Barsoomian ammunition

  • Javier
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2004
      I know that generally the folks on Barsoom used the shell that
      exploded on contact with the sun once the outer shell was cracked.
      Did they not also use a non explosive shell at night? I forgot
      where I read that
    • Steve Wadding
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2004
        At 06:03 PM 5/12/04 +0000, Javier wrote:
        >I know that generally the folks on Barsoom used the shell that
        >exploded on contact with the sun once the outer shell was cracked.
        >Did they not also use a non explosive shell at night? I forgot
        >where I read that

        I don't recall a non explosive shell (though that doesn't mean one wasn't
        mentioned). I do recall mention of the dangers of the battlefield at dawn
        after a night battle.

        Ghak
      • Rick Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2004
          At night they often used contact-explosive or non-explosive shells.
          But they also used explosive shells at night so:
          (this is a guess on my part)
          that surgeons would be killed when they removed the shells during the next day or
          because they were too lazy to change the ammo in their weapons.

          So surgeons would do surgery under artificial lighting which makes field hospitals a very dangerous profession indeed.

          *****
          Rick Johnson
          PO Box 40451
          Tucson, Az. 85717

          Please note: message attached

        • Smith, Todd
          • Saroda Mara
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2004
              --- In barsoom, "Javier" wrote:

              > I know that generally the folks on Barsoom used the shell that
              > exploded on contact with the sun once the outer shell was cracked.
              > Did they not also use a non explosive shell at night? I forgot
              > where I read that

              To quote the source material:

              _A Princess of Mars_
              Chapter XIII -- Love-Making On Mars

              They have had me down in the pits below the buildings helping them mix
              their awful radium powder, and make their terrible projectiles. You
              know that these have to be manufactured by artificial light, as
              exposure to sunlight always results in an explosion. You have noticed
              that their bullets explode when they strike an object? Well, the
              opaque, outer coating is broken by the impact, exposing a glass
              cylinder, almost solid, in the forward end of which is a minute
              particle of radium powder. The moment the sunlight, even though
              diffused, strikes this powder it explodes with a violence which
              nothing can withstand. If you ever witness a night battle you will
              note the absence of these explosions, while the morning following the
              battle will be filled at sunrise with the sharp detonations of
              exploding missiles fired the preceding night. As a rule, however,
              non-exploding projectiles are used at night.?