6647Thoughts on "World's of ERB"

  • Steve
    Oct 9, 2013
      Some quick thoughts on "Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs," Edited by Mike Resnick and Robert T. Garcia."
      Wrap-around cover art by Dave Seely is awesome. Pellucidar w/Tarzan on the back and John Carter w/Deja Thoris on Barsoom on the front.
      The Dedication is well deserved: "To Joan Bledig, Keeper of the Flame. This one is definitely for you. -Mike and Bob"
      Introduction: Short but satisfactory.
      I cherry picked the stories that included: Tarzan, Pellucidar, Amtor, Poloda, Moon/Earth and Caspak. Note, I purposely did not read "Forgotten Seas of Mars" because I want to read "Llana of Gathol" first. Mike's tale of Barsoom is by far the best of what I read!
      "Tarzan and the Great War" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch: A tale set in North Africa during World War I. No lost cities and Jane is still missing. Not bad.
      "The Fallen, A Tale of Pellucidar" by Mercedes Lackey. I was intrigued by the Pendant World tie-in. This tale left me wanting more.
      "Scorpion Men of Venus" by Richard A. Lupoff. Starts of strong on Amtor but ends obscenely on Earth. Lupoff should know better than to have penned this tale!  PS Lupoff forgets how Napier parachuted into Amtor. Really!
      "Moon Maid Over Manhattan" by Peter David. Despite the corny title, a pretty darn good tale of the Orthis-led invasion by the Kalkars and the fates of Julian V and VI along with significant others.
      "Tarzan and the Martian Invaders" by Kevin J. Anderson and Sarah A. Hoyt. The Beasts of Tarzan meet the War of the Worlds. Not bad but I like Anderson's works with Brian Herbert on their Dune novels much better.
      "To the Nearest Planet" by Todd McAffrey. Tangor journeys to Tonos, which is nothing like Pern. A pretty boring adventure but with other planets to explore, Todd could do better.
      "The Dead World" by F. Paul Wilson. I was so excited by the premise but as Inns and Perry approach Pellucidar's moon, I lost all interest. What a let down!
      "Tarzan and the Land That Time Forgot" by Joe R. Lansdale. I enjoyed this combo of Tarzan and Caspak, as he travels from Pellucidar to Caprona, quite by accident. Lansdale adds a race that was never mentioned before. Seems unlikely but he weaves a nice tale.
      Bottom line, I was hoping for much better. Ypu'd think I'd learn by now...
      Thoar/Steve S.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic