Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Hammer does Barsoom !

Expand Messages
  • dotenj@cadvision.com
    ... Good to meet ya. I m quite the Barsoom addict myself. GUESS WHAT !!!! They did announce it , I remember being all thrilled and horrified ( for the same
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      > Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 06:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Jonathan Nixon <jon_nixon@...>
      >
      > Hi -
      >
      > I'm new to the group. I've been a Barsoom fan for
      > thirty years and I've been waiting for the film for
      > most of that time.
      >
      > Thank goodness Hammer Films never got hold of the
      > rights while they were making those dreadful Doug
      > McClure movies in the 1970s. I had nightmares about
      > green painted actors with extra rubber arms.

      Good to meet ya. I'm quite the Barsoom addict myself. GUESS WHAT !!!! They did announce it , I remember being all thrilled and horrified ( for the same reason's as you ) at the time. I think I read it in Starlog.

      I know William Stout worked on prosthetic designs years ago. That version was going to cost 100 million then... I think those rubber arms would have been okay.

      I can't help imagining the writer or producer with Hammer or whatever lying in bed all excited having figured out 'how we can do it !' We can go to Africa to film and this'll be huge, we - "then real world budgets killing the whole thing. So they made Warlords 0f Atlantis instead. It did have characters from Mars... - Jeff of Okar

      Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio
      http://www.jeffdoten.com
    • Felipe
      hi all, I m a little late on this subject, but I just came across the sketches that were done for the proposed 1970s JCoM movie.It appears to have been an
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        hi all,
        I'm a little late on this subject, but I just came across the
        sketches that were done for the proposed 1970s JCoM movie.It appears
        to have been an amalgamation of various books.
        I didn't find any references to this website in the archives. It's
        interesting nevertheless.

        No offense to the artists(who didn't seem to know much about
        Barsoom), but I am also glad that the film was never made back then.

        http://www.design-concepts.co.uk/Mars/johncarterplaces.htm

        ciao
        Felipe



        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, dotenj@c... wrote:
        > > Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 06:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
        > > From: Jonathan Nixon <jon_nixon@y...>
        > > Hi -
        > > I'm new to the group. I've been a Barsoom fan for
        > > thirty years and I've been waiting for the film for
        > > most of that time.
        > > Thank goodness Hammer Films never got hold of the
        > > rights while they were making those dreadful Doug
        > > McClure movies in the 1970s. I had nightmares about
        > > green painted actors with extra rubber arms.
        >
        > Good to meet ya. I'm quite the Barsoom addict myself. GUESS
        WHAT !!!! They did announce it , I remember being all thrilled and
        horrified ( for the same reason's as you ) at the time. I think I
        read it in Starlog.
        > I know William Stout worked on prosthetic designs years ago. That
        version was going to cost 100 million then... I think those rubber
        arms would have been okay.
        > I can't help imagining the writer or producer with Hammer or
        whatever lying in bed all excited having figured out 'how we can do
        it !' We can go to Africa to film and this'll be huge, we - "then
        real world budgets killing the whole thing. So they made Warlords 0f
        Atlantis instead. It did have characters from Mars... - Jeff of Okar
        > Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio
      • Jeff Doten
        I m very relieved too. I remember hearing that Amicus ( who did the Land that Time Forgot ) announce they were doing Princess. At the time I wanted to see Ray
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          I'm very relieved too. I remember hearing that Amicus ( who did the Land
          that Time Forgot ) announce they were doing Princess. At the time I
          wanted to see Ray Harryhausen head up the effects, but I knew that they
          didn't the budget ( they never did ) so I waited in horrified
          anticiapation. I was curious about what had happened to the design work
          on the project. I'm pleased to finally see it. And like you, pleased it
          was never made... - Jeff of Okar


          On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 03:53 PM, Felipe wrote:

