DEJAH THORIS MODEL KIT (after Frank Cho)

  • Boom, Richard
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
      From libertymeadows.com

      Mmmmmmm............... Princess of Mars model kit. Droool.......... I need
      one of those. And a few days off to put it together. Arghhhhh... Mike
      Petryszak has brought one of Frank's creations to life again. Check out the
      "Not Suitable for Work" ad by clicking on the above preview. Then stop
      sniffing your model glue & put it to some good use you damn dirty apes!

      http://www.libertymeadows.com/images/dejahcolorad.jpg

      <<dejahcolorad[1].jpg>>
    • Saroda Mara
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
        Absolutely beautiful. Yes, she should be redder, and as for more
        covered, well, http://www.geocities.com/hillmans16/erbz438.html is the
        best I've read or heard on the subject. I can't help but think,
        though, that women wear a variety of outfits, ranging from little more
        than jewelry to what is shown in this model kit to "legal in Dallas"
        stuff (not "common in Dallas," even "weird in Dallas," perhaps, but
        legal).

        I'm glad to see that she has a reasonable figure, as some artists
        really go for ginormous breasts. Now, don't get me wrong, I like
        breasts. A lot. I even like the big'uns. But I don't like the
        madam-should-I-lend-you-a-wheelbarrow-to-carry-those-around look that
        some artists seem fixated on. I have to wonder about that big axe.

        Xenophile (off to oggle some A-cups ^_~ )
      • Terry Klasek
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
          on 6/9/04 11:25 AM, Saroda Mara at xenophile2002@... wrote:

          Absolutely beautiful. Yes, she should be redder, and as for more
          covered, well, http://www.geocities.com/hillmans16/erbz438.html is the
          best I've read or heard on the subject. I can't help but think,
          though, that women wear a variety of outfits, ranging from little more
          than jewelry to what is shown in this model kit to "legal in Dallas"
          stuff (not "common in Dallas," even "weird in Dallas," perhaps, but
          legal).

          I'm glad to see that she has a reasonable figure, as some artists
          really go for ginormous breasts. Now, don't get me wrong, I like
          breasts. A lot. I even like the big'uns. But I don't like the
          madam-should-I-lend-you-a-wheelbarrow-to-carry-those-around look that
          some artists seem fixated on. I have to wonder about that big axe.

          Xenophile (off to oggle some A-cups ^_~ )

          AHA!!! The infamous Murphey Anderson mistake strikes again!

          Barsoomians are hatched from EGGS so whay doe Dejah have a NAVEL?????? In
          Weird Worlds their lame excuse was that she had a dimple. I pondere what
          Frank Cho's excuse will be????? He should have used a Barsoomian model, and
          not a Jasoomian!

          Erich von Harben

        • Ghak
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
            At 12:04 PM 6/9/2004 -0500, Terry Klasek wrote:
            >Barsoomians are hatched from EGGS so whay doe Dejah have a NAVEL??????

            Because in Barsoomians, the umbilicus attached to the nutrient sack inside
            the egg causes the formation of a navel.

            Ghak
          • Terry Klasek
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
              on 6/9/04 12:20 PM, Ghak at svwadding@... wrote:

              At 12:04 PM 6/9/2004 -0500, Terry Klasek wrote:
              >Barsoomians are hatched from EGGS so whay doe Dejah have a NAVEL??????

              Because in Barsoomians, the umbilicus attached to the nutrient sack inside
              the egg causes the formation of a navel.

              Ghak

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              Now Ghak, what would you know aqbout Barsoom??? You dwell in caves within
              the 9interior of Jasoom! You are declaring your assertion as fact??? <g>

              Erich von Harben

            • rikjohnson@juno.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
                If the young are hatched almost adult, then why would Red women need breasts?
                I admit that I was weaned 30 years too soon but I never got the impression that red men were so helpless at birth that they needed nursing.

