      From: GoonieHome1 <GoonieHome1@...>
      To: Kregen <Kregen@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Mon, Oct 14, 2013 3:51 pm
      Subject: [Kregen] RE: Warlord of Ghandor

      Lahal Seg, all,

      Finally made myself read Warlord of Ghandor.

      Here is my Amazon review.

      Slow start as author introduces the many Earth and contra-Earth societal elements. Pay close attention, the main character is an Irish roman tic Anit-English character with heavy elements from the Arthurian Gaelic literary and familial roots. Check old texts of Culwch and Olwen and you will find both the elemental power of weapons, Excalibur etc, and super-human powers in heroes. I suggest the proverbial power of the "Salmon Leap". This is NOT Mallory's La Morte de Arthur. This is not a barsoom pastiche as much of the cited similarities are the same across many hero and sword stories of the past dozen centuries. It is a pretty good Sword and Planet adventure with quite an intricate ecology and vocabulary, most reminiscent of the Dray Prescot series by Kenneth Bulmer such as The Delian Cycle, The Saga of Dray Prescott. The start reminded me of a Venus forest story or Tarzan, but once the character became acclimated to his surroundings it became a clear adventure story. To my great delight, in chapter 13 there is one of the clearest fencing duels I have ever read. It was clear and easy to follow. Whil e I personally thought the character came within an 'ace' of death more than once, others say NOT so, yet what character driven adventure story kills the main character off, except at possibly at the end. The author did use formulaic elements in his ending as the hero is stuck back on Earth without his princess. My attempted research into the author would show this to be a very young writer who did a fairly deft job of intertwining romantic Earth and science fiction, granted many stories are similar, but few have the intricacy of this story. Also remember, that Donald Wolheim of DAW published it, yet he found more than enough in it to differentiate it from Akers, Burroughs and Carter. Thanks, Harry!

      This definitely was NOT dull. Thanks, Harry!

      ---In Kregen@yahoogroups.com, <kregen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      It's been a few years but I'm now rereading Dell Dowdell's "Warlord of Ghandor." It is one of my favorite Planetary Adventure books but there was never a sequel though if a novel ever called for one, this ones does. As you might recall, it ends like the first John Carter, Tarll Cabot, Green Star and Dray Prescot books, with the hero returned to Earth and praying for a way back to Barsoom, Gor, the World of the Green Star and Kregen.
      The blurb on the back cover includes:
      "Here is a novel in the grand tradition of John Carter, of Dray Prescot, of Tarl Cabot. Here is one man against a world, one man to save a princess, one man to fight, to lead. to conquer or die.
      Every one who loves high heroism on a distant planet will thrill to the mighty adventores of Robert of Eire of Ghandor."
      Isn't that right, Mefto?