Re: I am trying to post.

  • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
      --- In barsoom@y..., Bruce Bozarth <tangor@p...> wrote:
      > xenophile2002@y... wrote:
      > >
      > > I am trying to post. My posting abilities seem to be... dying.

      Just like Captain Carter, I am alive again!

      > I received your post. Are you still trying to Yahoo? (tongue in
      > cheek)

      Be careful; you rface could stick like that. ^_~

      > Yahoo, the recently publisized pornography site, does not seem to

      Pornography doesn't bother me. But I'll agree that it's out of place
      at any ERB site, group, etc. I'll admit that I'd probably read a
      Barsoom lemon out of curiosity.

      > be a realistic ERB venue. ERB fans are invited to join an
      > uncompromised list server:
      > Send email to erblist@p... with the word SUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT
      > line

      I'm afraid the e-ddress choped off. Can you tell me the rest
      of "erblist@p..."?

      > barsoomer, you did GOOD attempting to start an erb formum at Yahoo,

      Who DID start this group? I can probably find the answer to that.

      > with good heart and effort. Unfortunately you have been stabbed in
      > the back by money market dot.com ghods desperate to make a buck
      > rather than promote Internet fan relations.

      o_0?

      <snip remainder>
    • Alan Saunders
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
        Bruce Bozarth wrote:
        > Is big news here these last three weeks--and the stock market
        responded
        > by dumping Yahoo stock so quickly that Yahoo hurriedly retracted
        their
        > sales of pornographic and adult material (their "safeguards for
        minors"
        > was such a joke).

        They have also removed porn and other related related categories from
        their 'Clubs' listings, although they do not appear to have deleted
        any existing ones. I think they are hoping that since no-one can find
        them any more they will wither on the vine. I don't know if they have
        performed a similar surgical strike on the Yahoo Groups, but it
        wouldn't surprise me.

        > I sincerely wish all the best to the Barsoom group, I hope that is
        > plain. However, like many Americans I'm torn between poking Yahoo
        in the
        > eye for being so dumb and overt to pander to the most base aspects
        of
        > Internet sales and marketing (and voting such unhappiness by a
        personal
        > boycott of their services) and seeing this group expand.

        To be fair this group wasn't set up under Yahoo, it was set up under
        E-Groups, but unfortunately the 'normal' process of merger and
        takeover has meant that it's ended up here. In terms of other groups
        I belong to this has been beneficial, with loads of extra facilities
        for us to use.

        Anyway, as long as there is at least one member this group will
        remain here for anyone to use.

        Alan Saunders
        alan.catherine@...
        http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine

        He believed, along with General Tacticus, that courage, bravery and
        the indominable human spirit were fine things which nevertheless
        tended to take second place to the combination of courage, bravery,
        the indominable human spirit and a six-to-one superiority of numbers.
        (Terry Pratchett, 'Jingo')
      • Fredrik Ekman
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
          On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Alan Saunders wrote:

          > To be fair this group wasn't set up under Yahoo, it was set up under
          > E-Groups

          Actually I believe that it was set up even before that, back when Onelist
          had not yet merged with eGroups. Ah, but those were the days!

          But seriously, I am not principally against boycotting Yahoo (although
          more because it is so obvious that Yahoo do not care about their users
          than as a protest against pornography). But what alternatives do we have?
          The only similar services left that I know of are Lycos Hotbot and
          www.topica.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to their quality? Of
          course, the final word will have to be Alan's.

          /Fredrik

          , but unfortunately the 'normal' process of merger and
          > takeover has meant that it's ended up here. In terms of other groups
          > I belong to this has been beneficial, with loads of extra facilities
          > for us to use.
          >
          > Anyway, as long as there is at least one member this group will
          > remain here for anyone to use.
          >
          > Alan Saunders
          > alan.catherine@...
          > http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine
          >
          > He believed, along with General Tacticus, that courage, bravery and
          > the indominable human spirit were fine things which nevertheless
          > tended to take second place to the combination of courage, bravery,
          > the indominable human spirit and a six-to-one superiority of numbers.
          > (Terry Pratchett, 'Jingo')

        • Fredrik Ekman
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
            Of course I did not mean Lycos Hotbot, really. I do not know quite where
            my brain was at the moment. I really meant to say Listbot
            (www.listbot.com).

            /Fredrik
          • Bruce Bozarth
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
              Fredrik Ekman wrote:
              > than as a protest against pornography). But what alternatives do we have?
              > The only similar services left that I know of are Lycos Hotbot and
              > www.topica.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to their quality? Of
              > course, the final word will have to be Alan's.

              If the listmeister is interested I can provide information (and
              assistance if required) to set up a personally owned and managed
              listserver using the same software used at ERBList. Last time I looked
              it was $30 US to register for the full version and free to use the light
              version. Works over ordinary dialup ISP services, can be set to strip
              attachments (if desired) and is virtually spam free because of the
              membership/subscriber requirements. I've been using this software for
              three years at ERBList, first under Win95, now WinNT.

              --

              TANGOR

              Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
              http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
              The Official ERB FAQ is at
              http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
            • Steve Wadding
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                At 08:14 PM 4/29/01 +0200, Fredrik Ekman wrote:
                >Of course I did not mean Lycos Hotbot, really. I do not know quite where
                >my brain was at the moment. I really meant to say Listbot
                >(www.listbot.com).

                I have no idea how listbot is doing now, but I know of a couple of lists
                that moved from listbot to egroups because of amazingly bad performance
                from listbot, like messages taking a day to be transmitted to the list
                members. That was about a year ago, and they might have improved things
                since then.

                Ghak
              • Bruce Bozarth
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                  Steve Wadding wrote:
                  > I have no idea how listbot is doing now, but I know of a couple of lists
                  > that moved from listbot to egroups because of amazingly bad performance
                  > from listbot, like messages taking a day to be transmitted to the list

                  I gave up on Listbot when Microsoft gobbled them up.