Tardos Mors Appearance

  • Javier
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2004
      Hello,

      When thinking of an actor that would be good to play Tardos Mors, in
      my mind it becomes inevitable that Tardos Mors would be played by an
      actor in his 50's - 60's. Yet in the books I don't recall any
      description of him other than he was regal looking and stood straight
      as an arrow. In a world where people do not age, would not Tardos
      Mors look as youthful as John Carter?

      Javier
    • Jim Clunie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2004
        Martians live a long time, but they do age. Many become hunched,
        grey-haired, bald and wrinkled (as well as mildly senile, though they don't
        seem to suffer the worst forms of dementia). Tardos Mors would probably
        appear in his late 40s or 50s, and exceptionally fit for that age. He's
        described as "_almost_ a perfect specimen of manhood", my emphasis, and his
        standing straight as an arrow is perhaps in contrast to what would be
        expected from a visibly middle-aged man.

        Jim C

        >From: "Javier" <jg_65@...>

        >Hello,
        >
        >When thinking of an actor that would be good to play Tardos Mors, in
        >my mind it becomes inevitable that Tardos Mors would be played by an
        >actor in his 50's - 60's. Yet in the books I don't recall any
        >description of him other than he was regal looking and stood straight
        >as an arrow. In a world where people do not age, would not Tardos
        >Mors look as youthful as John Carter?
        >
        >Javier

        Get less junk mail with ninemsn Premium. Click here
      • Seth K. Deitch
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2004
          --- In barsoom@yahoogroups.com, "Javier" <jg_65@y...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > When thinking of an actor that would be good to play Tardos Mors,
          in
          > my mind it becomes inevitable that Tardos Mors would be played by
          an
          > actor in his 50's - 60's. Yet in the books I don't recall any
          > description of him other than he was regal looking and stood
          straight
          > as an arrow. In a world where people do not age, would not Tardos
          > Mors look as youthful as John Carter?
          >
          > Javier

          This is really the most ignored problem in casting Barsoom. Just
          about everyone should be played by actors who are under thirty,
          including John Carter who is apparently immortal. Of course several
          older actors could pull it off, but they should *appear* youthful. I
          have gotten the impression from the Mars books that a Barsoomian
          city's streets would give more the impression of a college campus in
          the median apparen age of its inhabitants. Anyone who seems middle
          aged or old is very old indeed on Mars. I forgethow old Ras Thavas
          was supposed to have been, but I think it was nearly a thousand. So
          to play Dejah Thoris, one should not be thinking about an actress in
          the age range of Catherine Zeta Jones but more that of Hillary Duff
          (who is presented hear as an example of age alone, not a suggestion
          for the part).
          -Seth Kallen Deitch
        • Javier
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2004
            I guess this is the same problem that was encountered in Lord of the
            Rings, when dealing with the Elves who were suppossed to be
            immortal. The character of Elrond for example was older than the
            dirt on Middle earth. They dealt with it by casting an actor that
            is maybe in his 40's and youthful. But who Acted more responsible
            and serious than the others. Thus giving the impression of age.

            You are right about the casting of DJ. Often in his books ERB often
            refers to the herion as "The girl" as in "The girl was sobbing"
            Which implies they really are no more than teenagers. Which is
            inconstent with what we generally think of when thinking of a Classy
            educated sophisticated woman.