >>

                            Well, why not? Archimedes Q. Porter isn't Barsoomian either, but I use it on
                            all the lists (except Kregen of course).

                            AQPorter
                          • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 11 11:07 PM
                              --- In barsoom@y..., Steve Wadding <wadding@e...> wrote:
                              > At 06:06 AM 7/11/01 +0000, xenophile2002@y... wrote:
                              > > > Ghak
                              > >
                              > >Kaldanes, now... ;)
                              >
                              > Well, I'm Ghak, not Ghek.

                              Ack! Ghak, I'm sorry.

                              > I know Ghak the Hairy One is from Pellucidar, not Barsoom, but it's
                              > my persona on the general purpose ERB lists, so I was using it
                              > here, too.
                              >
                              > Ghak the Hairy One, King of Sari, Uncle to the Empress of Pellucidar

                              Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.
                            • Bruce Bozarth
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 12 12:12 AM
                                xenophile2002@... wrote:
                                > > Well, I'm Ghak, not Ghek.
                                >
                                > Ack! Ghak, I'm sorry.

                                The King of Sari is a wonderful fellow--and so is that Ghek guy (see
                                Dead Cities of Mars http://freeweb.pdq.net/tangor/fanfiction ) but
                                neither Ghak, Ghek, or all these fellow fans are stop motion--most of
                                the time we're all frenzied in our efforts to find new ERB!

                                > Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.

                                Please, as Picard might say--"DO NOT MAKE IT SO!"

                                The first Hollywoodish clambake was once enough.

                                If Pellucidar anything is ever done again I want an Anime or Flat Earth
                                production. The former is cartoon animation, the latter is CGI
                                animation. Production values should be at least as ugly as the three
                                part RED PLANET anime of Heinlein's Red Planet or that found in the
                                short lived cgi-based series STARSHIP TROOPERS CHRONICLES. I don't
                                recall at the moment (too late at night and brain fuzzy) who did
                                Transformers/Beast Wars or the more recent Max Steele series, though
                                these CGI production values were/are above average and can certainly
                                give us great gorillaziods and beautimous heroes and heroines.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 12 4:49 AM
                                  At 06:07 AM 7/12/01 +0000, xenophile2002@... wrote:
                                  >Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.

                                  Caroline Munro is the only real reason to watch that movie.
                                  Ghak
                                • Jonathan Nixon
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 12 7:45 AM
                                    You got that right!

                                    ...and completely off topic...

                                    Did you ever see "Starcrash" with Caroline Munro and
                                    David Hasselhoff?

                                    Now there was a bad... bad... bad... movie.

                                    - Jon

                                    --- Steve Wadding <wadding@...> wrote:
                                    > At 06:07 AM 7/12/01 +0000, xenophile2002@...
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >Maybe it's time to re-make _At The Earth's Core_.
                                    >
                                    > Caroline Munro is the only real reason to watch that
                                    > movie.
                                    > Ghak

                                    =====

                                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                                  • Rod H
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 1, 2001
                                      I just went to
                                      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5236/thark.html and saw that
                                      Thark model.

                                      Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
                                      lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
                                      seems sooooo out of place on one.

                                      Makes him appear Greek like.

                                      Had to poke my head (no pun intended) out of lurking for
                                      this comment.

                                      Rod/ex-Nu
                                    • Bruce Bozarth
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 1, 2001
                                        Rod H wrote:
                                        > Funny, I always thought of Tharks as sort of plant like or
                                        > lizardlike/reptillian, certainly not mammalian. A penis
                                        > seems sooooo out of place on one.

                                        Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with basic texts
                                        regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a penis is
                                        required equipment between males and females in a monotreme-like
                                        species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved viable).

                                        > Rod/ex-Nu

                                        Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB Persona Directory.
                                        If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to relinquish the
                                        listing so that another might have fun.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 2, 2001
                                          Bruce Bozarth wrote:

                                          > Agree image is startling, yet does seem to coincide with
                                          > basic texts
                                          > regarding green Martian desire for red women (assuming a
                                          > penis is
                                          > required equipment between males and females in a
                                          > monotreme-like
                                          > species--as is apparent in that JC and Dejah Thoris proved
                                          > viable).

                                          Ah, Bruce Bozarth!

                                          I'm just going to offer my impressions.

                                          Regarding the Green Men of Mars, it has always been my
                                          impression that these fellows were less sexual than
                                          humans. Far less sexual. For the most part, Green Man
                                          history and descriptions can be found in "Princess".
                                          Afterward, they were little more than decoration for the
                                          most of the Martian Series.

                                          The Green Men have been described as "virtuous" at the end
                                          of Chapter 12 of "Princess". The entire quote is very
                                          interesting for several reasons, beyond the statement that
                                          Green Men/Women are chaste.

                                          "It is true that the green Martians are absolutely virtuous,
                                          both men and women, with the exception of such degenerates
                                          as Tal Hajus; but better far a finer balance of human
                                          characteristics even at the expense of a slight and
                                          occasional loss of chastity."

