Re: Important News for barsoom Members

  • jim_clunie
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9 2:24 AM
      --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, jhuckenp@a... wrote:

      > This is happening far too often. Someone muscles his way into a
      group of
      > friends, spews his garbage at us, and then has the gall to suggest
      that if we
      > don't want his trash WE should unsubscribe. People like that
      should lose their
      > posting privileges for life.
      >
      > AQPorter

      I've reported this criminal trash, as I will all such messages. A
      thieving spammer is no part of the group that I consented to join.
      Unfortunately this latest message does not trace back past Yahoo to
      the idiots who provide him with e-mail access, and the provider for
      his website (xantron.de) doesn't care.

      Jim C
    • Alan Saunders
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9 5:09 AM
        --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "jim_clunie" <jim_clunie@h...> wrote:
        > --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, jhuckenp@a... wrote:
        >
        > > This is happening far too often. Someone muscles his way into
        > group of
        > > friends, spews his garbage at us, and then has the gall to
        suggest
        > that if we
        > > don't want his trash WE should unsubscribe. People like that
        > should lose their
        > > posting privileges for life.
        > >
        > > AQPorter
        >
        > I've reported this criminal trash, as I will all such messages. A
        > thieving spammer is no part of the group that I consented to join.
        > Unfortunately this latest message does not trace back past Yahoo
        > the idiots who provide him with e-mail access, and the provider
        for
        > his website (xantron.de) doesn't care.
        >
        > Jim C

        My apolgies; I don't give this group as much attention as I do
        others, and I hadn't noticed these posts appearing. I have set the
        group to 'new member moderation', which means that anyone that joins
        has to establish their bone fides before being allowed full posting
        rights. Untill then their posts have to be approved by a moderator.

        Jack Teague has offered to be a moderator, so with two of us on the
        case spam ought to become a thing of teh past.

        Alan Saunders
        Moderator
      • Ghak
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9 5:32 AM
          At 12:18 AM 6/9/2004 -0400, jhuckenp@... wrote:
          >This is happening far too often. Someone muscles his way into a group of
          >friends, spews his garbage at us, and then has the gall to suggest that if we
          >don't want his trash WE should unsubscribe. People like that should lose
          >their
          >posting privileges for life.

          The tough thing is actually finding the person(s) who caused the offending
          post to be sent. They are long gone, and busy opening a new Yahoo profile
          to send spam to other groups.

          Ghak
        • Terry Klasek
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 9 6:44 AM
            KAOR!!

            I moderate many e-groups, and some I have had to restrict membership. When
            someone wants to join I get an e-mail. I contact them and ask WHY they want
            to join? I am highly conversant with the subject matter of those groups, and
            spammers usually give some wrong answer thus giving themselves away.

            I have nammed several spammers, BUT I saved their info and location. One
            tried to rejoin with a new e-mail address, but the background data was the
            same so I declined to admit them.

            PulpMags, FictionMags and OnlkinePulps all are restricted membership lists.
            I suggest that the Owner / moderator consider restricting membership. Most
            spammers do not like lists that are restricted.

            Just trying to help!

            Terry Alan Klasek
            Saint Louis, MIssouri

            PS Currently reading a biography of Walter Gibson author of THE SHADOW and
            writing an essay on OPAR.

          • ducky87@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 9 9:51 AM
              Hi Terry:

              I'm a big fan of pulp magazines. I've got several hundred SF and horror pulps in the attic waiting to be read. I'm also writing an encyclopaedia of Martian civilizations as depicted in books and the pulps.

              How can I join the pulps group?

              Jean Elliott
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Terry Klasek

[...]

                Jean,

                Hmmm, Your name is familiar! ERBlist???

                All groups are at yahoo. Sign in groups section, and do searches. Find
                PulpMags, FictionMags and onlinePulps. Join each one in turn. All have
                members as pending. You wiull be contacted by each owner to wrtite something
                about yourself, and why you want to join the groups. Just be honost telling
                how much you like pulps, reprints and book versions. Art too. Tell of your
                collections; ERB, Pulps, Pbs, hardcovers etc.

                If you like Robert E. Howard try rehinnercircle as they are very active,
                and quite interested in the "PURE" words of Robert E. Howard rather than the
                diluted stuff of Carter, DeCamp et al.

                Well, that should get you started. REHinnercircle generates a lot of mail,
                with occational breathing spaces. Volume will be down now as Robert E.
                Howard days is soon approaching in Cross Plains, Texas, and many members
                will be there instaed of on the list.

                I am on all of them including LinCarter, literaryfantasy, Kregen, several
                Sherlock Holmes lists, and quite a few Mensa lists. Also ERB My main
                strength since 1996.

                Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

                ERich von Harben
                aka
                Terry Alan Klasek

              • Jim Clunie
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 9 7:47 PM
                  >From: "Alan Saunders" <alan.catherine@...>
                  >
                  >My apolgies; I don't give this group as much attention as I do
                  >others, and I hadn't noticed these posts appearing. I have set the
                  >group to 'new member moderation', which means that anyone that joins
                  >has to establish their bone fides before being allowed full posting
                  >rights. Untill then their posts have to be approved by a moderator.
                  >
                  >Jack Teague has offered to be a moderator, so with two of us on the
                  >case spam ought to become a thing of teh past.
                  >
                  >Alan Saunders
                  >Moderator

                  Much appreciated! I think the requirement to front up to a human, rather
                  than an automated routine, will knock this on the head.

                  Cheers
                  Jim C

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 9 10:20 PM
                    In a message dated 9/6/04 5:28:23, jim_clunie@... writes:

                    > Unfortunately this latest message does not trace back past Yahoo to
                    > the idiots who provide him with e-mail access, and the provider for
                    > his website (xantron.de) doesn't care.

                    Jim --

                    Maybe we ought to take a leaf out of Saddam's book and cut off their hands.
                    That might put a stop to it.

                    AQP

                  • Alan Saunders
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 10 4:05 PM
                      --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, Terry Klasek <taklasek@s...> wrote:
                      > KAOR!!
                      > PulpMags, FictionMags and OnlkinePulps all are restricted
                      membership lists.
                      > I suggest that the Owner / moderator consider restricting
                      membership. Most
                      > spammers do not like lists that are restricted.

                      A nice idea, but more work for me that I really like. Restricting
                      initial messages works fine on other groups I run.

                      Alan