Re: [barsoom] I am trying to post.

  • Bruce Bozarth
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
      xenophile2002@... wrote:

      > I am trying to post. My posting abilities seem to be... dying.

      I received your post. Are you still trying to Yahoo? (tongue in cheek)

      Yahoo, the recently publisized pornography site, does not seem to be a
      realistic ERB venue. ERB fans are invited to join an uncompromised list
      server:

      Send email to erblist@... with the word SUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT
      line

      barsoomer, you did GOOD attempting to start an erb formum at Yahoo, with
      good heart and effort. Unfortunately you have been stabbed in the back
      by money market dot.com ghods desperate to make a buck rather than
      promote Internet fan relations.

      Suggest we all stay linked to barsoomer's yahoo while the company back
      tracks from ugliness unnecessary, but in the meantime ERBList is free of
      company, profit, or other aspects which sully the memory of ERB.

      --

      TANGOR

      Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
      http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
      The Official ERB FAQ is at
      http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
    • Fredrik Ekman
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
        --- In barsoom@y..., Bruce Bozarth <tangor@p...> wrote:
        > Yahoo, the recently publisized pornography site, does not seem to
        be a
        > realistic ERB venue.

        Did I miss something? I knew that Yahoo was Evil and Capitalistic,
        but pornographic?

        And while I am in favour of people joining ERBList, I would also hope
        that Barsoom, at least as an idea, has a certain degree of merit to
        it. What initially attracted me about the group was the very fact
        that it was about Barsoom alone.

        I did an inventory of ERB-related Ebay/Yahoo groups some time ago and
        found one or two that are perhaps about ERB in general. I did not
        bother to join, since they can offer nothing or little that is not
        already covered on ERBList and ERBCOF-L. A Barsoom-only group,
        however, could potentially attract fans who, like myself, are
        primarily interested in the Barsoom series and do not want the high
        volume of those other lists.

        So, while Barsoom has little to speak for it as it stands I would
        still like to see it grow and prosper in the future. Whether Yahoo is
        the "right" or "wrong" platform for it is an interesting discussion,
        but I would not want to see it sucked up into any other list.

        /Fredrik
      • Bruce Bozarth
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
          Fredrik Ekman wrote:
          > Did I miss something? I knew that Yahoo was Evil and Capitalistic,
          > but pornographic?

          Is big news here these last three weeks--and the stock market responded
          by dumping Yahoo stock so quickly that Yahoo hurriedly retracted their
          sales of pornographic and adult material (their "safeguards for minors"
          was such a joke).

          > So, while Barsoom has little to speak for it as it stands I would
          > still like to see it grow and prosper in the future. Whether Yahoo is
          > the "right" or "wrong" platform for it is an interesting discussion,
          > but I would not want to see it sucked up into any other list.

          I sincerely wish all the best to the Barsoom group, I hope that is
          plain. However, like many Americans I'm torn between poking Yahoo in the
          eye for being so dumb and overt to pander to the most base aspects of
          Internet sales and marketing (and voting such unhappiness by a personal
          boycott of their services) and seeing this group expand.

          --

          TANGOR

          Entry point to Tangor's ERB Web Empire is
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor
          The Official ERB FAQ is at
          http://freeweb.pdq.net/Tangor/erbfaq.html
        • Steve Wadding
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
            At 04:49 PM 4/28/01 -0500, Bruce Bozarth wrote:
            >Fredrik Ekman wrote:
            > > Did I miss something? I knew that Yahoo was Evil and Capitalistic,
            > > but pornographic?
            >
            >Is big news here these last three weeks--and the stock market responded
            >by dumping Yahoo stock so quickly that Yahoo hurriedly retracted their
            >sales of pornographic and adult material (their "safeguards for minors"
            >was such a joke).

            Tangor,

            I hadn't heard about this. Is there an article on-line you can refer me to?

            Ghak
          • Steve Wadding
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
              At 07:26 PM 4/28/01 -0400, Steve Wadding wrote:
              >I hadn't heard about this. Is there an article on-line you can refer me to?

              Never mind. Found one at:
              <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010415/aponline133117_000.htm>

              Ghak
            • xenophile2002@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 28, 2001
                --- In barsoom@y..., Bruce Bozarth <tangor@p...> wrote:
                > xenophile2002@y... wrote:
                > >
                > > I am trying to post. My posting abilities seem to be... dying.

                Just like Captain Carter, I am alive again!

                > I received your post. Are you still trying to Yahoo? (tongue in
                > cheek)

                Be careful; you rface could stick like that. ^_~

                > Yahoo, the recently publisized pornography site, does not seem to

                Pornography doesn't bother me. But I'll agree that it's out of place
                at any ERB site, group, etc. I'll admit that I'd probably read a
                Barsoom lemon out of curiosity.

                > be a realistic ERB venue. ERB fans are invited to join an
                > uncompromised list server:
                > Send email to erblist@p... with the word SUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT
                > line

                I'm afraid the e-ddress choped off. Can you tell me the rest
                of "erblist@p..."?

                > barsoomer, you did GOOD attempting to start an erb formum at Yahoo,

                Who DID start this group? I can probably find the answer to that.

