Re: [barsoom] Re: Kane of Old Mars question

  • Floyd Brigdon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
      >I should go buy that book then, shouldn't I?

      Yes, you should. I second Jeff's recommendation heartily. I read the
      Kane books so long ago that I don't rememebr exactly how they are similar to
      the Barsoom stories but I do remember that I enjoyed them immensely. (And,
      like Jeff said, with Moorcock you can very rarely go wrong....)

      Floyd
    • Jeff Doten
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
        > You'd think I of all people would know that ! Thanks ! - Jeffhhh

        > Um, and the name "Dejah Thoris" is always
        > spelled with an H, not Deja.
        >
        > Take care,
        > Norbert
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Jeff Doten's Illustration Studio and the Fire Gods of Venus Project
        http://www.jeffdoten.com

      • pgjsmj@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
          I read the Kane books of MM years ago when DAW Books reissued them in the 1970s. My first exposure to Moorcock was Elric, Corum, Dorian Hawkmoon, et al. Kane of Old Mars isn't Moorcock's best work, and in comparison to ERBs Mars books (which it seeks to imitate) they are *yawn* not that good. Better imitators of ERB have been Otis Adelbert Kline, Ralph Milne Farley, and even Mike Resnick and Lin Carter. Don't misunderstand me - Moorcock is among my favorite authors, but his Kane books (among his first literary attempts) aren't on my "must re-read" list.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2004
            >From: "medoroxx" <medoroxx@...>

            >Hi.
            >
            >I have wanted to ask you whether you could tell me how similar
            >Michael Moorcock's early novel "Kane of Old Mars" was to the Barsoom
            >series by ERB.
            >
            >I have often read that Michael Moorcock was hugely influenced by, and
            >a big admirer of, the early Edgar Rice Burroughs novels when he was
            >growing up. I know Moorcock mostly through his "Elric" and Hawkmoon
            >novels, but I know he has written tons of other books, and in his
            >teens was once the editor of a fanzine named "Burroughsiana".
            >
            >Any opinions or comments on Kane of Old Mars?
            >
            >-- Norbert

            "Kane of Old Mars" was Michael Moorcock's deliberate homage to ERB, as he
            makes clear in his introduction to the latest omnibus. He wrote the first
            one under a pseudonym, while working on other, very different novels in his
            own right.

            They're not set on Barsoom, but a different Old Mars, but have the same
            concepts of barbaric giants, weird riding beasts, ancient decaying cities, a
            princess to rescue, villainous masterminds to defeat, and (as mentioned by
            someone else on this list) flying contraptions.

            Unfortunately, I find the first novel poor (City of the Beast). Moorcock
            tried too hard to match ERB and it becomes simply a parody. It seems a much
            smaller, less epic tale than Barsoom, which worked for Lin Carter's Callisto
            but not here.

            The second (Lord of the Spiders) is much more flowing and imaginative, and
            works well as a straight-out planetary romance.

            The third (Masters of the Pit) blends a powerful story, with action and
            themes that seem much closer to Moorcock's own Eternal Champion mythos -
            almost a fusion of the two. It's something else again.

            Jim C

            Get less junk mail with ninemsn Premium. Click here