Re: Tyrants & Dictators on Barsoom

  • Javier
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2004
      > Carter was more what we think of as a Generalissimo. Think
      Shogun.
      > I think he used the term warlord to give the story exotic color.
      He
      > most surely was a dictator, but ERB's conciet was that he was not
      an
      > *evil* dictator.
      > I don't think the language has changed that much since the time
      > that ERB was writing. I think he actually used the word "gay" in
      its
      > current familiar context in "The Girl from Hollywood", but I would
      > have to re read it to be positive. In any case, the term was
      common
      > enough from the 1880's on. I agree, however, that ERB would (at
      best)
      > be perplexed by the concept of gay marriage.
      > -Seth Kallen Deitch

      I don't think Carter was a dictator or even had a dictators powers.
      I agree that his position was more of an Allied commander. Someone
      in Charge of Heliums forces and of allied forces when they Joined in.

      That said, he did throw his weight around in the fashion of "Might
      makes Right", If I remember correctly, at the end of Mastermind
      Carter shows up at Phundahl because a slave Girl, who was the fiance
      of the guy ( I think his name was Dar Tarus) who would eventually
      become the Jeddak, went to him to complain of how Xaxa was evil. So
      he decides to show up with a fleet of a thousand warships to "make
      things right".