                > with good heart and effort. Unfortunately you have been stabbed in
                > the back by money market dot.com ghods desperate to make a buck
                > rather than promote Internet fan relations.

                o_0?

                <snip remainder>
              • Alan Saunders
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                  Bruce Bozarth wrote:
                  > Is big news here these last three weeks--and the stock market
                  responded
                  > by dumping Yahoo stock so quickly that Yahoo hurriedly retracted
                  their
                  > sales of pornographic and adult material (their "safeguards for
                  minors"
                  > was such a joke).

                  They have also removed porn and other related related categories from
                  their 'Clubs' listings, although they do not appear to have deleted
                  any existing ones. I think they are hoping that since no-one can find
                  them any more they will wither on the vine. I don't know if they have
                  performed a similar surgical strike on the Yahoo Groups, but it
                  wouldn't surprise me.

                  > I sincerely wish all the best to the Barsoom group, I hope that is
                  > plain. However, like many Americans I'm torn between poking Yahoo
                  in the
                  > eye for being so dumb and overt to pander to the most base aspects
                  of
                  > Internet sales and marketing (and voting such unhappiness by a
                  personal
                  > boycott of their services) and seeing this group expand.

                  To be fair this group wasn't set up under Yahoo, it was set up under
                  E-Groups, but unfortunately the 'normal' process of merger and
                  takeover has meant that it's ended up here. In terms of other groups
                  I belong to this has been beneficial, with loads of extra facilities
                  for us to use.

                  Anyway, as long as there is at least one member this group will
                  remain here for anyone to use.

                  Alan Saunders
                  alan.catherine@...
                  http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine

                  He believed, along with General Tacticus, that courage, bravery and
                  the indominable human spirit were fine things which nevertheless
                  tended to take second place to the combination of courage, bravery,
                  the indominable human spirit and a six-to-one superiority of numbers.
                  (Terry Pratchett, 'Jingo')
                • Fredrik Ekman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                    On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Alan Saunders wrote:

                    > To be fair this group wasn't set up under Yahoo, it was set up under
                    > E-Groups

                    Actually I believe that it was set up even before that, back when Onelist
                    had not yet merged with eGroups. Ah, but those were the days!

                    But seriously, I am not principally against boycotting Yahoo (although
                    more because it is so obvious that Yahoo do not care about their users
                    than as a protest against pornography). But what alternatives do we have?
                    The only similar services left that I know of are Lycos Hotbot and
                    www.topica.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to their quality? Of
                    course, the final word will have to be Alan's.

                    /Fredrik

                    , but unfortunately the 'normal' process of merger and
                    > takeover has meant that it's ended up here. In terms of other groups
                    > I belong to this has been beneficial, with loads of extra facilities
                    > for us to use.
                    >
                    > Anyway, as long as there is at least one member this group will
                    > remain here for anyone to use.
                    >
                    > Alan Saunders
                    > alan.catherine@...
                    > http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine
                    >
                    > He believed, along with General Tacticus, that courage, bravery and
                    > the indominable human spirit were fine things which nevertheless
                    > tended to take second place to the combination of courage, bravery,
                    > the indominable human spirit and a six-to-one superiority of numbers.
                    > (Terry Pratchett, 'Jingo')

                  • Fredrik Ekman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                      Of course I did not mean Lycos Hotbot, really. I do not know quite where
                      my brain was at the moment. I really meant to say Listbot
                      (www.listbot.com).

                      /Fredrik
                    • Bruce Bozarth
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                        Fredrik Ekman wrote:
                        > than as a protest against pornography). But what alternatives do we have?
                        > The only similar services left that I know of are Lycos Hotbot and
                        > www.topica.com. Does anyone have an opinion as to their quality? Of
                        > course, the final word will have to be Alan's.

                        If the listmeister is interested I can provide information (and
                        assistance if required) to set up a personally owned and managed
                        listserver using the same software used at ERBList. Last time I looked
                        it was $30 US to register for the full version and free to use the light
                        version. Works over ordinary dialup ISP services, can be set to strip
                        attachments (if desired) and is virtually spam free because of the
                        membership/subscriber requirements. I've been using this software for
                        three years at ERBList, first under Win95, now WinNT.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                          At 08:14 PM 4/29/01 +0200, Fredrik Ekman wrote:
                          >Of course I did not mean Lycos Hotbot, really. I do not know quite where
                          >my brain was at the moment. I really meant to say Listbot
                          >(www.listbot.com).

                          I have no idea how listbot is doing now, but I know of a couple of lists
                          that moved from listbot to egroups because of amazingly bad performance
                          from listbot, like messages taking a day to be transmitted to the list
                          members. That was about a year ago, and they might have improved things
                          since then.

                          Ghak
                        • Bruce Bozarth
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
                            Steve Wadding wrote:
                            > I have no idea how listbot is doing now, but I know of a couple of lists
                            > that moved from listbot to egroups because of amazingly bad performance
                            > from listbot, like messages taking a day to be transmitted to the list

                            I gave up on Listbot when Microsoft gobbled them up.