          > hi all,
          > I'm a little late on this subject, but I just came across the
          > sketches that were done for the proposed 1970s JCoM movie.It appears
          > to have been an amalgamation of various books.
          > I didn't find any references to this website in the archives. It's
          > interesting nevertheless.
          >
          > No offense to the artists(who didn't seem to know much about
          > Barsoom), but I am also glad that the film was never made back then.
          >
          > http://www.design-concepts.co.uk/Mars/johncarterplaces.htm
          >
          > ciao
          > Felipe
          >
          >
          >
          > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, dotenj@c... wrote:
          >>> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 06:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
          >>> From: Jonathan Nixon <jon_nixon@y...>
          >>> Hi -
          >>> I'm new to the group. I've been a Barsoom fan for
          >>> thirty years and I've been waiting for the film for
          >>> most of that time.
          >>> Thank goodness Hammer Films never got hold of the
          >>> rights while they were making those dreadful Doug
          >>> McClure movies in the 1970s. I had nightmares about
          >>> green painted actors with extra rubber arms.
          >>
          >> Good to meet ya. I'm quite the Barsoom addict myself. GUESS
          > WHAT !!!! They did announce it , I remember being all thrilled and
          > horrified ( for the same reason's as you ) at the time. I think I
          > read it in Starlog.
          >> I know William Stout worked on prosthetic designs years ago. That
          > version was going to cost 100 million then... I think those rubber
          > arms would have been okay.
          >> I can't help imagining the writer or producer with Hammer or
          > whatever lying in bed all excited having figured out 'how we can do
          > it !' We can go to Africa to film and this'll be huge, we - "then
          > real world budgets killing the whole thing. So they made Warlords 0f
          > Atlantis instead. It did have characters from Mars... - Jeff of Okar
          >> Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >
          >
          >
          Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
          http://www.jeffdoten.com
        • Charles Barnard
          ... Felipe, that was one fascinating link. Thanks for sharing. Like Jeff, I would have preferred that Ray Harryhausen handle effects on POM (especially in
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe" <felipem17@y...> wrote:
            > hi all,
            > I'm a little late on this subject, but I just came across the
            > sketches that were done for the proposed 1970s JCoM movie.

            Felipe, that was one fascinating link. Thanks for sharing. Like
            Jeff, I would have preferred that Ray Harryhausen handle effects on
            POM (especially in those years), as opposed to the Hammer-rubber-
            puppet schtick that was prevalent in The Land That Time Forgot et
            al. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked TLTTF. What was that? Did
            I just hear some members of the group groan?...;)

            The design of the green men in the sketches appear to be 'economized'
            so that actors in prosthetic makeup could be used. Very odd
            interpretation, and what is with the weird wire helmets?

            I must admit, I hated most of the production design for the interiors
            and exteriors. Does this remind anyone else of the Ray Bradbury
            Martian Chronicles miniseries? As I recall that was a late '70's
            show.

            -Charles
          • Jeff Doten
            I liked the Land that Time Forgot - hey true confession - I discovered ERB through the At the Earth s Core movie - it got me reading the books ! Go figure. I
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 22, 2003
            • 0 Attachment
              I liked the Land that Time Forgot - hey true confession - I discovered
              ERB through the At the Earth's Core movie - it got me reading the
              books ! Go figure. I also liked the People that Time Forgot - though
              I'm not sure why. It kind of looked an area not far from where I live...

              And those helmets ! - Not as a successful an innovation as the half
              masks for the Sagoths in Earth's Core ( Scottish Sagoths ? )

              And the production designs actually made me a little quesy. Touchy
              artists huh ? Yes the art does make me think of the Martian Chronicles,
              but that is cause of the technique, it's the same as the illustrations
              in a hard cover I have of that book. What is differant is that the
              Barsoom designs look very Roman ( plus other styles ) not really alien.
              The Martian Chronicles was very geometric. - Jeff of Okar

              On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 12:29 AM, Charles Barnard wrote:

              > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Felipe" <felipem17@y...> wrote:
              >> hi all,
              >> I'm a little late on this subject, but I just came across the
              >> sketches that were done for the proposed 1970s JCoM movie.
              >
              > Felipe, that was one fascinating link. Thanks for sharing. Like
              > Jeff, I would have preferred that Ray Harryhausen handle effects on
              > POM (especially in those years), as opposed to the Hammer-rubber-
              > puppet schtick that was prevalent in The Land That Time Forgot et
              > al. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked TLTTF. What was that? Did
              > I just hear some members of the group groan?...;)
              >
              > The design of the green men in the sketches appear to be 'economized'
              > so that actors in prosthetic makeup could be used. Very odd
              > interpretation, and what is with the weird wire helmets?
              >
              > I must admit, I hated most of the production design for the interiors
              > and exteriors. Does this remind anyone else of the Ray Bradbury
              > Martian Chronicles miniseries? As I recall that was a late '70's
              > show.
              >
              > -Charles
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              >
              >
              >
              Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
              http://www.jeffdoten.com
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.