                Of course, all writers have their own hang-ups when writing their books.
                Burroughs liked nudity, hated sex and preferred small breasts and a heriditary nobility.
                He also believed that heridity would influence baser motives thus his nobles (Tarzan, etc) behaved in a noble manner eventhough they were not raised in that environment. the old "heridity vs environment" argument.

                Thus his heros were of noble birth and character. The women were small breasted, the men were of heroic build and everyone was naked. Plus babies were born between books (never mention pregnancy) and the only thing aproaching sex was the frequent attempted rapes which were always foiled in the nick of time.

                *****
                Rick Johnson
                PO Box 40451
                Tucson, Az. 85717

                Please note: message attached

              • Javier
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
                  This has been argued recently in other lists, but if I recall if the
                  egg sac still requires an umbilical chord this same argument would
                  apply to Chickens. I haven't really looked over a chicken in such
                  detail but I do not recall seeing a navel on a chicken. I could be
                  wrong.

                  --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Ghak <svwadding@c...> wrote:
                  > At 12:04 PM 6/9/2004 -0500, Terry Klasek wrote:
                  > >Barsoomians are hatched from EGGS so whay doe Dejah have a
                  NAVEL??????

                  > Because in Barsoomians, the umbilicus attached to the nutrient
                  sack inside
                  > the egg causes the formation of a navel.
                  >
                  > Ghak
                • Ghak
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
                    At 07:30 PM 6/9/2004 +0000, Javier wrote:
                    >This has been argued recently in other lists, but if I recall if the
                    >egg sac still requires an umbilical chord this same argument would
                    >apply to Chickens. I haven't really looked over a chicken in such
                    >detail but I do not recall seeing a navel on a chicken. I could be
                    >wrong.

                    There could be enough differences between chicken eggs and Barsoomian eggs
                    that Barsoomian eggs do cause navels.

                    Ghak
                  • Javier
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
                      This is true and I have in my mind reconciled it this way: since the
                      Barsoomian stays in the egg for 5 years as compared to a chicken
                      which hatches in a few weeks or months, that perhaps the umbilical
                      chord of a barsoomian egg could be much stronger or would have much
                      more time to make an impression on the body. Thus leaving a mark
                      that would be similar if not the same as a belly button.

                    • jaymal1@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
                        All thsi talk of eggs makes me hungry for an omelet. :)

                        That silliness aside, you also have to accept that since Barsoomians
                        actually hatch from eggs, rather than the more "traditional" manner
                        we are familiar with, there must be some physiological differences as
                        well. Since Carthoris was the product of a Jasoomian and a
                        Barsoomian, the physiology can't be too radically different, but
                        enough to allow the creation of external eggs.

                        Thus, the possibility of requiring an umbilical cord is not
                        implausible (just because chickens and other egg borne animals don't
                        have navels).

                        Besides, navels are sexy and we know that Dejah Thoris is one of the
                        sexiest ladies ever!

                        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Javier" <jg_65@y...> wrote:
                        > This is true and I have in my mind reconciled it this way: since
                        the
                        > Barsoomian stays in the egg for 5 years as compared to a chicken
                        > which hatches in a few weeks or months, that perhaps the umbilical
                        > chord of a barsoomian egg could be much stronger or would have much
                        > more time to make an impression on the body. Thus leaving a mark
                        > that would be similar if not the same as a belly button.
                        >
                        > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Ghak <svwadding@c...> wrote:
                        > > At 07:30 PM 6/9/2004 +0000, Javier wrote:
                        > > >This has been argued recently in other lists, but if I recall if
                        > the
                        > > >egg sac still requires an umbilical chord this same argument
                        would
                        > > >apply to Chickens. I haven't really looked over a chicken in
                        such
                        > > >detail but I do not recall seeing a navel on a chicken. I could
                        > be
                        > > >wrong.
                        > >
                        > > There could be enough differences between chicken eggs and
                        > Barsoomian eggs
                        > > that Barsoomian eggs do cause navels.
                        > >
                        > > Ghak
                      • Saroda Mara
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
                          If, in the (perhaps) upcoming movie, the Barsoomians had no navels, I
                          would find that neat, because it is a small but obvious bit of
                          "alienness." OTOH, I would not stomp out of the movie over DT's
                          navel, even if she wears a diamond in it.

