Re: Average age at first exposure to ERB

  • thongor1
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2004
      I've told this story in other ERB groups but I basically learned to
      read wirh ERB. My mother collected Tarzan books and comics before I
      was born and she gave me her collection. Tarzan and I are practically
      step brothers. heh.
      That said, I didn't read any Barsoom books until I was 13, and
      those became my favorites. So I ended up liking John Carter best even
      though I discovered him later. Hopefully Tarzan will forgive me...

      Charles
    • NFranz197@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2004
        > Out of curiosity, is there ANY fan out there that was exposed to ERB
        > stories for the first time as an adult?  It seems to me that most
        > fans are those that first read ERB in their childhood/teen years.  I
        > myself first read ERB when I was 14.  It was Princess of Mars.
        > I picked the book quit frankly thanks to the scantly clad woman on the
        > cover :)

        Yes, in all honesty, scnatily cald females on the cover _always_ help.
        But they're not Everything.

        As for myself, I am 29 now.
        I discovered Tarzan mainly through the 1970s Filmation Studios
        animated series on television, which I saw when I was 5, maybe
        five and a half. I later watched many of the movie versions.
        As far as books are concerned, I discovered John Carter
        through an excerpt of POM in a fantasy anthology that a friend had.
        I was 21 at the time. I didn't buy a copy of the novel until I was 22.

        I read POM anew the summer that I turned 28,
        and a full year later I read Tarzan of the Apes for the first time.
        I had never known how much I'd enjoy Tarzan as a novel,
        I'd always underestimated that guy.

        -- Norbert