                                          Of course, nothing in this passage points to whether if a
                                          green Martian has a prominent penis, or if their women had
                                          equally impressive vaginas. What it does say is that green
                                          Men are not interested in sex. Nor are the women.

                                          In fact, the women are considered as simply part of a
                                          military camp. Perhaps not more than possessions, as
                                          horses were to the Comanche. Additionally, women were
                                          greatly valued as breeding machines, and, as further
                                          evidence of their lack of hot sexuality, the green Martians
                                          bred more in the purpose for producing superior offspring,
                                          than they did for any other reason.

                                          As a side note of interest, this Tal Hajus fellow seems
                                          somewhat of a throwback to the days when the green Men were
                                          different. He was not only cruel and ferocious as all
                                          'modern' green Martians are, he was also "a slave to that
                                          brute passions which the waning demands for procreation upon
                                          their dying planet has almost stilled in the Martian
                                          breast". I assume ERB refers to the green Martians here.

                                          None of this helps us decide whether a green Martian man has
                                          a outside, prominent penis or not. It does help us
                                          understand that they are not a sexually passionate race.
                                          Death by torture might be a problem, but death by rape would
                                          not be under ordinary circumstances.

                                          I think that penises come in a variety of sizes, shapes,
                                          inner and outer, hooded or exposed. I don't care what kind
                                          of male sexual organ green Martian men have. Its just that
                                          for some reason I have always had the image of some green
                                          frog like creature that had once been more amphibian than
                                          mammalian (and we know they are not mammals). I don't know
                                          what kind of male sexual organs the green Martian men have,
                                          nor am I likely to ever know because ERB was not the kind of
                                          author to elaborate on those issues. Except for my viewing
                                          the photo on the internet that started this conjecture, I
                                          probably wouldn't have thought about it.

                                          More interesting is your point that Carter impregnated
                                          Dejah, and Dejah is an egg laying creature just as the green
                                          Martians are. Obviously, Carter has a penis, presumably a
                                          normal one by Earth human standards. Obviously, he
                                          fertilized Dejah at least two times. Obviously Dejah laid a
                                          fertilized egg which grew in size until it hatched, etc.
                                          etc. What we do know is that Carter injected his semen
                                          into his wife and started the fertilization process. Or we
                                          assume this, since, as mentioned before, ERB would never
                                          elaborate on such an issue.

                                          We don't know what size the injection apparatus needed to be
                                          to fertilize a red Martian woman. We assume it is
                                          something similar to standard Earth man equipment.
                                          Frankly, I think this might be a fanciful assumption
                                          considering the fact that red Martians are quite different
                                          from us, except for the literary plot mechanism that Carter
                                          produced offspring on Dejah, and it might be that he had
                                          some help in this fertilization by scientific or esoteric
                                          means. That is something ERB 'might' not elaborate on. ;
                                          )

                                          Point being, we can make assumptions, which are not much
                                          more than opinions in most cases. I prefer to think of the
                                          green Martians as sleek skinned like a frog or snake, and if
                                          they have penises (or appropriate apparatus) then they are
                                          enveloped in some fleshy pocket. Why, because it seems an
                                          image more appropriate with their emotional and mental
                                          attributes of chastity.

                                          > > Rod/ex-Nu
                                          >
                                          > Ex-NU? Only asking as to a possible update to the ERB
                                          > Persona Directory.
                                          > If you are no longer NU then it would be gracious to
                                          > relinquish the
                                          > listing so that another might have fun.

                                          Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
                                          the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
                                          months??) then they were automatically removed from the
                                          persona directory. I called myself ex-Nu because I assumed
                                          that had been done. I have not been active on the ERB
                                          mailing lists for a long time because my time is limited. I
                                          haven't checked the Persona Directory in quite a long time,
                                          so I don't know, categorically, that I am no longer "Nu".

                                          Of course, I prefer to be "Nu". There has never been any
                                          question in that matter.

                                          Although I haven't been active on any ERB lists (for
                                          several personal reasons), I have not lost my interest in
                                          ERB. I continue to reread Tarzan books (several a year) and
                                          make notes on the ape-man. Recently, I read all but one of
                                          the Pellucidar books before getting bored with the last
                                          one. Not too recently, I tried to read the Venus series
                                          and stopped after #2 because of boredom.

                                          Again, I am a bit interested in Carter and Barsoom. Hence
                                          my subscription to this list. ERB's two best works have
                                          always been Tarzan (first) and Barsoom (second), with the
                                          possible exception of an Eternal Savage.

                                          Rod
                                        • Bruce Bozarth
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 30, 2001
                                            Rod H wrote:
                                            > Bruce/Tangor, I thought that if a person were not active on
                                            > the "ERB" lists for an established period of time (3-6
                                            > months??) then they were automatically removed from the
                                            > persona directory.

                                            Rod/Ex-Nu, consider it done. Appreciate the heads up regarding your
                                            continuing interest in ERB and understandable lack of interest in
                                            participating on the ERB lists.