                          I used Paint to erase the navel, and it makes a difference. A small
                          difference, but noticable. Somebody with Paintshop (and some skill
                          in using it) could do much better.

                          Xenophile (contemplating...)
                        • Terry Klasek
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 9, 2004
                            on 6/9/04 05:15 PM, Saroda Mara at xenophile2002@... wrote:

                            If, in the (perhaps) upcoming movie, the Barsoomians had no navels, I
                            would find that neat, because it is a small but obvious bit of
                            "alienness." OTOH, I would not stomp out of the movie over DT's
                            navel, even if she wears a diamond in it.

                            I used Paint to erase the navel, and it makes a difference. A small
                            difference, but noticable. Somebody with Paintshop (and some skill
                            in using it) could do much better.

                            Xenophile (contemplating...)

                            Greeting.

                            I have Photoshop and Illustrator, and I downloaded the illustration, and
                            "fixed" it. I also gave her the proper redish tint. My macintosh does do
                            quite a lot of things!

                            Cheers!

                            Terry Klasek

                          • Jeff Doten
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 11, 2004
                              Hairy say's this is pre-script, so don't nit pic - but it's cools to see
                              something - Jeff
                              http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17769
                            • Javier
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 11, 2004
                                Thanks for the pics. You are right in that its nice to see
                                something. I will try not to nitpick. So I will mention that I
                                like the DJ pic. Looked pretty good to me.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 2, 2004
                                  Hi folks,

                                  I know next to nothing ( ummm...make that just plain nothing)about
                                  how Movie artwork ties into the actual movie. For example do movie
                                  producers ( or whoever) contact an Artist and say this is what we
                                  are thinking.. so please draw it, or does the artist get contacted
                                  to provide their own interpretation ? In this particular case, is
                                  the art representative of what is being planned for the movie?

                                  If this is the case, then the image where JC confronts the White Ape
                                  while wearing pants would seem to indicate that the movie will side
                                  step the "mysterious" mode of transportation that would not allow
                                  him to go to Barsoom with clothes. I do not necessarily see a
                                  problem with this, since How exatly JC gets to Barsoom is really
                                  never explained beyond "looking up at mars and being pulled across
                                  the void". But I am curious if the art we are seeing is the
                                  direction the movie is going?

                                  Cheers
                                  Javier

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 5, 2004
                                    --- In barsoom, "Javier" wrote:

                                    > Hi folks,

                                    Hi.

                                    <snip>

                                    > the void". But I am curious if the art we are seeing is the
                                    > direction the movie is going?
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    > Javier

                                    Harry Knowles has said that this is old art, some of it "extremely
                                    old." He says that the newer stuff is "super cool." Knowles has some
                                    authority in this movie (a co-producer), and he wants to be true to
                                    the source material (Woola has ten legs, not six). His words I find
                                    reassuring. And if the newer art is even cooler than this stuff, then
                                    WOW!
                                  • Javier
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 5, 2004
                                      Where did he say this? Did he say this in some interview?

                                      --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Saroda Mara" <xenophile2002@y...> wrote:
                                      > --- In barsoom, "Javier" wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Hi folks,
                                      >
                                      > Hi.
                                      >
                                      > <snip>
                                      >
                                      > > the void". But I am curious if the art we are seeing is the
                                      > > direction the movie is going?
                                      > >
                                      > > Cheers
                                      > > Javier
                                      >
                                      > Harry Knowles has said that this is old art, some of it "extremely
                                      > old." He says that the newer stuff is "super cool." Knowles has some
                                      > authority in this movie (a co-producer), and he wants to be true to
                                      > the source material (Woola has ten legs, not six). His words I find
                                      > reassuring. And if the newer art is even cooler than this stuff, then
                                      > WOW!
                                    • Javier
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 6, 2004
                                        Never mind. I found the answer myself. It says it on the write up
                                        about the pictures.

                                        Thanks
                                        Javier