Re: [barsoom] Average age at first exposure to ERB

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2004
      In a message dated 2/13/04 2:15:54 PM, jg_65@... writes:

      > Out of curiosity, is there ANY fan out there that was exposed to ERB
      > stories for the first time as an adult?  It seems to me that most
      > fans are those that first read ERB in their childhood/teen years.  I
      > myself first read ERB when I was 14.  It was Princess of Mars. I
      > picked the book quit frankly thanks to the scantly clad woman on the
      > cover :)

      Javier --

      I recently conducted a survey of the Burroughs Bibliophiles, and one of the
      questions was at what age the respondent first became aware of ERB. The vast
      majority responded with "10 or under" or "11 to 20". Only 8 out of 181

      > I also wonder if our likes and dislikes of ERB heroes is influenced
      > by what we were first exposed to.  For example My first ERB book was
      > POM and ever since my favorite books are the barsoom books.  I have
      > read a few of the Tarzan and frankly they do nothing for me.

      This is not true in my case. I discovered Tarzan first and Barsoom second,
      but the Mars books as a series are my favorites. There are several good
      Tarzan books, but there are also an awful lot of potboilers in the middle of that
      series. On the other hand, there is a growth and maturing in Tarzan that I
      don't see in John Carter. The Tarzan of "FOREIGN LEGION" is far different
      from the Tarzan of APES; the John Carter of LLANA is pretty much the same guy as
      we first met in PRINCESS.

      To some extent, we're comparing apples and billiard balls here -- similar in
      outward appearance but far different in composition. In the Tarzan books --
      at least the better ones -- the focus is on the character of Tarzan himself;
      in the Mars books the focus is on the planet and its many varied forms of
      animal, plant, and human life.

      As to artists, I suspect you're only partly right in your statement that the
      artist we first encountered tends to be our benchmark. My first
      visualization of Tarzan was formed by the Burne Hogarth comic strip, followed by the
      Arting silhouette in APES. But the one who comes closest to my ideal Burroughs
      artist remains J. Allen St. John, probably because I saw more of his work --
      beginning with the 26 chapter headings in RETURN. I can appreciate the Krenkel,
      Frazetta, D'Achille, and Whelan art -- as well as Reed Crandall, Larry Ivie,
      and Monroe -- but I still think of them as "moderns" and of St. John and
      Schoonover as the "classics".

    • thongor1
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2004
        I've told this story in other ERB groups but I basically learned to
        read wirh ERB. My mother collected Tarzan books and comics before I
        was born and she gave me her collection. Tarzan and I are practically
        step brothers. heh.
        That said, I didn't read any Barsoom books until I was 13, and
        those became my favorites. So I ended up liking John Carter best even
        though I discovered him later. Hopefully Tarzan will forgive me...

        Charles
      • NFranz197@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2004
          > Out of curiosity, is there ANY fan out there that was exposed to ERB
          > stories for the first time as an adult?  It seems to me that most
          > fans are those that first read ERB in their childhood/teen years.  I
          > myself first read ERB when I was 14.  It was Princess of Mars.
          > I picked the book quit frankly thanks to the scantly clad woman on the
          > cover :)

          Yes, in all honesty, scnatily cald females on the cover _always_ help.
          But they're not Everything.

          As for myself, I am 29 now.
          I discovered Tarzan mainly through the 1970s Filmation Studios
          animated series on television, which I saw when I was 5, maybe
          five and a half. I later watched many of the movie versions.
          As far as books are concerned, I discovered John Carter
          through an excerpt of POM in a fantasy anthology that a friend had.
          I was 21 at the time. I didn't buy a copy of the novel until I was 22.

          I read POM anew the summer that I turned 28,
          and a full year later I read Tarzan of the Apes for the first time.
          I had never known how much I'd enjoy Tarzan as a novel,
          I'd always underestimated that guy.

          -- Norbert