RE: [barsoom] 'Princess' as a TV series/ and Dune review

  • dotenj@cadvision.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2001
      > One of my other favourite books is Frank Herbert's Dune... but I hated
      > the movie. I always assumed that once a film opportunity like this had
      > been wasted it was gone for ever... but now I hear that they made a TV
      > mini-series of Dune.
      >
      > Living in Holland I probably won't get to see it for a while. Was it
      > any good? Did they drop all the "weirding module" and "killing word"
      > garbage that they put in the film? Did they put the prescience stuff
      > back (which I thought was the whole point of the book).

      I've seen theDUNE miniseries. It has admireable qualities and some real glitches. By the time Duke Leto comes on screen, my wife and I realized they wouldn't introduce this character, he'd just be there. And yup, no one say's " Duke Leto, I've just returned from washing all the worms and they've melted " They just start talking. My wife says" Okay, who's this ?..."

      When Dr. Yueh 'brings down house Atriedes' I didn't even recognize the character he'd had so little screen time up till then. I really enjoyed the first viewing, it was later it seemed a little shakey.

      The sandworms are great. The flyers are okay. I like the artificial outdoor sets. And the sieches were very well done. Fights were very good and the director can really handle quite and intense interaction. Chani was well cast as were many others. I really like the ' down to the dirt/street level feel of much of it. I really didn't like the 'exciting game action ' music during the end battle as the flyers zoom over sand worms in battle. Actually I didn't like the music at all.

      The miniseries was mixed back after all. It did show that David Lynch is a more talented film maker, and some of his choices I'd still back. I think the real DUNE is somewhere between the two, or the two plus a third look at it - Jeff's Dune review

      NOW ON TO BARSOOM !!!!

      > How does everyone think Barsoom would do as a mini-series? Or could
      > the format even be adapted to a regular series now that Hercules and
      > Xena have been so popular?
      >
      > - Jon

      I could see it. I still prefure a movie as I really don't care much TV. When I do watch TV I'm so often reminded why I don't. Yet Barsoom as a series could be cool. I'd vote for CGI set enhancment effects and fliers and such, but costumed Tharks so they're really present. As I've said elsewhere, I think Jim Henson's Creature Shop should do them - Jeff of Okar

      Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio
      http://www.jeffdoten.com