6642Frank Westwood RIP - Sad news from Laurence

    Sep 29, 2013
      Frank Westwood, one of the founders of the British Edgar Rice Burroughs Society and editor of the society's journal The Fantastic Worlds of ERB, has sadly taken his final voyage down the River Iss. Earlier this year he had seen his doctor and told him that his heart was not working properly and had surgery for a triple by-pass operation. During his recovery period at home, he suffered a serious stroke that affected one side of his body. Only in recent weeks had he managed to start talking again and have some movement in his arm. He had only just moved into a care home in the last couple of weeks to assist in his recovery when I was given the sad news this morning by Rod Jackson, one of the co-founders of the Society.

      I first corresponded with Frank in late 1974 after an ad for the Society appeared in Science Fiction Monthly. It was a couple of years before I finally met both Frank and Rod at an event in London where the Society had a stand. It was the beginning of many years of visits and phone calls, attending our first ERB convention together in Louisville in '85 (although there had been a small get-together at the World SciFi Convention in Brighton, England in '79). Frank had hosted two conventions which took place in London and Greystoke Castle on both occasions. Many years ago he began writing a book titled the Martian manuscripts of ERB as the Barsoomian novels were amongst his favourite. Frank was not overly impressed by the movie John Carter, but at least he lived long enough to see Burroughs novel finally reach the big screen, unlike so many other friends that have passed away over the years.

      A very dear friend and a dedicated fan of ERB has been lost to us today.

      Laurence